• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding Job

JCH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Ok, I have 3 bedding jobs to do. I have watched Donovan bed one, but have never done one myself.

Two are Rem 700's, one in a McMillan A3, which I will do last to make sure I have the process down. The other 700 in a B&C Alaskan stock ADL version.

The one I am most concerned about is the Howa 1500 in 300 win mag that is a wooden thumbhole stock.

I will be using Marine Tex and coating action and metal with boot wax to make sure it can be seperated after. None of the stock will have pillars.

Anybody have any word of wisdom before I get home and try my hand this evening?

Re: Bedding Job

fit it a few times before you even mix the compound. Read the DIY thread that Roscoe and Scimitar posted. I just finished mine and wish it would look better but its not bad for a first time. Now i just have to get my scope to shoot and see if i did ok or not

Give Brad a ring, he'll walk you through it. I did my 1st one on the phone with him.

Remember, coat everything, even if you don't think you'll get bedding compound on it/in it.

We use Kiwi neutral shoe polish for release agent.

Use modeling clay to fill areas you don't want the bedding compound to fill, I use paste wax as a release agent, take your time and good luck.

do I need to do anything in particular with the howa action and the wooden stock?