• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding suggestion.

9sigman45

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
King, NC
I'd consider myself fairly handy and very detail oriented. However I'm certainly not a "gunsmith". Sure I've built more AKs (from flats) and assembled more ARs and FALs than I'd ever admitt to, but in my mind that's far from the work that a "precision" gunsmith does. With that said, is pillar / skim bedding a rifle better left to the professionals or should I do it myself? While George and the gange is working on my 1st custom bolt gun (it'll be Christmas time before it arrives), I've decided to spruce-up a SPS-V. I bought a McMillan A-5 from JW Precision that needs to be bedded. Should I send it out and wait, or order the materials from Midway or Brownells and give it a go myself? What's the consensus?
Thanks in advanced!

Re: Bedding suggestion.

Do it yourself, There is more than enough info on the hide to get you going in the right direction and its really not that hard anyway.

Follow Roscoes thread from a month or two back and enjoy the results. Being your first time I would be inclined to tape the crap out of the stock and have plenty of q-tips and stuff handy. It seems like the first couple of times I had little bits of bedding going everywhere.

It can be done if you take your time and follow the instructions or directions of those that have done many.

For your first job I recommend you use products that are meant for bedding and not some internet suggestions.

If you're not sure of yourself have someone help you that have done a few, if just to look over your shoulder so you don't get into trouble.

One thing I will say, and this is not to discourage you or anyone else, (I've helped many over the phone and with email) if you screw it up and need it fixed or re-done be prepared to pay extra for the fix.

Good luck, have any questions feel free to shoot me an email.

Try rolling paper into a cone. Fill the pointy end with the bedding material, close the big end by rolling it and using a clip or spring clothespin, cut the tip to about a 1/8" diameter, and squeeze the cone like a tube of toothpaste to dispense the bedding compound. It's neater and more precise, and when you're all done, you can just toss it all into the trash. This technique simply duplicates a standard cake decorating method.

Even easier - fill bedding materiel into a sturdy plastic bag (ziplock types work well), cut off the corner, and use as Greg said - you don't have to fiddle with keeping the cone formed.

Works very well at filling deviled eggs, too.
wink.gif

Medical siringe will work very good also.i use one everytime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Medical siringe will work very good also.i use one everytime. </div></div>Agreed, though NY's asinine anti-drug rules make them difficult to obtain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Medical siringe will work very good also.i use one everytime. </div></div>Agreed, though NY's asinine anti-drug rules make them difficult to obtain. </div></div>

Dude, seriously, go to the grocery store and buy a marinade injector. Bada bing, you're all set. Some marindaes even come with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ALWAYS!!!!!!! </div></div>

Really? What if it shoots better without bedding?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ALWAYS!!!!!!! </div></div>

Really? What if it shoots better without bedding? </div></div>

How would you know without bedding it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ALWAYS!!!!!!! </div></div>

Has anyone read what this Shooter308 INDIVIDUAL has posted yet? Take a look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ALWAYS!!!!!!! </div></div>

Has anyone read what this Shooter308 INDIVIDUAL has posted yet? Take a look.

</div></div>

I think he has good posts, I mean "nice gun, LOL, good price, etc" are all acceptable posts, don't you?

There are 2 very good threads running with detailed info on bedding. I just did my first rifle and it turned out good. Like mentioned above, take your time. The only real decision I had to make was what to use for a release agent. Seems that across the board there are several "favorites", I went with Kiwi Neutral Shoe Polish in combo with the Devcon Steel Putty. It sat all night and popped out the next morning without issue.

If I can do it then I think anyone on this site following the 2 existing threads should be able to do it.

Definately give it shot yourself. I've used brownells kits, The epoxy is a gel so it doesnt run and it comes with release agent. It is blue and works and dries to a filmy-plastic consitency that works pretty well.

Please try it yourself, Sigman. With the quality of some of your other work that I have seen, you have nothing to worry about. Follow roscoes thread about keeping the bed-job stress free and have at it!

AG in NC