• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding ?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Don’t hear much talks out bedding anymore. Have chassis like the KRG negated the need?

Basically, yeah. If its good enough as it comes then why bother.

That said, it still wont hurt anything if done correctly.

Reactions: deersniper
    ive never found a need to bed a chassis....hell, even composite stocks i havent seen any real benefit in bedding....

wood stocks ill bed just to prevent oil absorption and changes in fit due to humidity.

but by and large, ive not seen any changes in consistency or accuracy from bedding a modern (composite) stock.....ymmv.

Reactions: deersniper
    While the chassis convenience craze is all the rage these days, I can assure you that pillar bedded rifle stocks are still very much a relevant thing. Our stock shop has been stacked to the rafters for over 14 years now with no end in sight.

Attachments

• 20190822_093635.jpg
      20190822_093635.jpg
      619.9 KB · Views: 78
    I havent seen any need in bedding a chassis or even some of the old v-block stocks.
    Anything with pillars in a conventional stock i bed but i think its more for peace of mind and im hard headed.
    I put a Kelbly Atlas in a Greyboe Renegade and since i had to elongate the ejection port, cut out for the bolt release, releave for the trigger hanger in both the stock and bottom metal, open the barrel channel for an M24 profile and went ahead and removed all of the paint from the action inlet it just seemed a no brainer to go ahead and full length bed the action.

I bedded a Bergara HMR stock because when I put an aftermarket barrel on the action the barrel was obviously not aligned in the barrel channel. Figured it wouldn’t hurt accuracy either to get the recoil lug bedded at the rear face too, but for me in that case it was mostly to correct a cosmetic issue.

Definitely pillar bed a wood stock, did that to my CZ 455 and I love the “press fit” when I install the BA.