• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding Rem 700 5R rifle

308Dude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Northern CA
This is my first attempt at bedding a rifle. If it weren't for this recession, I would have paid someone to do it. That plus the excellent write-ups found on this forum gave me the impetus to give it a go. Listed below are some links to other threads on the Hide that I found particularly helpful. There are lots of tips out there and I won't try to repeat them all here.

Reference #1
Reference #2
Reference #3
Reference #4

The stock is a standard HS Precision for the 5R having an aluminum bedding block. I found that it actually touched the action in only a small percentage of the area where you might think it should be touching. Here is a picture before I did anything.
IMG_2404.jpg

Preparations included making temporary guide bolts out of 1/4" steel rod, masking the stock, fitting a barrel "doughnut", removing the trigger assembly, applying putty, milling the bed, and taping the front and sides of the recoil lug with electrical tape. In this next pic you can see the "doughnut", which with the rear tang area suspends the whole action off the stock.
IMG_1213.jpg

Here you can see the rear half of the action. I've plugged up holes and created dams with plumber's putty to keep the Devcon where I want it or out of where I don't want it. You can also see my custom guide bolts made from 1/4" steel bar stock and approx 5/16" of 28 tpi threads. There's electrical tape around them to center them in the stock holes.
IMG_1202.jpg

The next two photos show the front and rear bed areas. I used a dremel to mill out material so that the Devcon can get a good bite on the stock. Also seen is all the plumber's putty I used to block the Devcon from flowing where it wasn't wanted. In this next pic you can see the front dam made up of many masking tape layers and some plumber's putty.
IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

I blow away all the dust and give the bed a good cleaning with alcohol. I also apply my release agent. Several types are recommended. See the references. I'd probably try carnuba wax or kiwi shoe polish next time but this time I used Feed'n Wax plus a coat of silicone spray.
IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

The action is greased up and the stock is putty'd so sandwich it all up and hold it together with some electrical tape. I wrapped it firmly and just enough to stretch it a little.
IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

After like 45 minutes, my excess Devcon is firming up so I trim off the parts that squeezed out using a plastic knife. Wnroscoe recommends using WD40 + Qtips. I didn't learn that tip until afterwards and will try that instead next time. The knife worked okay but required some extra dremel time that I might have been able to avoid.
IMG_1214.jpg

...to be continued...

Re: Bedding Rem 700 5R

My heart stopped when I yanked and yanked on the action and it wouldn't come out. Tap tap tap. Crap! Better grab the 3 lbs sledge. Bang bang bang. Crap! Crap! Bang Bang POP! Wheeew! Beads of sweat drip off my head. Here you can see the untrimmed Devcon as i saw it for the first time.
IMG_1216.jpg

And here is the finished bed job. I used a dremel to clean up the edges and grind off the excess overhangs.
IMG_1230.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did it improve the groups?</div></div>

It's a little premature to say for sure but my early results suggest I may have improved my typical groups by .1-.2 MOA. Or to put it another way, from just over half-MOA to just under half-MOA.

Nicely done! My first bedding job, and couple of subsequent ones, looked like poop.

Last night I bedded a 700 in a McMillan A2 and used the knife to trim around the action. Next time I will give the WD40 a trial run.

I found that the knife kinda smeared Devcon on the action a little. I'm guessing that when using WD40 you want to do it early while stuff is still soft.

How come you dont just use your regular action screws to holt the action in? I have thought about trying this but i am not sure i am ready yet. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How come you dont just use your regular action screws to holt the action in? I have thought about trying this but i am not sure i am ready yet. Lee </div></div>

you can thats one way to do, but its thought to induce stress in the bedding as opposed to just letting it float with long action screws going down through the pillars doesnt induce stress in the action if im not mistaken. There are a numerous amount of ways to skin this cat. I have bedded my rifles without using the action screws and using longer ones that center the action up, and then i bedded a rifle last night that i had to use the action screws

Yes I did the camo myself. You can read about it at this URL.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...903#Post1284903

As for action screws, he's right about the stress thing. In a non-bedded stock, the action gets torqued or stressed when the screws are tightened. Tightening the screws during the bedding process is counter productive. So I made long guide screws and held it together with tape. Others have used surgical tubing or bicycle inner tube.

Put a little Teflon pipe tape over the threads to avoid locking them in.

Like mmedearis509 said, almost gives me the confidence to do it to my 5R...almost lol. Im gonna go ahead and do it here in the next month. Posts like these are good to read

Looks great, nicely done! I think that I'll gonna try this on my 5R.

However, I was also wanted to bed my action because the barrel does not run parallel with the channel. It is left biased. Is bedding the action the correct procedure to correct this issue?

Definantely needs bedding.

-Loosened both action screws.
-Snugged rear screw. At this point the barrel is pretty centered in the channel.
-Slowly tightened the front screw. Barrel starts to seat and then begins to TWIST and CANT to the left as the screw gets tighter.

Already ordered some devcon and marine-tex. This will be my first bedding job and it won't be pretty.

Small children and women need not see what comes next!