• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding PRS stocks and chassis....

jaybic

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2017
rochester mn
Hello,
Just out of curiosity, what is everyones thoughts on bedding chassis, such as an MPA or a J Allen for PRS guns? How about stocks with mini chassis already installed like a Manners? I have noticed in a couple chassis that I have that when I tighten the front screw on my 700 clones, and then the rear action screw, I can feel the tang get pulled down. That is stress that is not a good thing and shouldnt be there right? OR am I splitting hairs?

Thanks,

Jamie

Plenty of people bed them. If it makes you feel better, it’s cheap and fine.

If you want to see if you really need to, torque it down properly and zero the rifle.

Then reasonably beat on it. Dead blow hammer or reasonable drops on the ground.

If it doesn’t hold zero (and it’s not the optic), bed it.

Also. It’s always going to do that if you tighten the front screw down more than the rear at first.

Also keep in mind that many 700 pattern actions aren’t all the same. Most chassis manufacturers make their chassis to *generally* match the most amount of them as possible.

So, bedding is going to be about the only way to make sure it’s a true custom fit.

I’ve lost count of people who have told me about wandering zero issues that were fixed by bedding a chassis.

i know for a fact that G&A Precision offers and option to bed the recoil lug and tang on the Manners Tac which has the mini chassis.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
My smith bedded the tang on my Manners minichassis, but it’s an older 1st gen. iirc the 2nd gen doesn’t need it.

Reactions: 6brshooter
Also keep in mind that many 700 pattern actions aren’t all the same. Most chassis manufacturers make their chassis to *generally* match the most amount of them as possible.

So, bedding is going to be about the only way to make sure it’s a true custom fit.

I’ve lost count of people who have told me about wandering zero issues that were fixed by bedding a chassis.
This is one of the reasons that I was seriously looking at the Cadex comp chassis systems because the chassis is specific to the action and has their roller bedding solution. Of course, went with an AXMC in the end but still interested in trying Cadex out.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
This is one of the reasons that I was seriously looking at the Cadex comp chassis systems because the chassis is specific to the action and has their roller bedding solution. Of course, went with an AXMC in the end but still interested in trying Cadex out.

I owned one for about a week. I was pretty impressed with the build quality.

Some other stocks and chassis fit my hand better. But the cadex was too notch.

With the ergo vertical group out now, I might revisit one.

Reactions: jtackmann
Usually there is no need to bed a chassis/mini-chassis.
BUT, I did bed my Manners with mini-chassis as I got lot of suspicions about the contact surface they got. It changed a lot while bedded (zero is now always good even if I remove the action from the stock, then put it back. Zero don't change now.)
I've tried my MDT ACC and it look like no need to bed, the zero is always at the same place if I remove and replace my action.

To know if you're better to bed you chassis, do as [U]Dthomas3523[/U] told you at the beginning, it's a good tip to Hammer or drop you rifle around and see if the zero move.

dropping it on the ground seems like a terrible idea.....mushy, soft ground, asphalt, gravel....cornfield??? I dont mind having them bedded but then if I try to sell it later on, does that become a negative? anyone here bedding a J Allen?

dropping it on the ground seems like a terrible idea.....mushy, soft ground, asphalt, gravel....cornfield??? I dont mind having them bedded but then if I try to sell it later on, does that become a negative? anyone here bedding a J Allen?

Anywhere. If I spend $9k on a rifle/optic/accessories, I better be able to drop it or beat in it without issue. These are tools, not show pieces.

The alternative is a plastic dead blow hammer.

I bedded my manners with gen2 mini chassis and am very happ with the way it turned out. Not sure if it was really needed but the rifle absolutely doesn’t shoot worse and I’m more confident in it. When putting the action back in the chassis after a barrel change or other maintenance it is awesome the way it fits in there. Almost feels like you don’t even need action screws it’s in there so solid.

Reactions: sab567