• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding scope mount on 700?

Skyyr

Aviator
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
TN
I've got a 5R and a Badger 0 MOA base. I've read several posts and reviews where they say to bed the base... or at least use locktite to fill any voids between the rail and the action to prevent rust.

Is it better to use the locktite? Or to actually bed the action? How important is either option? If I go the bedding route, is it something relatively easy to do?

Thanks =)

Re: Bedding scope mount on 700?

I bedded mine (700 SPS varmint) per LoneWolf's video from the budget precision rifle build. Not difficult at all and worked great.

Go for it. Prep is the key.

Generally, the base is bedded to the action if the action is not true, meaning the base torques when mounted on the action. If you have access to scope ring alignment tools, you can mount rings on the base with the alignment tools mounted in the rings and then torque the base on the action and see what happens.

Using Locktite to fill the minor gaps between base and action will not true the base/action fit, but as you have read it is designed to prevent water from entering under the base.

Kirk R

A long time ago I had an issue with a 30 MOA base that for some reason didn't seem to have 30 MOA, it was acting more like a 20 MOA base. Went round and round until it was recommended to remove the rear screws and see if there was any airspace between the base and action. Sure enough there was so I bedded the rear of the base and suddenly my zero issues were remedied. It's not a difficult process and it's something that I'm doing to my new AAC SD later today.

If the base does need to be bedded, is there a certain compound that is better than the others?

If only one side of the base needs to be bedded, should the other side be locktited? What kind of locktite is best? Is a release agent used with the locktite as well? Or will it come off on its own without it?

Also, in that video, he did not show/mention how he got the Playdough out of the receiver holes. How did he do that?

I've used JB Weld to bed bases just like LoneWoldUSMC but all you'll really doing is creating a pad that takes up the excess space between the base and receiver. I always use blue loctite on the base screws and torque to at least 18 in/lbs. The blue loctite will hold fast but can be turned out without the need for heat like you would red loctite. To get the playdough out of the screw holes just push it out with a toothpick or something and throughly clean the threads with a q-tip and degreaser.

I use JB weld kwik (350 F melt point) with no release agent - so the base and screws are epoxied to the action

to remove; just put the hot air gun on the base until the screws will turn with only moderate resistance, after the screws are out, give the base a tap with a plastic mallet - clean up the epoxy that is still sticking with a popsicle stick and some more hot air

Just got done bedding a Leupold base on my R700. The base needed it, as it was short on the rear pad, and JB Weld did the trick. The old Leupold base I removed, was a perfect fit. Leupold must be slipping in the QC department as of late!