• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding?

tiltonwilder

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
Are you all bedding your A5 stocks and if so how? Did it make a difference that you could notice? Thanks, VooDoo

Re: Bedding?

Thats a great "how to", but I'm interested in just how many are actually bedding their A5 and what it has done for them...

I have a few at the house.

Kimber AT, half assed bedded at factory didn't shoot that great. Sent off for pillar bedding and made a huge difference.

Rem 700 XCR LR in McM A5 with factory pillars, shot unbedded and bedded no noticeable diff.

Rem 700 LE shop 223 in McM A5 no pillars and no bedding. Gun shoots solid.

Rem 700 GAP 260, McM A5 factory pillars shot before bedding in new A5 and after. no noticeable difference in grouping.

Got a GAP 300WM at the house and a new A5 to drop it into. Will also shoot it before and after bedding to see if it changes anything.

I know in wood stocks bedding has made a huge noticeable difference also using HS stocks bedding seems to help. Shoot before and after and make the judgement for yourself

While the McMillan stocks are pretty good as they come from McMillan and can be shot as is, eventually, the barreled action is going to move if left in an un-bedded stock. POI shift becomes an issue and it's down hill from there. Pillar bed the stock and rock on, you'll be glad you did.

Yes.........it makes a huge difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had a problem with point of aim shift in an HS stock? </div></div>

Yes, for me, the aluminum bedding block style stocks were the worst with out bedding. OK at first but, POI shift at some point. Correct and consistent guard screw torque without breaking the OEM bottom metal was another issue with the aluminum bedding block stocks.

Every stock I install a rifle into now is bedded, period.