• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding question Rem 700

TrapperJ

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
South FL
I've checked various bedding tutorials but one point hasn't been answered. When bedding a Remington action ( which is round)with the pillars attached, how do you keep the action square in the stock? The pillar holes are oversize. The area around the action is clearanced. The barrel is wrapped with electrical tape to maintain free float. The recoil lug is taped and the back and sides are opened up. NOW the action looks like it can rotate on the free floated barrel wrap. How do you keep it square to the stock without rotating? Most tutorials don't attach the trigger guard with guide screws if bedding action and pillar together.. I think pillar bedding as a first step would be easier.

Re: Bedding question Rem 700

Buy some 3.5" bolts that are the same thread size as your action and cut the heads off of them. Thread them into your action and wrap some masking tape around the studs so they are just snug enough to take out the slop when the action is dropped into the bedding compound. This will keep the action centered and also keep it from rotating in the stock.

This is how i did it when i bedded my A4 which already had the pillars installed by McMillan and it worked pretty well.

Sorry, i was thinking your pillars were already installed.

I would think the lug well and rear tang together should keep the action true enough in the stock where you would'nt notice any small cant in the action if there was any.

I level the stock first in a gun vise then lock it into place. Next I use a scope leveling tool that fits in the raceway of the action. Then i slightly rotate the barrel until the reciever is level with the stock. Once the stock and action are where i want them i check one last time to make sure everthing is square and then leave it alone to cure.

Thanks MuleHunter. That's the only way I could think of. I was hoping there was a short cut.

Screws required for Remington 700 are 1/4-28. Go to Brownell's or Midway and get a set of stockmaker screws for Remington 700 or get some 1/4 rod and buy a 1/4-28 and make up a set.

I just bought some long screws from the local bolt supply store and put shrink sleeve on them.
P1000315-1.jpg

P1000314-1.jpg