• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding question, release agents *all is good*

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
So I read Williams thread on bedding several times. Bought some Marine Tex gray (what was readily available) and Johnsons no buff floor wax for release agent. After application of the Johnsons and it drying, I cannot feel any "film" or what I would consider a barrier to keep the epoxy from sticking. I then tried Meguiars car wax and Hornady one shot, not at the same time although. I cleaned with denatured alcohol prior to each different application. Same result. The action is a Rem LTR which has a coarse black finish. I would assume I would be able to feel some sort of barrier but I cannot. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Re: Bedding question, release agents

Can't help you on floor wax, but I have bedded about 6 rifles now, and have always used shoe polish, I can feel the thin coat sheen after application, and my actions always release from stock w/ light tapping...

I've used Meguiars car wax and worked perfect.

I've used olive oil it seemed to work pretty well. Be generous with whatever you decide to use. Too light and it won't work, too much and it'll thin out your bedding compound.

Thanks guys. Think I am going to pass on bedding it for now, something just does not seem right. I may buy some true bedding release agent and see how that works.

Hello,

I've bedded a few rifles and both times I used Kiwi Shoe polish, neutral color. Just rub a thin coat on, let it dry, and polish it smooth. For the bedding compound, I used 3M devcon.

-Matt

I used Kiwi shoe polish (black, it's all they had) and it worked out great.

I use Johnsons paste wax or Hornady One Shot. Most of the time I use the One Shot.

Does the wax leave the surface smooth/slick after buffing? I may try the Kiwi and see how it feels.

I tried several "layers" of One Shot and could not really feel anything. I can feel it on brass as it leaves a "slick" feeling but, nothing on the action.

Thanks

If you want to put yourself at ease, take a piece of flat steel or steel pipe, apply a few different types of wax and then apply a small test spot of MarineTex, see for yourself which releases better after the epoxy sets up.

I use standard mold release wax or poly vinyl alcohol, which is sprayed out of a gun, makes a super thin "glove" that will ensure the action pops right out.

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. Think I am going to pass on bedding it for now, something just does not seem right. I may buy some true bedding release agent and see how that works. </div></div>

I've used Brownell's spray release for years. it works perfect every time, and cleans off easy.

Well, I applied 4 "layers" of the One Shot and it had a waxy feel to it so, I went ahead and bedded it. Only time will tell now
eek.gif

I know what your going through. My brother snapped a pic of my worried look the first time I bedded a rifle. I came out just fine.

20zduvl.jpg

kiwi neutral, and dude, i waxed it like 10 times. it will dry to a haze and then you buff. then i thought did i buff too much? so i just kept waxing and buffing, lol. but i did use a metal hexagon rod and tested the release that way. it came out perfect. well the clay intruded and a spot didnt get bedded. i was freaking. i just added more epoxy in that little spot and reset in in there and it came out perfect then

You'll be fine. I just did 6 rifles in the last two days with Johnsons one step, and it worked great. If it feels waxy, your'e fine. Post pics when you're done.

Re: Bedding question, release agents *all is good*

It all worked out. It was a bit tough to pop out likely because I had to wait overnight for it to cure. Won't start a project like that late again. No epoxy pulled away, not pretty but it'll work. Much more solid contact now. The lug is nice and tight, no sloppiness. Thanks again for the help.
Before dremel clean up...
DSCN0205.jpg

And after...
DSCN0206.jpg

Nice job brother. I recently did my first bedding job on my .308 Savage and did 3 runs. First.. sucked.. I used Johnson's and then a coat of One Shot on top. This was bad.. the One Shot ate away the Johnson's. Plus I pulled out to early (insert joke here).

Second time I used the Johnson's with MarineTex and put 3 coats on with a paper towel. Waxed like my truck in circles then let dry and did a light buff with a clean towel. Then repeated 3 times. Left in stock for about 6hrs at 64 degrees and turned out pretty good. Only problem was a put too little bedding compound in this time.

Thrid time.. same as above but with plenty of compound. Perfect!

The main thing is to just get good coverage.. buff a little to get the haze off.. then repeat 3-5 times (which ever makes you feel more comfortable.) Then install and let her go .. you will be fine.. just trust the process. That is the hardest part.

I just pulled my second rifle using Hornady Unique brass lube and I am goingnto keep musing it. Works well and I always have some on the reloading bench. I still get that tight feeling in my nuts before I pull one.

I have used plain old vaseline and it works fine. Also used the Brownell's release agent that comes with Accraglass. Most recently I bought a can of spray release agent from a local plastics supply house. They called it mold release agent. It comes in a can just like spray paint, and works great. That is the easiest thing I have used so far...just hold up the action, hose it down, let it dry. Cost was about $12.50 for a can the size of a large Krylon can. I think I used about 5 seconds worth to put on 3 coats.

The action popped right out..easiest thing I have used yet.

This is the rifle all completed. Stock LTR bedded of course, Timney trigger, Badger knob and FTE brake, TPS rings, NF base, Bushnell 10x40 mil/mil. Now for some load development.
DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

Nice job and good looking rifle. Just curious...did you shoot it before the bedding job to get a baseline? I've heard anywhere's from no accuracy increase to as much as 3/4 moa after a good bedding job depending on the fit of the action in the stock.

No, have yet to fire it. The previous owner claimed about 5/8-3/4 inch with FGMM. It "appeared" as though the action was moving against the aluminum block. Could have just looked that way but I figured it wouldn't hurt and I was looking to try bedding. There was also a huge gap between the recoil lug and the stock as well which could allow movement. It is nice and solid now.