• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bedding

Staghead556

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
so i have a savage 10fcp..i want to drop her into a mcmillan a5.. i see ppl say that i would have to bed it..does this mean i cant just install the action and bbl into the mcmill? whats the issue gonna be if dont bed?

Re: bedding

mcmillan even says they dont bed that stock with the savage action. it comes from the factory in an A5 non bedded. you should be fine

I have a remington 700 in .223 in a Mcmillan A5 that has not been bedded. I'm reluctant to bed it because it shoots so good without bedding. I'm shooting 80 gn. Berger VLD's and I get 5 shot groups at 100 yards that are a ragged one hole group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tkifer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a remington 700 in .223 in a Mcmillan A5 that has not been bedded. I'm reluctant to bed it because it shoots so good without bedding. I'm shooting 80 gn. Berger VLD's and I get 5 shot groups at 100 yards that are a ragged one hole group. </div></div>

Then many would say "leave it be, son" don't try to reinvent the wheel. If the rifle is shooting that well what more can you ask for? Bedding is not for everybody but does help that majority.

To the OP: Give the A5 a shot with just some pillars. It is a great stock. You will never know until you try it. Your rifle may not need bedding and you will be good to go!