• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Been watching hunting shows and.

6.81star

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Nebraska
Why do a lot of the professional tv hunters use the TC encore single shot. I am not worried about the quality of what is better but I have seen a lot of misses and youd think they want a faster follow up shot. Does TC just give a bunch away for advertising. I know its not the first rifle I want to use shooting a big buck. Your thoughts.

Re: Been watching hunting shows and.

You havent been watching hunting shows. Youve been watching 30-60 minute advertisements.

They give them away to them and spend the money. I had one, hardest kicking, most in-consistent rifle I have ever had.

Sold it and two extra barrels and bought a bolt gun..

Larry Weishuhn uses an Encore pistol. He never seems to need any follow-up shots. This is mostly because missing twice doesn't kill deer any faster.

In all fairness, I've only seen him on two "hunts." He fired 8 shots and missed 6 times. Amazingly, he never wounded an animal.

A friend of mine had one in 257 weatherby. That was until he had to have a follow up shot. The gun wouldn't eject a belted cartridge and he couldn't get his fingers on it to get it out. Deer ran off on three legs to never be seen again. SOLD IT!

Don't forget they edit these shows to. I watched a coyotes hunting DVD one time. At the end they had all the blurpers where they missed the targets. Of course on the DVD they never missed

My brother in law was in whitetail camp w one of the big names in camo.
One of their crew hit a deer and they didn't recover it for a few days.
It was rotten but they basically did a make up job on the animal, and between throwing up took video acting like the shooter recovered the animal right after the shot.
I also love how virtually every animal they take is on the last day, last hour of the hunt.
Bunch of crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also love how virtually every animal they take is on the last day, last hour of the hunt.
Bunch of crap. </div></div>

Good point. How true. The pressure is on. "just before dark the monster 25 pointer stepped out of the woods...."

why would you get a single shot unless a br gun....its kinda nice to have a follow up shot or 2 if you need one..

If I was going to run a single shot it would be a Ruger#1. At least their classy looking.

A Ruger #1 in 220swift or 225win....THAT would be classy.

As far as why hunting show personalities use Encores, it is about dollars and cents, but I currently own 3 frames and have killed a ton of game with my rifle and muzzleloader barrels.

As far as second shots (or thirds), I set my youngest son up with a custom shop heavy varmint 270 WM barrel on his Encore when he was 10, and his second year hunting with it, he killed 3 does in a span of 10 seconds. I was hunting about a quarter of a mile from him, and when he shot, I thought it was someone on the place next to us. I sure didn't think it was a kid with a single shot.

I have owned many barrels and never had a "factory" barrel to shoot up to my standards, but I had a Virgin Valley 300 WSM barrel and my son's custom shop 270 WM barrel will shoot literal one hole groups at 100 yards consistently. My muzzleloader barrels are of the Pro Hunter variety and shoot more than adequate (but not one hole).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larry Weishuhn uses an Encore pistol. He never seems to need any follow-up shots. This is mostly because missing twice doesn't kill deer any faster.

In all fairness, I've only seen him on two "hunts." He fired 8 shots and missed 6 times. Amazingly, he never wounded an animal. </div></div>

Its all in how the show is edited.