• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Begara B14R Fun Day

Big Bo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2005
Cal West
Took the B14R out today for its 2nd outing. First trip was to shoot it, with CCI SV, and a Center Point 4-16x40 SFP. Took nearly a box of CCI SV to get sighted. Shot good at 50 yards. Shot 105 rounds. Today I replaced the CP with a straight 6x Leupy duplex I bought 20 plus years ago. Using CCI SV got her sighted in at 50 yards, shooting to the steel swinger target I got bored. Decided to go long. With the 50 yard zero, I used the bottom post for reference, tough. Made hits at 100 yds, then at 150 yds.
metal targets are at 222 yds. Shooting for reference, lower verticle duplex reticle on target, horiz reticle used to sight on dried grass, wind blowing from my left to right. Hitting target at 222 yds. All in all, the B14R shot very well. Today I shot 100 rnds of CCI SV and 25 rnds og Aguila Rifle Match. 230 rounds through the B14R.
Waiting on the Athlon Cronus and rings to arrive. Sighting in and shooting will be much easier with better optics, and premium ammo.

Definitely give a review of that Cronus, I'm currently using the Ares BTR (Gen1) but had been checking out the ETR version which seems to get very good reviews, wish I knew someone who had both the Ares ETR and Cronus to get an honest comparison review.

Cronus was mounted and sighted in. Using CCI SV it is shooting very well. The Cronus does not disappoint. Very nice glass, and the controls are right on. I started shooting at 10x, at 50 yards. When I go to 222 yards I turned the power up to 20x to differentiate hits on the steel target. Very surprised that I could get more hits on the 3" steel target with Aguila 40gr Rifle Match, than CCI SV. Also VERY interesting shooting FED Target Auto Match, it hit higher than the above ammo. Maybe (going by memory), 1.5 mils higher. Quick adjustment and this cheep ammo was dinging the steel at 222 yards. Tried some older Lapua Rifle and the B14-R did not care for it. Next trip out, I will try different torque values.

Reactions: FO876
I have one lot of CCI SV that is shooting sub moa out to 150 yds. can't wait to try it out to 200 yds. and more.
Mark

• Wow
Reactions: Big Bo and FO876
Definitely give a review of that Cronus, I'm currently using the Ares BTR (Gen1) but had been checking out the ETR version which seems to get very good reviews, wish I knew someone who had both the Ares ETR and Cronus to get an honest comparison review.
I bought a Cronus recently for my NRL22 rig. While I really like the Cronus, I didn't like it for NRL22. I found the reticle too thin to effectively use at 8-12x, and was zooming in and out to find targets. The parallax was also too picky and too hard to precisely dial. If you aren't under a time limit or trying to quickly engage targets at various ranges inside 100 yards it's honestly a great scope. I just couldn't make it work well for NRL22.

Now, glass is very good especially at the Cameraland closeout price. Turrets are good. Seems to track well. Definitely not too heavy. I'll likely keep mine for a centerfire rig or backup scope.

I completely get all your points in regards to the function issues for NRL22 use, I've entered a few over the summer. I'm new to PRS and quality scopes altogether so I'm curious, is there a standout scope that performs much better, IYO, for NRL22's??? Particularly, the zooming in/out to find targets was an issue for me but using a much cheaper scope (Argos BTR).

I'm hoping to shoot some NRL matches in SD this spring. I've got the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56mm on my B14r and so far really love it. It has the 34mm main tube which is supposed to give 110 moa vertical adjustment. I did not do a 10 or 20 MOA base hoping to get away with not needing it for NRL matches. Once the indoor benchrest league is over I'll start working on further distances.

I just ran out of my lot of Tenex that shot super consistent and am now on the waiting list for some Lapua Center X.

I did just order my Kinetic Security Solutions ATS tuner, once that comes in, I'll be working through some other lots of ammo I have on hand to see if I can tune to make them shoot better.

I completely get all your points in regards to the function issues for NRL22 use, I've entered a few over the summer. I'm new to PRS and quality scopes altogether so I'm curious, is there a standout scope that performs much better, IYO, for NRL22's??? Particularly, the zooming in/out to find targets was an issue for me but using a much cheaper scope (Argos BTR).
I've had the best luck with a Viper PST II and the Bushnell HDMR II-CR. Lots of good feedback from friends on the Strike Eagle and a couple really like their Kahles. I've got a Riton 4-32x56 that I haven't tried in competition but it looks promising.

Last edited:
Edited my last response, it's Bushnell's limited run HDMR II-CR I've had good luck with.

If your rig supports 200yds for the most part your fine. But Watertown could and has used the 300yd bay.
View attachment 7528108

Marshall, MN (which is as far as other SD clubs away) has shot out to +300yds. They will be hosting a NRL22X match also in April on top of their monthly events.
View attachment 7528111

Huron, SD has about 220yds of useable range. They might be expanding in the near future.
View attachment 7528115
Pierre, SD has been at a new-ish location west of town about 20 miles. They have a really nice spot and can support quite a bit as well.
View attachment 7528121

All locations typically do 2 bonus stages that are longer in distances or different obstacles than the regular monthly stages.

All of the locations do some kind of after match get together/late lunch for the most part.

SD matches are typically Sundays late morning start. MN is typically Saturday early start.

Have not attended a Canton,SD or Orlan, SD NRL22 yet. So no comments on what they are doing.
Awesome info thank you! I'm in West Fargo and was hoping to run down and watch one in Watertown in the spring before getting the nerve up to join in. My 13 yr old son has a great shooting Tikka T1x and will be getting him lined up too. Assuming we can continue to get our hands on Lapua Center X for him.

TT Special installed and set at 1lbs. Athlon Cronus set on 15x. Shot CCI SV, SK Standard Plus, and some Lapua Rifle Match all at 50 yards. I have a few bricks of CCI SV so I decided to do most of my testing with it. The B14-R shot the SK+ the best with a 10 shot group under 1/2". 10 shots of Lapua RM shot over 1/2", and sorted CCI SV 10 shots a bit worse than the Lapua.

I have read mixed reports on the merits of sorting rimfire ammo. A week prior, I went shooting with a buddy who shoots a Contender 12" 22lr. He was shooting Federal Auto Match sorted. He was hitting the 3"-4" gong at 222 yards consistently. Me, shooting CCI SV was no where near as consistent on the gong.

I decided to try sorting rimfire ammo. Purchased a Raven Eye Custom Thickness Gauge, and an HFS (R) Dial Indicator. Got 4 boxes of CCI SV and started sorting. I have 2 plastic ammo boxes, and divided the sorted ammo into 3 groups. 2 largest groups to test for accuracy, and the rest to shoot and plink. Got 46 and 49 rounds in the test sorted boxes and the rest in a sandwich bag, off to my shooting spot. Shot the SK, Lapua, and CCI SV as stated above.

After shooting/plinking all of the bagged CCI, I decided to shoot the remaining sorted CCI at the 222 yard gong. Before sorting I could hit the gong 2-3 times out of 5 shots. Setting the Athlon Cronus on 20x, with sorted ammo, my hits went to 3-4 and sometimes 5 shots in a row. When I shot a clover group of 1.5" at 222 yards, with CCI SV I was floored. Behind the gong, a pile of concrete sits ranged 247 yards away from my shooting position. I sent 5 CCI sorted rounds down range. 4 shots went into a 2" group, and 1 dropped 3" low. It was time to take it home.

I am not saying CCI SV is as accurate, or consistent as the premium ammo, just that on this day CCI SV did well enough for me that I will not be searching for $10 - $15 a box ammo anytime soon. I will admit a month ago I purchased 3 boxes of Lapua CX at $15 each box. Have not shot the CX. The CCI was $3.00 a box. Again, I am not a target/paper puncher.

Love me some B14-R.