• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savagesavy

Wrench Monkey
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2013
Upstate SC
I lost the old thread where someone had developed their own compound.

Devcon 10110
Marine-Tex
Acraglass

What's the best compound on the market as far as ease of use and stability? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I like acraglass gel. Not runny at all, and plenty of working time. I've tried JB Weld with mixed results. Seemed to me that if it wasn't mixed exactly right, it was either too soft or too hard and brittle.

Reactions: savagesavy
I've done about 10 guns
With Devcon 10110
All but one turned out really good!
The one that didn't I Forgot to put the kiwi release agent on the action bolts and found out the next morning what a bitch it was to get apart!
Ended up having to mill the bolts out on the stock
But All turned out ok!
Once it dries it's some tough stuff.

Attachments

• photo46469.jpg
    photo46469.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 20
I've used all but the Acraglass with mixed results. Had alot of Marine-Tex do me right accept a single small batch recently.

I've used the devcon once and it didn't work as I'd like.

Marine-Tex always works so I haven't tried anything else. I just buy the small package and mix it entirely whether I need that much or not. The ratio for the mixture is perfect that way and I don't care about not using it all

Try Pro Bed 2000 we find it one of the easiest to use. You can get it in a kit to do different amounts of jobs with everything you need.

[video]http://www.probed2000.com/[/video]

Have also used the others but we use lots of pounds of this.

This is the one I've been wanting to try but forgot the name. Thank God for the old hide being back. Thanks gents

Reactions: Wild_Bill
The top bench rest shooters around the world simply use JB Weld and have for years. Seems simple, but good ol JB Weld seems to do the trick.

just popped one outta MarineTex this morning. Good ol' Johnson's paste floor wax for release agent...
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i12.photobucket.com\/albums\/a228\/fredo411\/DED8F97D-B4EC-41B0-B839-69F995509C57_zpsynuzd8v9.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I find Marine Tex difficult to work with due to its viscosity and mixing ratio.
I've been using JB Weld and add silica gel to thicken it up a tad. It's also easy to measure out, 50/50.
Ive even used 2 part epoxy glues that I add metal powder and silica to. Worked out fine. Although don't use fast curing.

Probed 2000 looks interesting, but why do I get this feeling it's basically a JB Weld type compound?

Last edited:
I went devcon because like has been mentioned here above, it's easy to work with and I could have it shipped to me in two days in amazon prime. Not too firm and not too runny. I've read that marinetex has the lowest percentage of shrinkage with time. People use them all and they all think they are the best so I take that as no way to go too off course.

I prefer bedding with MarineTex because its sold in 2oz packets, so I just mix the entire packet together without worrying about proper mixing ratios. Also I don't worry about the age of open epoxy and if has lost any effectiveness due to improper storage.

Another vote for Acraglass. I've done a couple of them with the kits from brownells with great results. Very easy to work with.

Nice picture from gunny Sargeant did you do behind the recoil lug cant tell hope mine look half as good.
I have a boat hull patched with marine tex since 1985 mix all the kit togeather never try to measure it out it is very finicky about that.
Jb weld type products are less finicky in small batches i used them by drawing equal size and length lines on a pallet but working time is short.
Held a lot of fighter jet parts togeather with (scotch weld) some at mock 3 and better really.
What none of the adheasives tell you is that all 3 i mentioned can be warmed to about 130 degrees with a hot air blower (hair dryer ) not any higher and allowed to cool to ambient temp and put into use as soon as possible.

I've used JB Weld on 10 rifles so far with great results. Currently inletting and prepping numbers 11 and 12.

I find that it's very easy to mix by emptying both tubes (it's cheap, so mix it all).

The consistency is also nice. Its not too runny, but rather sticky and stays where I put it.

A great bedding job is all in the prep and planning. Each time I've bedded a rifle I learned something new and had to fix mistakes, so I just keep bedding rifles until I get it right.

I use the Devcon in the 8oz tubes it is the 10110 but thinner. I add silica to it so I can get the consistency I want. It has worked the best for me. I have used marine tex and the putty 10110. Marine tex worked good I just prefer the Devcon with the tubes it is cheaper and you don't have nearly the waste. Silica is cheap and a little goes a long way. Best thing for bedding is owning a mill it makes clean up so much easier and the finish product looks better than my old days of files, sandpaper and the dremel.

I bedded my Savage in a McM A5 using Marine-Tex with good results. I popped the action out after a few hours and it looked rough as hell, but I put the action back in and let it set overnight and it smoothed out.