• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding question

jrpilot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
How far in front of the lug do you bed. Just tryng to see what most people do when they bed thier rifles. I have seen some bed 1.5in, and others dont bed any. When I bed a light barrel, I dont bed any. When I bed a heavy barrel, I bed the first 1.5in. What are you guys dong?

Re: Bedding question

Looks like your approach is pretty consistent with general recommendations I'm familiar with. Heavy barreled receiver does benefit from part of the barrel itself being also supported in one way or the other, unless receiver is extremely strong by design.

I don't bed heavy barrels forward of the recoil lug. If it is a light barrel, then I bed up to where the cylinder stops. It may not be the standard, but it's what I learned to do, and it works very well provided you are using a quality barrel. This is something I learned from two very experienced rifle smiths. One of which has been doing nothing but bedding jobs for over 20 years. Good luck with what ever way you decide to go with.

along with much of the precision rifle stuff, it would be extremely hard to prove one way is better than the other. that doesn't stop the opinions on the matter though.

i personally like to bed the first 1-1/2" of a heavy barrel but wouldn't say someone was wrong for not bedding the barrel at all.

I have seen very acurate rifles done both ways. I believe LA Precision doesnt bed in front of the lug, and his rifles shoot great as we all know.

I get the best accuracy when bedding Mausers when I bed the first inch of barrel forward of the receiver.

It is a subtly, as bedding does not deliver accuracy improvements like throwing out the expander ball.