• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding the Howa action

single shot

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
Colorado
I need a little help with a bed job on a Howa is there any thing I should know about the recoil lug bedding mine has pillers under the recoil lug but. it all so has a .125 space under it on 700 actions you should have .020 or so under it but on a Howa I would think it should be contacting the piller. advice please .thanks

Re: Bedding the Howa action

Col Whelen's rule was that the ONLY part of the recoil lug that should touch anything was the backside. Always works(ed) for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Col Whelen's rule was that the ONLY part of the recoil lug that should touch anything was the backside. Always works(ed) for me. </div></div>

I think it might be different for a Howa, as I think the receiver bolts actually screw into the recoil lug on the Howas. But I could be mistaken.

I believe, glueing in a rifle with a material that has a similar thermal expansion as the action material would be the ultimate bedding.
Second best is bedding absolutely stiff, again with a material of similar thermal expansion and possibly close (e-modul) stiffness as the action.
Why on earth would one half bed??? So that the action can recoil off the half bedded lug and stop where? Sorry I do not see the point.

What I actually do is a complete bedding job and then glue in the action with a tiny bit of very thin hydraulic sealant loctite 542. The action can be removed later with out problems and because the inlett was slightly oily the rest of the loctite comes out to.

A howa action bedded with carbon epoxy mix. No pillars needed with these stocks.
edi
DSCN2025.jpg

DSCN2029.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Col Whelen's rule was that the ONLY part of the recoil lug that should touch anything was the backside. Always works(ed) for me. </div></div>

Wow--I am shocked. Information useless to the current topic--again...

I was going to post a link, but I see 7mm already has.
The Howa is different as the action bolt goes into the lug.
The lug is part of the action itself, not a separate piece
held on by the barrel. It needs to touch pillar.

I guess Col Whelen never bed Howas.

thanks for the help I will bed it to the front recoil lug .sounds good to me I hope it takes away the fliers .Thanks