• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Been thinking about an Argos 10-40

I'll bump this old post because I'd like to hear some opinions on this scope from current and past users. I have an Ares on a target .22 but I want more magnification and a SFP reticle. My only other good option besides the Argos is a Sightron SIII 10-50, but I'm not a huge fan of the reticle choices. There isn't anything else after that until you get into high dollar scopes. I know it's a huge price difference but if this thing is halfway decent it might just work for me. I'll be shooting paper between 50-200 yds 99.9 % of the time. I'd also like to know if there are any sales coming up. It's listed at MSRP everywhere, so the cheapest option I've seen is Opticsplanet with a 10% code.

Point taken, Doug. I'm trying to work out a trade for one but I'll give you a call if that doesn't work out.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Been running an Athon Argos BTR 10-40X56 on my build.....6.5 CM Savage 10 FCP-SR in an MDT chassis with XLR buttstock, Atlas Bipod, Area 419 Brake. Shot my first season with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24X50 but really liked the recticle and added magnification of the Vortex Golden Eagle I shot that belonged to a friend.

Long story shot, Doug cut me a killer deal on the Athlon Argos, the reticle is near identical and the glass is pretty good at 30-35X. it tracks perfectly and returns to zero with 1/8th MOA crisp clicks at about 1/3rd the price of the Vortex.

Athlon2.jpg

20190111_154435.jpg

I'm thinking in high magnification scopes with exposed turrets and floating center dot reticle this is about as good as it gets even at 2-3X the price point. I liked the Vortex Golden Eagle a little better but not 3X as much. The only negative this is 3" of eye relief which has we mounting the scope as far back on the top rail as I possibly can. Another 1/2" of eye relief would have been a little nicer but it's not a show stopper for me.

VooDoo

Attachments

• AthlononBipod.jpg
    AthlononBipod.jpg
    914.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: A-Rob
Gr8fuldoug made me a great deal and mine showed up today. I haven't mounted it yet but I was able to look through it today while it rested on a bag and I was impressed. The side focus was very smooth and appeared to be accurate. No lash at all, which I can't say about my Tango6. The turrets were muted but not sloppy like a Diamondback FFP that I had. I was able to get sharp, if dim, focus at 40x. It was still very useable for targets. It was very nice on 32x. I was mostly focused on an old oak tree about 50 yards away. The bark is very rough so it's easy to see when something is in crisp focus, vs. looking at a smooth surface.

I'll hopefully get time to do a box test this weekend and put it through it's paces. I really needed a powerful scope to test out my group-buy barrel and this one should work great for that purpose. If it proves to be reliable over time I don't expect I'll have any need to upgrade to something else later on.

I took it to the range and shot with it for about 3 hours today. It passed the box test just fine, held zero, etc. Like mentioned above, it would have been nice to have a little more eye relief, but that's the nature of the beast. I really like the reticle. The only real ding was that the measurement on the side focus knob was 10 yards off, but that's fairly common in less expensive scopes in my experience. The adjustment for parallax was very exact meaning there was no doubt when focus was perfect or off just a hair. I was also surprised that CA was low.
IMG_20190622_091349485.jpg

Reactions: Alabusa