• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rmcc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2008
IA
I have a couple of questions on bedding. I have a Savage 10 w/ B&C Medalist stock. How far into barrel channel do you bed or free float clear back to receiver ring? How much space to allow for bedding to get solid/rigid bond? Thanks in advance.

Rich

Re: bedding

Just speaking for me. Bed the full receiver. Free float the full barrel. Remove one screw at a time and measure down the hole for your pillars.

Follow what these guys say I just did my Vanguard in a Boyd stuck using info off of this site. If you want some newbie advace use lots of tape, tape everything and everywhere you don't want Devcon.

make the bedding at least 100 thou and as said free float the whole barrel and also the barrel nut i tape the nut and under the front of the barrel to give me a line to trim the excess bedding off. When you setup the barreled action place tape around the barrel at the tip of the stock to hold the rifle up level and remofe the 100 thou clearence everywhere you want bedding you already have pillars or a block in the stock so just machine the top of them down. make sure you tape the bottom and sides of your lug and one layer on the front remove the trigger and all other parts like the floor plate and mag so nothing keys into them to lock them into the stock.when you place the screws up through the stock tape them so they slide in neatly and centre make sure that everything you dont want to have bedded is taped and that you use plenty of release agent on the action and screws.

Their are a few good threads on here about the rest of it but i hope you have a good finished product dont screw the take down screws down hard i just push them up through the stock place int he bedding compound and then sit the rifle into the bedding when the rifle is to height i turn the screws into the threads just enough to make sure they have picked up and help the action to stay square if you pull them down they will bring tension into the bedding.