• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Before I go off buying the wrong stuff.....M1A EBR

coctailer

Private
Minuteman
As "gun guys" we buy cool toys, post pics, go shooting, play games like PR, IPSC, sniper matches.

The next gun I would like to get is an M1A. I have wanted one forever, but never wanted to buy a brand new one for some reason. I am a gun dealer, so I figured someone would trade in a perfect one for an SKS, or some other fantasy like that.
Even then, it could be totally not suited for what I want to do.

I recently fell in love with the EBR look and feel (always wanted a plain-jane walnut version, but that fantasy is gone)

Now..........
Which one do I get? There are 50,000 different variations from Springfield.
I know I don't really like the SOCOM-16 types. No offense SOCOM fans.

Ultimately I would like an EBR clone of what the military uses.
Gun and stock first, and then I can upgrade as funds permit.

The purpose of the rifle will be PR, informal long range plinking, DMR when the zombies come, and holding whilst watching war movies.
What do you guys think my start-gun should be?

Re: Before I go off buying the wrong stuff.....M1A EBR

Springfield Armory Bush rifle (18") barrel . Sage EBR stock (choice of telescoping titanium stock , or M4 tube ). Smith Enterprise Vortex flash-hider , gas-lock front sight , extended bolt-release , and scope-mount .

Either the bush above if you want an 18" barrel, or a loaded. The loaded will have all of the national match mods (including a decent barrel), minus the bedding, which you won't need anyway since you're putting it in a Sage stock. You'll probably appreciate the trigger on the loaded vs the standard and bush (scout squad).

Mine is under construction...

0123011816.jpg

Originally I was all about 22" barrels but after having an 18.5" I don't see myself going back. When this one is shot out I'll probably be switching to a Criterion 18.5" standard contour barrel to shave some more weight off. This can get me out to 800 yards but is short enough to fit in a Eagle HSRC LE 44 inside a Pelican 1720 that fits easily in either of my cars without putting the seats down.

As for building a clone there are two versions; Mod 0 with the Sage ALCS in Navy Seal Gray (NSG) and typically a standard 22" barrel, then the Mod 1 with the ALCS/CV in a copper-ish brown with a Magpul CTR butt stock and typically a standard 18" barrel (there are some other differences in the stock for the real Mod 1 version vs. the ALCS/CV).

The Mod 1 weighs less by about 2.25 pounds (stock is 2 pounds lighter and the shorter barrel is about .25 pound less).

Decide which version you want and go from there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coctailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know I don't really like the SOCOM-16 types. No offense SOCOM fans.

</div></div>

None Taken!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coctailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ultimately I would like an EBR clone of what the military uses.

What do you guys think my start-gun should be?

</div></div>

The military uses 22" & 18" barrels in their EBRs and
an ARMY unit will have EBRs with 16.25" barrels soon.

I am a big fan of the 18.0" versions, but there are
plenty of configurations to pick from. Tough choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is under construction...

0123011816.jpg

Originally I was all about 22" barrels but after having an 18.5" I don't see myself going back. When this one is shot out I'll probably be switching to a Criterion 18.5" standard contour barrel to shave some more weight off. This can get me out to 800 yards but is short enough to fit in a Eagle HSRC LE 44 inside a Pelican 1720 that fits easily in either of my cars without putting the seats down.

As for building a clone there are two versions; Mod 0 with the Sage ALCS in Navy Seal Gray (NSG) and typically a standard 22" barrel, then the Mod 1 with the ALCS/CV in a copper-ish brown with a Magpul CTR butt stock and typically a standard 18" barrel (there are some other differences in the stock for the real Mod 1 version vs. the ALCS/CV).

The Mod 1 weighs less by about 2.25 pounds (stock is 2 pounds lighter and the shorter barrel is about .25 pound less).

Decide which version you want and go from there... </div></div>

I fell in love with the Mod 0.
I guess if I get tired of the weight, I can start saving for a Mod 1.
grin.gif

When buying the ALCS stock, are there any issues with different barrel profiles fitting in the stock itself?

Sage is ready to ship my stock, so I just want to make sure.

This is the rifle I was thinking of putting in it.
Clickety clickety

grin.gif

When buying the ALCS stock, are there any issues with different barrel profiles fitting in the stock itself?

Clickety clickety </div></div>

It looks like you are heading into M14EBR-RI territory
cool.gif

Order your stock with the 5 screw top rail for the medium weight barrel, it works with both standard and medium weight barrels.

i have scout squad model in the gray ebr stock ive been thinking about getting rid of. pm me if youre interested.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coctailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

grin.gif

Clickety clickety </div></div>

cool.gif

Order your stock with the 5 screw top rail for the medium weight barrel, it works with both standard and medium weight barrels. </div></div>

I haven't checked out the RI. What is the diff from the Mod 0?

Do you think my donor gun is a good choice?

Thanks for the input. It is helping a TON!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coctailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

cool.gif

Order your stock with the 5 screw top rail for the medium weight barrel, it works with both standard and medium weight barrels. </div></div>

I haven't checked out the RI. What is the diff from the Mod 0?

Do you think my donor gun is a good choice?

Thanks for the input. It is helping a TON!!!

</div></div>

The TACOM M14EBR-RI is a standard contour 22" rack grade M14 bolted into a SAGE EBR M14ACLS/Mod 0 stock with a GI flash suppressor.
The MK14 Mod 0 is an M14 that has been re barreled with an 18.0" standard contour barrel, type SEI Mod 0s use a medium heavy contour barrel.
Both MK14s use a GLFS-D-18 from SEI

184241_193100514046643_108939879129374_573735_701335_n.jpg

Sage doesn't sell the Navy Seal Gray, so I ordered from Clyde Armory.
This one.
linky thingy

H2O, It looks like I am going the RI route.
The rifle will be here Thursday, and the stock next week.

I'll be using iron sights till my wallet recovers.

I use the Troy Industries 2pt battle sling on my EBR. I highly recommend it.

I'm running the Eagle Industries Mk14 EBR sling Buffer Tech sells on mine. It's a three point but I really like the capabilities with it.

IMG_0295-2.jpg

I use Specter Gear 3-point slings on my EBRs, I've been using them for about 10 years.