• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding Remington Plastic Stocks

Hummer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
SC Cradle of the Confederacy
The Rem 700 plastic stocks are mesh filled polypropolene. Had anyone found anything that will stick to it to bed with?

JB Weld won't work, Devcon won't work, Marinetex won't work. Anybody tried anything else and work or didn't work.

Re: Bedding Remington Plastic Stocks

The best way I know of is these 4 simple steps.

1. Take the plastic junker and toss it in the dumpster.

2. Buy a good stock.

3. Bed the good stock.

4. Enjoy knowing you made the right decision and didnt waste your time with the plastic junker.

Stocks and glass are where most try and pinch pennies, big mistake.

Trash the plastic and get a real stock, you'll be glad you did.

7mmRM is probably right. I'm hardheaded and cheap so I bought the Miles Gilbert kit from Midway and ground out the ice cube tray dividers in mine and put steel barstock in mine to reinforce the flimsy forearm. I scuffed all the surfaces with the Dremel while I was operating and cleaned them all with plastic safe action blaster. The bedding is still adhering after riding around on my ATV and getting banged around while varmint hunting about a year and a half after doing the job. I'll likely order a real stock this month or next now that money is here.

Probed will stick to the plastic stocks but you must first go over all areas with a dremel tool and rough it up, then degree's it. We bed quite a few of the Rem stocks and it will help.

One thing you will need to do is make a small dam 1" ahead of the recoil lug area and pour bedding in there first since this area is hollow and let it set up. This will give you an area to bed in front of the recoil lug but dont go much past 1" in front of the recoil lug.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

With the low prices of B&C stocks, I would never consider keeping the plastic stock! How cheap do you have to be to not want to pay $200 for a quality stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best way I know of is these 4 simple steps.

1. Take the plastic junker and toss it in the dumpster.

2. Buy a good stock.

3. Bed the good stock.

4. Enjoy knowing you made the right decision and didnt waste your time with the plastic junker. </div></div>

+1, if you still have doubt, read them again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the low prices of B&C stocks, I would never consider keeping the plastic stock! How cheap do you have to be to not want to pay $200 for a quality stock? </div></div>

I'm not sure about the o.p., I was into the hospital for about $4k and bills were stacking. I did it because it was a $25 fix to a $525 rifle that wouldn't group less than 5" at 100yds. I knew I would get the bills paid and be able to keep the rifle, but a new stock was not in the budget right then. It got me by for a year and a half and I'm going to buy that B & C this year. Besides, it was a great practice stock to learn bedding and camo technique on.

Just for practice, I bedded my Remy M7 plastic junker with acraglass from Brownells with the included fiberglass fibers. Just roughed it with sandpaper 1st. No question it stuck permanent, I have hunted it hard for 7-8 yrs, and this little .308 mtn rifle gets shot a lot. It shot so good I cant bear to change a thing...

i found the price i was hoping for now i need to find the cash
the one i am looking at is the # 2958 medallist varmint, however i am interested in input from those more experienced, rifle is a 700 varmint in 223 bone stock and staying that way except for the stock. requirements light to medium weight minimal work to fit the action plenty of barrel clearance and a low price point due to right now the rifle is a paperweight and i need a damn stock. (Full time college student with no cash, the family gets it all)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i found the price i was hoping for now i need to find the cash
the one i am looking at is the # 2958 medallist varmint, however i am interested in input from those more experienced, rifle is a 700 varmint in 223 bone stock and staying that way except for the stock. requirements light to medium weight minimal work to fit the action plenty of barrel clearance and a low price point due to right now the rifle is a paperweight and i need a damn stock. (Full time college student with no cash, the family gets it all) </div></div>

Check out this one, http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1136 its a great deal if you ask me.

Stockys is GTG. Bought 3 stocks from them. No problems.

sounds good thanks guys,
i stopgapped it until i can get the money together but had to remove WAY more material then i expected to get the damn barrel to clear glass bedded the action next week i will get on the line with it and seee what it does (cant get much worse then it was)