• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding Remington 700 sps tac

skydive91

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Iowa City, Iowa
I plan on getting the remington 700 tac in .308 and put a bipod on it, and i was curious of i needed to bed it? If so what kind of bedding.

PS. not completly clear on what bedding is and does.

Re: Bedding Remington 700 sps tac

First, the stock flexes so you'll want to expand the channel the barrel sits in, or get a non-flexing stock.

Bedding is using a material (in the old days it was fiberglass) which was put between the receiver and the stock and allowed to harden. In the real old days, you would bed the entire length of the barrel where it contacted the stock).

It supports and stabilizes the action.

There is a lot more to learn before you try it, and various precautions to take so you don't ruin the rifle.

For mine, I bought a stock from manners and had them bed the action.

How much does a decent stock cost im only 18 so i dont have a lot of money and can any gunsmith bed a rifle?

The SPS tac stock leaves a lot to desire, keep your eyes open for guys selling a PSS stock. You can usually find them for around $150-$200. It's a good stock for not a lot of money. Good luck.

Yes any gunsmith can bed a rifle. But so can you. If you do some research you will see how its done. There is a thread in the Gunsmithing section "Bedding Project" and if you go to HateCA's website R&D Precision he has a tutorial as well.

Here is some tips to get you started. Use a file or some 60-80 grit sandpaper and clear out the barrel channel. Minimum you want to be able to slide a dollar bill down the length of the barrel when its mounted in the stock. Bedding material shouldnt cost you more than 40 bux. Take your time and follow the instructions you find. You can also adjust the trigger to make the pull lighter and crisper.
The rest of your time and money should be spent on trigger time and ammo. Dry fire the shit out of it. Spend time in your preferred shooting position and work on breathing and trigger pull. That will make you a better shooter than any amount of gunsmithing.

The problem is unless the stock has an aluminum bedding liner is to find a material that will adhere to the plastic stock. I know a plastic stock designer and we have talked at length and he is not aware of anything (bedding material) that will adhere.
My original thought was to pillar bed the stock (similar to what Savage does) and to secure the pillars to the stock.

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/pillar.html

Again we can't figure out how to secure the pillars.

I used JB Weld on the factory ADL stock. Didnt have any issues there. Pillars would just have to be shored up with a fair amount of bedding compound. Marine-tex and Devcon shouldnt have an issue doing the job.