• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Before I bubba up my Manners...

10ring1

The Zohan
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
I currently have an impact 737 action with a pva barrel believe m24 contour. I also have a Manners T5A (700 sa and clones) with a much more narrow channel that I need.

I was contemplating using a dowel to hog out the channel (there is enough material) and touching up the area where the trigger hanger screw is contacting with a file.

Has anyone ever done this ? Anyone here know of a smith who does it professionally? I would rather have someone do it right.

Thanks in advance

I used a dowel and sandpaper to hog out my barrel channel in a Manners T2AGAP, it worked great and with flat black spray paint you can't even tell it didn't come that way.

Opening up a barrel channel with a dowel and sandpaper has been done countless times. I did it not long ago on a T2 I got a smoking deal on. Like mentioned above, you will loose the serial number. I took a picture of the serial number on mine. Also, it will make a big ass mess and you probably want to use some type of dust mask at least.

Send it back to Manners.

Once you bubba the barrel inlet, you may loose the serial number in the channel if that matters to you.
The number in the barrel channel is for the barrel inlet cut in the stock. So once you open it up, the number is no longer correct anyway.

Reactions: lash
As many said, wooden dowel rod, sand paper, open it up. I've done a few. I use air-cure cerakote to real it after. Good to go.

I have sanded out lots of barrel channels. I usually start with a dowel, then fine tune with just piece of sand paper to keep the lines even down the channel.

Reactions: iceng
I did it with an impact socket wrapped in paper, flat black spray paint and it looked good as new

My stock wand
26234924-5CD1-4D82-A824-3EA3C7A436BF.jpeg

Edit: Thats #2 grit on my wiping stick. Thats right, not 20, not 200. 2.

But with the marksman profile I have in my manners having a couple bumps I used the stick for the long straight sections to smooth it all out but I actually took a dremel to my manners at those transition zones with a coned grinding bit in the interest of time. It went quick and its easier to sand the high spots down and blend it in than it is to sand the whole thing by hand. Plus it can be painted again and covered by a barrel so who really cares?
1622748018852.png

Last edited:
Happy to help.

Attachments

• 10896245_763488523745908_7330103002813545557_o.jpg
    10896245_763488523745908_7330103002813545557_o.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 71
Thanks. Have done a few inexpensive 10/22 stocks but always have been wood of some type. May give it a go.

Thanks. Have done a few inexpensive 10/22 stocks but always have been wood of some type. May give it a go.
Ah, maybe find a very cheap stock pulled off of some factory gun and practice on that?

Just a thought as I tend to fuck up anything if given a tool. haha

• Haha
Reactions: 10ring1
I have done it a few times. A dowel and some sand paper and some elbow grease and it's easy. No special tools or shipping. I clean it up after done and hit it with some black spray paint and done. Have done a little dremel to the bolt notch in the past too. It's easy.

If @8pointer can do it on a Bergara stock, you can do a Manners in about 20 minutes. 😂
Na more like 5 minutes. I will say though not hard.....just grab something to drink, tunes and get after it. Especially after you already did most of the hard work! Stock fits me so perfectly figured why not.

Nice though that it's done that can stay with me forever now. Thanks coach!

Keeping with the Bubba method, if your dowel diameter is slightly too small, or if it becomes too small as you progress, you can build it up with Duck tape (Bender probably uses Pigeon tape) for the perfect fit.

It doesn't need to be a perfect fit. You just do one side then the other. I use a smaller dowel when I do it.

Reactions: spife7980
I just did one with a socket and sand paper finished it off with fine and painted the channel black turned out great to of under a hour

I lay the barreled action into it and trace the outside of the barrel along its length.
Just stay inside the lines and don't rock downward at the front of the channel.

Happy to help.

Been trying to get ahold of y'all to do some work. Can you guys respond to emails or PMs?

What happens if it gets away from you and rolls out and scuffs up the gel coat finish ? My guns yes, customers HELL NO.

I don't use the power, just the socket and extension.

If I did decide to use power, it would be slow speed.

I still think the forward back motion is the best though.

Been trying to get ahold of y'all to do some work. Can you guys respond to emails or PMs?

That would require me to be sitting on my butt. I do that as little as possible. The best way to contact us is by phone. I have 4 lines coming into the place. Between FB, messenger, forum PM's, emails, texts, phones, mail, and walk-in's...

makes for a busy day.

That would require me to be sitting on my butt. I do that as little as possible. The best way to contact us is by phone. I have 4 lines coming into the place. Between FB, messenger, forum PM's, emails, texts, phones, mail, and walk-in's...

makes for a busy day.
Sounds like you're doing well. I tried calling previously but maybe y'all were at lunch or something. I appreciate the response here at least. Have a good day. Thanks.

Last edited:

makes for a busy day.
"I'm lazy, give me another way to contact and distract you for paying work".

"I'm lazy, give me another way to contact and distract you for paying work".

Not sure who this is attacking. If me, I think in this day and age it’s pretty reasonable to expect a company to respond to email even if it’s as simple as - “give us a call”. Especially when the website lists the email as a method of contact and they are active in other forms of text communications (forum postings, Facebook, etc). I’ve moved on and will have someone else who is responsive do the work and I’m sure LRI is busy enough that that’s ok for them also.

Last edited:
Wasn't an attack, it was an attempt at a comical light hearted comment at the topic.

Many (potential) customers are comfortable with a 'smith who batches his time to reply to questions, and might only do it once every few days, perhaps Tuesdays and Fridays from 3-5pm.

Expecting a Smith to hover over the keyboard and answer every question in 12 micro seconds is dreamland. They have work to do, often to very high standards and small tolerance. If a 'smith was half way through a spiral bolt flute, or muzzle thread on your gear, you wouldn't want him diving across the shop to grab the phone within one ring.

Re-read my first line in this post.

@LongRifles Inc. Can be summoned, but takes a few days as he is a worker, not a phone jockey

Wasn't an attack, it was an attempt at a comical light hearted comment at the topic.

Many (potential) customers are comfortable with a 'smith who batches his time to reply to questions, and might only do it once every few days, perhaps Tuesdays and Fridays from 3-5pm.

Expecting a Smith to hover over the keyboard and answer every question in 12 micro seconds is dreamland. They have work to do, often to very high standards and small tolerance. If a 'smith was half way through a spiral bolt flute, or muzzle thread on your gear, you wouldn't want him diving across the shop to grab the phone within one ring.

@LongRifles Inc. Can be summoned, but takes a few days as he is a worker, not a phone jockey

Makes sense and I agree. In my case I sent half a dozen emails, and tried pms and calling over 4 months without a single reply or acknowledgement and then would see forum posts and other activity so anyway, it doesn't matter at this point - I got the "I'm too busy" reply here. I'm glad he picks up for other people. Sorry for the hijack op.

You are my spirit animal. :)

Reactions: iceng