• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding compound what the pros use?

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Mostly interested in the stuff Chad Dixion used
In his bedding video? I'm not a gun smith just interested
in what it is and different processes. When so many
Use marine text or others why does he use his stuff?
Seems cosmetic maybe??? I'm sure it's strong, but
It also gives his trademark mirror finish?? Or is this
Compound trade secrets?? Just curious

I've read it's either devcon or marine tex. If I had not already purchased devcon titanium, I would go with marine tex grey.

Chad uses/used Devcon Fasmetal 10 HVAC #19770. He might be using something different now, he seems keep that kind of info to himself these days which is understandable.

Mostly interested in the stuff Chad Dixion used In his bedding video? I'm not a gun smith just interestedin what it is and different processes. When so many Use marine text or others why does he use his stuff? Seems cosmetic maybe??? I'm sure it's strong, but It also gives his trademark mirror finish?? Or is this Compound trade secrets?? Just curious
976838_621611121266983_2257925953003274961_o.jpg
The devil is in the details gents. Compare bedding to ammunition prep. Weigh a case, a bullet, sort, ream a neck, match primers, powder selection, etc. Chances are the things are going to work really well. So, basically anything you can do to improve the ammo quality can be summarized with a potentially better end result.Much the same holds for bedding a stock.

We've failed a 100 times for every success. The lessons aren't cheap and thankfully the learning curve is largely over. We make small changes now. Little things that make life easier down the road. You only get this far by bedding a lot of guns. If you like our stuff then know it comes with lots of repetition. Release agents are often a passionate subject here on the hide. There's hundreds of posts that state kiwi and floor wax give the same appearance and work fine. They don't. Not every time. Just accept that. I've used them and made the switch for a reason.

A $10 tub of Johnson's paste wax will last a lifetime. A $20 can of mold release gets burned up a lot sooner. You spray the release in an even film. It flashes almost instantly. Once applied that's it. There is no further action required. With wax you may forget to buff out a spot and have a swirl. -Worse, you may miss a spot and bond the action to the stock permanently. It elevates the risk of not getting what you wanted and when your income depends on it the only way to make any money is to do it once.

99% of the bedding materials used work just fine. The hundreds of thousands of guns that shoot well validate this beyond argument I think. I've bedded rifles with almost every product ever mentioned on this site. You can emulate the cosmetic appearance with any of them. Just have to focus on prep work. Again, it boils down to finding a product and sticking with it. Trying every flavor only goes towards confusion because resin systems, while all very similar in principle, behave very differently. Ambient temp, humidity, etc. All of this stuff plays into working time. The more you use one product, the better you can adapt to what it's going to do.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:
just about any bedding or release agent will work. If its your first time and you get it perfect, you should go play the lottery too. Just like anything else, practice makes perfect. Id be willing to bet anyone who has done a lot of bedding is not doing it the same way as when they started.

As Chad said, find a product and go through the learning curve of its characteristics. We use Marine Tex and others use Devcon. Comparing them gains nothing. Repetitive use of a given product produces results. The devil is always in the details, ie prep. Release agent being one of the details.

Any of you guys hang your rifles while the epoxy cures? I was planning on hanging my rifle by the muzzle break, but now I am thinking if it might torc the action screws I am going to use.