• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding Rings to add MOA Cant???

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
With my most recent project being a 300 BLK upper, I am finding myself needing lots of elevation due to the steep trajectory when using subsonic 220 grain SMKs.
I do not want to use a base to get the additional cant and was hoping to get it via the rings.

I'm using the ARMS #22 Medium rings with a Mark 4 LR/T 3-10x40mm FF mounted to an ARMS #38SPR PEQ-2-3 Rail.
Is there a way to modify the rings to gain extra elevation?
Anyone know of a process to bed the rings so that some elevation can be gained that way?
Is there a shop that is offering any of these options as a service?
P1010272_WEB.jpg

I do fully realize that the most appropriate solution is to use a base,
but I would rather just dial in all the available elevation I have currently and then use hold overs if it came down to that.

Thanks for any and all info / suggestions...

Re: Bedding Rings to add MOA Cant???

You have a few things working against you for this project:

1. Aluminum sucks when it comes to epoxy sticking to it well/permanently. Just ask an aerospace engineer.

2. An AR platform is a pretty violent one in terms of what it does to sticky stuff. The rifles recoil in both directions essentially. In the early days rifle scopes didn't last all that long. (just like spring air bb guns essentially) Again, this is only going to accelerate the wear/tear on epoxy.

If it were me I'd cry once and buy the right part to do what you want.

Anything worth doing more than once is worth doing the right way the first time.

Good luck.

C

Thanks for the info...
It isn't about the cost of a rail, it is the additional height of the optic, weight / balance and disruption of an otherwise clean look.
Its not a safe queen or built for looks, but I would still like to keep it clean.
This rifle gets shot at least once a week and is run pretty hard.
Having to use hold overs isn't the end of the world, but the M1 turrets would be very useful in this application.

A solution that I saw used on another members rifle that he was selling here was to use the A.R.M.S.® #35™QD Throw Lever® Mount along with the A.R.M.S.® #35™ Rings that screw into the base.
He then had a machine shop modify the bottom of the mounting surface of the rings to achieve the 20 MOA cant.
ARMS.jpg

dont they make a set of offset rings?? or offset inserts for windage? could they not also add moa?

oh yeah, nice frikking rifle man

I have a PM, Post, and E-mail into member "GhostFace" who had the A.R.M.S.® #35™ setup posted in the for sale section but didn't hear anything from him yet.

I wonder if getting the Burris inserts and then having the A.R.M.S. rings opened up to match the inserts, would be a viable option?