• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding Job - Release Agent removal?

AnschutzNerd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
World Traveler
Just finished a bedding job using: Kiwi shoe polish as a release agent.

What have you Personally used to remove the Kiwi? I have tried citrus wax remover that I use to remove wax from snow skis... to no avail.

On another note: The Devcon Plastic Steel and Kiwi combo worked great. Devcon > Marine-Tex for bedding!

AnschutzNerd

Re: Bedding Job - Release Agent removal?

Wipe the action down with WD 40 or any type of solvent.

Wax & Grease remover, available from any auto store that sells real automotive paints. Mine happens to be PPG brand. I use it prior to and after the Kiwi to clean the action and then to remove the Kiwi.

My gallon has lasted me about 16 years, so for the $35 I spent on it I've gotten my money's worth. Car projects, gun projects, you name it - it's great.

Not dubious.....just people answering the OP, with whatever worked for them. All good ideas.

OK, let me be clearer on this. To the OP, please keep all lubricants and solvents away from your bedding job as it will start to break down the compound - even Devcon. Lubricants will migrate as well, so think twice about using them even for small cleanup.

You should be very careful about allowing solvents in contact with your stock in general. Laminates can "fir" or glues compromised. Fiberglass can be "melted" if contact is allowed too long, and depending on the quality of the fiberglass. If your stock is already finished, then by all means keep the crap away from it.

There is no need to use anything stronger than a little rubbing alcohol for your cleanup and it will not harm anything by the freshest of hobby paint.

Granted, I am not a gunsmith by any means, but I have bedded (Devcon) and finished (duracoat, marine coat) about 30 stocks now, so I am not running around unarmed either.

I bedded my action over Thanksgiving weekend, I was not prepared for the release agent to be difficult to remove. I tried goo gone and it worked like a dream.

Thanks for the info guys!

A bit more citrus wax remover and mineral spirits, combined with elbow grease, worked in the end.

The stock is a McMillan and if anything, the bedding job is too tight around the receiver. The Play-doh and electrical tape is key area's helped but damn, it's solid. The action seperated with a rubber mallet and wooden dowel to push it out. This custom action (Kidd) is quite a bit trickier than a 700 to bed but, the end result looks great. Think... most ridiculous Squirrel rifle ever.

AnschutzNerd

Also... any of you ever melted (or broke down) Devcon "Plastic Steel" via chemicals? Please tell me what chemical(s) broke it down. I am curious.

I was in a pinch once, far from civilization. I glued an 12,000-lb Warn Winch back together with Devcon. I used two packages of the stuff, a drill and some steel pins. Then I used the winch every day for a month. Amazing stuff!

Marine Tex is good although, I have seen that break down and shrink. The break down involved direct exposure to the sun.

AnschutzNerd.

Devcon will break down with Bore Solvent and Paint thinner, so be sure to use a bore guide when cleaning. Other then that it seems to work great on two jobs Ive used it on.