• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding question--

ipscmaster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
North Carolina
Has anyone on here tryed Marine tex as a bedding material?
If so, what did you use as a release agent?
What do you all think is the best bedding compound??
Thanks for any help.. ipscmaster

Re: Bedding question--

Marine tex is a good bedding compound.

As far as release agent goes kiwi neutral shoe polish, johnsons paste wax work great.

The best compound is probably devcon 10110. That is what a lot of people use.

Marinetex is the prefered product for the skim coat.
As far as release agent, Rust Guardit by Kleen-Bore works well.
bestmemory_2102_431472461.jpg

try these three posts too, plus look at a few youtube vids to get an idea of the mechanics....

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1649065#Post1649065

one thing, the devcon 10110 is great and most popular i think due to the additives in it. they use steel or aluminum or even titanium now. i have read that the grey or gray marine-tex has metal added and the white does not. but there are also plenty of actual bedding compound kits available in midway and brownells

When I glass bed two piece scope mounts, the release agent on the screws must later be removed so Loctite will bond. Getting release agent off the screws is easy, getting release agent out of the drilled and tapped screw holes in the receiver is hard.
I use a thin lawyer of light oil as the release agent. I can get that out with Q-tips and alcohol.

For release agent on a barrelled receiver where it touches the stock, I use Redding Imperial die wax. No special reason. Zillions of things will work perfectly. I just have it handy.

Thanks for all the help. I finished bedding my rifle today and I am guite pleased. I have only one small void and it is not going to cause a problem. I used the Marine-Tex and found it very easy to work with. The paste wax was a great release agent and the bedding job looks "almost" like a pro did it. My only problem was not putting all of the epoxy in the stock and I was a little early trying to clean the stock up, but I learned a great deal about bedding. The pillars are rock solid with no stress. Thanks again to all for your help.
ipscmaster