• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding Compounds? Devcon still the standard?

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
What's the gold standard these days? Last time I looked into it a few years ago it seems that Devcon Steel Putty was the go to, everyone still using that?

And if you know the number (like 10110) of your preferred product please include that with your response as it seems that there's a few versions of everything these days.

Thanks
Jason

Devcon, marine tex, and if you want to spend more for ultra "good stuff", try Belzona.

Oh, and BTW, I also love Steel Bed from Brownells. It's Super easy to mix, and works fantastic!

I'm not a big fan of Devcon Putty, personally. It's too thick and doesn't squeeze out like I want it to. I plan on switching over to Marine Tex for the next bedding job I do.

If you want something that flows out JB Weld or similar is hard to beat.
For everything else I use Devcon , Kiwi clear shoe polish as release agent and plumbers putty for filling voids.

Devcon, marine tex, and if you want to spend more for ultra "good stuff", try Belzona.

Oooo, I'm intrigued....Belzona....it even sounds fancy!!

Thanks for the replies guys. I've used Devcon and ProBed, think I'l try Steel Bed on the next Brownells order and pick my favorite from those 3. Good to know that Devcon and Marine-Tex are still good options as they are both available locally in 5 minutes if I'm in a bind.

I have been using Marine Tex exclusively now for a few years. I use it a lot for stock texture work as well, great stuff and gives you a fair amount of "work time".

I just watched STR's youtube series on bedding and he was using MT there, I like the looks of the viscosity.

Can anyone comment on the Steel Bed viscosity vs Marine Tex..... Well I'm sure STR can....lol.

It's been a while since I've used Steel Bed, about 4 years now, but if I recall correctly, it is just a bit thicker. When you buy just the compounds, they are very close in price. If you buy the Steel Bed "KIT", you get F**k**. The kit just brings a bunch of stuff you don't need. I only stopped using it after taking a little trip to McMillan and see how well Marine Tex works for them. They have been bedding rifles longer than most, and you don't see many stocks going back to them because the bedding failed from proper use of the rifles. I still think Devcon and Steel Bed are great choices.

When mixing any thick/er epoxy don't whip it up like beating eggs, if you do you run the risk of trapping air in the epoxy and having a void. Scoop out the correct volumes or amounts and fold it over or stir it to mix together.
JB Weld & liquids flow out and release air bubbles fr better than the thicker epoxies no matter what you are using.

I've used both Marine Tex & Devcon with good results for several years. But over the past year I noticed the newer Devcon kits from Brownells have a larger container for the hardener, for the same amount of material. The hardener in the 1st one of these kits dried-up & turned to useless crap after only a couple of bedding jobs worth of compound had been used. Brownells replaced it with another kit at no cost, but in that one, the hardener container didn't have the usual foil seal under the lid, and it'd already dried-up before I got around to opening it. Brownells replaced that one too, but weren't too happy about it. Their suggestion - stop buying Devcon & switch to another product.

I called Devcon with the lot no.s of both kits and explained the problem; nope, they won't sell you another container of hardener, and since I'd bought them from Brownells, and they'd sent out new kits, they really weren't very interested in discussing it further with me. My shop's heated during the winter & a/c'd in the summer, and I've never had the hardener lid off for longer than it takes to get the proper amount out of the container. Never had this problem before they started putting the hardener in the larger container, and would really prefer to stick with the Devcon. May try buying a kit from Enco or other industrial supplier. But if it happens again....I've got nothing against Marine Tex, and would be willing to at least try Brownells Steel Bed.

May try buying a kit from Enco or other industrial supplier. But if it happens again....I've got nothing against Marine Tex, and would be willing to at least try Brownells Steel Bed.

The Devcon I just got from Amazon had the hardener in a large container. I'd doubt they're using a different container for some vendors. Perhaps I should repackage mine in a smaller container- or put it in the shop refrigerator.

Red,
Guess I don't understand why Devcon would switch to a container with at least twice the volume as the old one - never had a problem with the hardener until they started using the larger tub. Logical explanation for the problem I'm seeing would be more air in the tub, but if that's it, and they've gotten calls/complaints from customers outlining this issue.....WTF?

'Course, it could be that they've changed the chemical composition of the hardener for some reason (logical explanation would be pressure from the EPA or some other ding-bat Fed bureau). Whatever - I wish they'd figure it out and fix it.

I'm old school and use Brownells Acraglas Gel - it's the consistency of peanut butter and I have the timing down cold. Trim exterior over-flow in 2.5 hours. Pull and clean up internal over-flow in 6 hours.

I also use the Brownells Acra-Release. It shoots a super fine mist that get into every little corner and crevice.

Marine tex, devcon and steel bed have given me great results over the years. Steel bed's 20 minute cure timr isnt very forgiving if you make a mistake. Devcon is pretty fast too. Marinetex has a longer cure time so if you screw up youre not stuck (sometimes literally)

Im with skit on acra release-best stuff ever!!

Oh and by the way..... it is MARINE TEX. NOT marine text. Just a lil pet peeve of mine :)

I too have had several containers of Devcon hardner go to shit. I finally called Devcon and the fellow I talked to had been hearing of this problem and promptly sent another kit. It too went to crap in a pretty short time. Switched to Marine Tex and haven't looked back.

Wait a minute, devcon hardeners go bad? I haven't opened mine yet, do I need to check the stuff?

Usually it happens when the hardener is exposed to freezing temps.

I keep all of my adhesives for the shop in the house laundry room. It maintains a balmy temp and I don't have to worry about the stuff shitting the bed on me.

Belzona is boiler repair adhesive, costly, cool sounding, heavy duty and it works great. Be prepared to spend money on it though.

I've wondered whether it's the cold or heat in my shop that caused the Devcon hardener to crap-out, but like I mentioned, I've got an electric heat pump/AC unit out there, plus a LP wall furnace, and never let it get below around 45*F during the winter. There are times when it gets pretty warm out there, though - like when I'm in the field during a hot spell instead of working in the shop, and don't have the A/C running for a few consecutive days. Whatever - it's hard to understand why Devcon hasn't figured out what's happening and fixed the problem. Again, I never had an issue with the stuff until they went to the larger container for the hardener, and IIRC, it took me well over a year to use the 1st kit of Devcon I bought back in '05.

I have seen too many bedding jobs with Acraglas fail, usually after several years. Now this may have been from poor application, I don't know. However I have been using Marine Tex gray for a long ass time and have been very satisfied with the results. Like mentioned above when mixing any of these products don't stir it, fold it together. Also when applying it work it into the area being bedded, don't just scoop it in. Prep work is the name of the game, air pockets and a dirty work environment will kill a bedding job.

As a side note I build heavy duty diesel truck engines for a day job and have been using Marine Tex for years inside the cooling system to repair pitting and have had the chance to rebuild engines that I had built a decade ago and repaired with Marine Tex and it was still there going strong. Also I like the gray much better than the white, it seems to be a different material and provides a tougher product.

I have used Devcon and still have some.

But I now use Marine Tex. Just easier to work with and if I change barreled actions, I don't have to mill out the bedding material when I rebed. The MT comes out easily enough with a Dremel and some sandpaper.

I've used Devcon, Marine Tex, and JB Weld. I actually think JB worked the best. a 1:1 mixing ratio and the thinner epoxy flows well. I think Devcon is hardest to work with. That stuff can be hard to get to flow out of the recoil lug recess and can lift your action up. Just my opinion...

Yep, Belzona 1111 appears the most suitable of their products for bedding. They say shrinkage is less than .025%, which is pretty remarkable (Devcon 10110 is .06%, which is still great). Compressive strength and hardness also beat Devcon, although I think both are plenty strong for rifle bedding. Belzona's price is also head and shoulders above Devcon, though, so it depends on one's budget and priorities.

Last edited:
I have used several hundred pounds of Belzona and Devcon in heavy industry for many years, Devcon is what I use for rifle bedding. Belzona has some truly excellent products, a bit of topic but their rubber epoxy uses mercury, always a good time wearing a full face breather while working in a 140f temp ball mill.

I use Devcon and Marine Tex. Steel Bed is harder to mix. Probably a lot harder product in the end though.
Marine Tex is probably the easiest to work. I have had the Devcon go bad. I think I got some old stock. Got
another 4 lbs of it in and the last 3 bedding jobs went smooth. Had to be new stock, it was a lot "creamier" :)

I'm more use to Devcon and it gives me good results so I continue to use it. Don't think you can go wrong with either of them.