• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding Job

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Do you have to use the pillars when beding an action? My Gunsmith said the bedding compound is stronger than the pillars. He recomened no to use them. ????? Need help with this one.

Re: Bedding Job

The reason you use pillars is to have a consistant torque on the action. With out pillars the stock can "crush" over time and leave you with uneven torque. Use the pillars.

I think that what your gunsmith may have been referring to was that a lot of benchrest gunsmiths believe in using the bedding material to do the bedding and the pillars instead of using metal materials for the pillars themselves.

Some do this with the thought that if there is one mass of material with the same properties vs. a combination of aluminum and bedding compound it works out to better consistency.

Brian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slinky001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that what your gunsmith may have been referring to was that a lot of benchrest gunsmiths believe in using the bedding material to do the bedding and the pillars instead of using metal materials for the pillars themselves.

Some do this with the thought that if there is one mass of material with the same properties vs. a combination of aluminum and bedding compound it works out to better consistency.

Brian </div></div>

Its best to use the pillars but when i do my own guns i leave the pillars about a 1/32" to 1/16" short and put compound over top of them. have found that the action tend to ride more on the pillars when used in direct contact. Just give you better grip and theres much less chance of the torque being changed.