• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding my first scope base....

Re: Bedding my first scope base....

AND???
confused.gif
picts or it didn't happen too...

Cool, were you just trying to get a perfect stress free fit, add a couple MOA or just playing around?

I'm going to play around with my .308 and try to squeeze a few more MOA out of mine so I can make it to 1200 yards a little easier.

Mark

LOL...

FAIL!

My release agent (Hornady Case Lube
grin.gif
) wasn't sufficient... I pulled it off in time to clean it off.

The base looks to be OK when I bolt it on, but seems to be a little off in the rear so I was just gonna bed the rear. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL...

FAIL!

grin.gif

The base looks to be OK when I bolt it on, but seems to be a little off in the rear so I was just gonna bed the rear. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow. </div></div>

Shoe polish.....

Oh it will work, just has black dye in it so be careful, I hate getting black fingers from it, thats why I choose neutral.

Also, if your rifle isnt black, you may want to go with the neutral, the black will tint just about any other color.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">black works fine, I have used both with the same results </div></div>

+1 and you can put it on oh-so thin and still works great.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL...

FAIL!

grin.gif

The base looks to be OK when I bolt it on, but seems to be a little off in the rear so I was just gonna bed the rear. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow. </div></div>

Damn glad I'm not the only one. Tried carwax for release agent and JB weld for bedding. Lets just say a whack with a mallet didn't pop it off, more like a wide flat screw driver prying on it and a new duracoat job is in order. It did bed perfect to the action though, just didn't want to let go of my duracoat
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL...

FAIL!

grin.gif

Damn glad I'm not the only one. Tried carwax for release agent and JB weld for bedding. Lets just say a whack with a mallet didn't pop it off, more like a wide flat screw driver prying on it and a new duracoat job is in order. <span style="font-weight: bold">It did bed perfect to the action though,</span> just didn't want to let go of my duracoat
eek.gif
. </div></div>

Then why even bother prying it off? Whats the point? Leave it glued onto the action.

Mostly panic at first,
blush.gif
. Plus I bought a 0 MOA base, will probably want to go 20 MOA in the future if it doesn't work out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL...

FAIL!

grin.gif

Shoe polish.....</div></div>

+1...beat me to it. try Kiwi neutral color shoe polish. from what I understand, it works better than dedicated release agents

A trick that SOMETIMES works when you stick something like a base on there....

Get "canned air" tip upside down and spray the base......
it is COLD.... sometimes it will cause the part to shrink rapidly enough that it will pop free on it's own.... YMMV

you know, if your base is already pretty flush with the receiver, just slap a small amount of blue or purple loctite on the base. Of course, if there is quite a bit of space in between, by all means use epoxy