• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Begara BMR Steel Barrel picked up today

gr8guns

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2019
I picked up the Bergara .22lr BMR today. First impressions are positive…..that is a good thing since I had only seen pictures, and when it came in, the point of no return had arrived. The metal workmanship is first rate . I think the barrel is a number 4 contour, the same as my M1100 Howa. I sure hope it shoots better than the Howa. Back to the Bergara…….The magazines look sturdy, the action is rough . There is a guide lug, but the lockup appears to be through the bolt handle only. I first thought the bolt movement was rough because of contact with the magazine, but the bolt movement is rough even with the magazine removed. I’ll get the barrel cleaned and a glass on it, ready for my next range . I am not impressed with the action rough feel. I will try to get all sorted out after a range trip.

Reactions: sparkyv
How about some pics when you get it all set up? What are your intentions for the gun?
I will post some pics, I intend to just do some informal range testing to start. I have a few I need to wring out before I try silhouette. I’m 70 years young and I am just wanting to see if I can compete without getting laughed off the range at a formal shoot. I had no time when I was working, and after three surgeries now healed up, I gotta get at it ! I have a few virgin rifles to shoot. My good buddy Sixgun Jeff is my mentor.

I will post some pics, I intend to just do some informal range testing to start. I have a few I need to wring out before I try silhouette. I’m 70 years young and I am just wanting to see if I can compete without getting laughed off the range at a formal shoot. I had no time when I was working, and after three surgeries now healed up, I gotta get at it ! I have a few virgin rifles to shoot. My good buddy Sixgun Jeff is my mentor.
I’m going to be 78 in a couple weeks. I shoot ARA RFBR. I have a Stiller 2500XS that Jerry built for me. I also have a CZ 457 that I shoot In the factory class, but I’m interested in BMR. I have only competed for 2 years but really enjoy it. I’ve also had my share of surgeries, 2 knee replacements, and 2 back surgeries. Go for it, it’s fun.

Hi,
I ordered a carbon BMR (paid the extra $80 because I liked the black over the gray stock). I emailed Bergara (BPI Outdoors) about where to find the extra magazines a couple days ago and they basically told me that they haven’t shipped any to the US yet. I also ask them about which cartridge they designed the chamber for and they sent me back a list all their rifles and here’s what they had for the 22lr rifle:

”BXR .22 – CCI Standard, Blazer 40gr LRN, Federal Gold Medal Target, Eley Match OSP, Avoid bulk ammo with coated projectiles

B-14R/BMR .22 – Eley Tennex, Eley Match, Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match, Lapua Center X”

If you guys find magazines for sale please let everybody know and I will do the same. Pretty much all of us did the same thing. Ordered the BMR off of Bergara’s reputation so any information you have would be very welcome. All but one or two of the reviews where just a copy of Bergara’s press release ( I found a YouTube video reloaded something was the name of the channel, if you do a search for i, it should come up It was about 15 minutes long.

The YT "review" you are thinking of is from Ultimate Reloader. I put review in quotes because it is my no means a review or a test. They simply regurgitated the Bergara press release info, showed off their sponsored gadgets that in no way relate to the rifle, and then only showed you one group....the best one of the day, with ZERO new information about the rifle.

My BMR arrived Sunday, and I had it out to the range on Moday morning. Very nicely finished, mags are great and drop free with ease. I didn't find the bolt rough by any means...it's just a new rifle and needs to a little break in...nothing a nice cleaning, some oil, and about 500 rounds won't fix. I shot 280 rounds, and did a little testing at 50 and 100 yards. I even sent 25 round at the 300 yard steel, and scored 5 consecutive hits with Federal Auto Match! I had to aim at a spot on the mountain about 25-30 feet above the steel, but I hit it!

I completed the very inexpensive (and simple) Bergara trigger mod described by another post here and on RimfireCentral. Out of the box, the trigger was at 2lb 9oz. After the modification, it now breaks at a very crisp 1lb even. Very happy with the trigger and the gun overall.

I did replace the bolt knob with a $4.29 polymer knob (1.25" diameter) I found at Ace Hardware...a vast and welcome improvement. The factory knob is too small @ .65" in diameter, but not as dainty as the Christensen Ranger 22. The bolt knob is threaded the same as the Bergara B14R in case you were wondering....M6x1.

A caveat first; The rifle comes with a 30 MOA rail installed. It's nice to have that included, but my scope is a little older (Weaver V16 MDT 4-16x40) and isn't capable of being zeroed at 50 yards with a 30 MOA built in...so I was aiming at imaginary points on the targets and shooting about 2.5-3.5" high. I would have to aim at the center of the bottom target to hit the top target, and I would aim at the bottm of the paper to hit the bottom targets...difficult at best, and unfortunately it doesn't make for very good groups. The reticle is a 1/4 target dot with very fine duplex, so all I can see is the very small center dot. Usually this is excellent for 50 yard shooting, but the scope rail messed it all up. I plan on using this rifle for base class NRL, so the scope is going to be replaced with an Arken SH4 soon enough and the rail won't be an issue.

I shot Remington Sub Sonic, CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Clean-22 Sub Sonic, RWS Target Rifle, SK Standard Plus, and Lapua Center X. Threw in a little Federal Auto Match for fun at 300 yards. I shot 6x5 targets for each, all at 50 yards. I additionally shot Center-X, SK Standard Plus, RWS Target Rifle, and the CCI Clean-22 at 100 yards, two 5 shot groups each. I can post the targets if you wish, but here are the 6x5 averages;

Remington Sub Sonic - .710" (min .550", max .856")
CCI Standard Velocity - .945" (min .712", max 1.12")
CCI Clean-22 Sub Sonic - .907" (min .524", max 1.26")
RWS Target Rifle - .612" (min .465", max .884")
SK Standard Plus - .730" (min .579", max .905")
Lapua Center-X - .805" (min .528", max 1.14")

100 Yard, two 5rd group average;
CCI Clean-22 - 2.01"
SK Standard Plus - 1.48"
RWS Target Rifle - 1.73"
Lapua CenterX - .901"

I can shoot better, and I know the rifle can shoot better. 6x5 averages are a better real world predictor of a rifles accuracy, but there were some good groups hiding in those averages. If the scope would have properly zeroed, allowing me a solid point of aim, I know the groups would have shrunk significantly. If I were Bergara, I think I would have stuck with a 20 MOA rail instead of a 30 out of the box. Until EGW or DIP or whoever comes out with a replacement rail, I'm stuck with the OEM rail. But it should be fine when I replace the scope.

Overall, I am very happy with this rifle. It is well balanced and handles well. Trigger is good out of the box, excellent if you spend 20-30 minutes with a little mod. Bolt feels good with a little wiggle, nothing too bad. The mags are great...zero malfunctions feeding or ejecting over 280 rounds. They are easy to load and drop free with ease, also. Mag release is right at your finger tip. I imagine someone with a 3D printer will come along in a month or so with +2 or +3 extensions. The stock is solid, and very well free floated. I imagine the "carbon" barrel also fits well. I prefer a near-90 degree grip, but this will do for now until something else is available...fingers crossed for a KRG Bravo. It is compatible with Rem 700 triggers, but that is all it's compatible with....the scope base screw pattern is proprietary, not similar to anything I could find on EGW's website. Kind of a bummer...they could have at least copied another Mfg's screw pattern to make our lives a little easier.

22t1IXFl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBlackSmith
Well mine is out of the box. Need to see if it can find a home on the range or in the safe for the grandkids 🤪

Attachments

• 4BD103DD-5752-4AA9-ADD0-74E7541313C1.jpeg
    4BD103DD-5752-4AA9-ADD0-74E7541313C1.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 241
This stuff is all new to me. That KRG Bravo stock that AZ Dan was talking about looks awesome. If they make one for the BMR, I would definitely get one. I’m noticing in the pictures that as far as bipods go everyone has Harris bipod, is there a mount on the stock for them?
I was going to add a Pic rail for an Atlas, but would get a Harris if it mounts right up to it. If so which model are you guys using?
I got the BMR to practice with and eventually want to get a HMR, but after reading Rimfire Revolution (great book for people that are new to rimfire, my head almost exploded when it showed up and saw that it was in color.) It changed my mind about how I viewed rimfire shooting. I still plan to get the HMR, but I plan on getting “in” to rimfire shooting.
Is there a list on this site of gunsmiths that people have used and recommend? I live in Portland Oregon and the guy I pick up my guns from doesn’t come off like he wants money or enjoys the work he does.
If any of the guys who have done the trigger job would be willing to do mine message me and let me know how much you would charge?

I have my Bergara B14 and B14R both in KRG Bravo stocks....I love that stock, great value for the money. I'd expect to see a replacement stock from Boyd's Stocks before I see something from KRG, but either will be fine with me. I just want to get rid of that classic grip angle...it's not the best for bench shooting.

The Harris bipid, as well as nearly every hunting bipod, attaches to the front swivel stud that is included on the stock. I have a pic rail on order so I can attach my Atlas bipod...this Harris was just a stop gap. I actually didn't even used it when I was shooting the rifle, I used a front bag.

The trigger mod is incredibly easy...there is a great description of it on RimfireCentral. I was a little reticent about using a tapping die, since this would be the first time I would be doing it, but it was incredibly easy. I watched a few YT videos about the process, and they were very helpful. Honestly, the most difficult part was finding the proper set screws to use...at the moment I am using a long screw with the matching thread pitch, but the proper set screws should be arriving tomorrow. No need to take the trigger off the gun, just take the stock off to get to the barreled action. I'll have a few extra set screws if you would like one, I'll mail it to you.

I like the layout of the KRG Bravo, especially the grip. It looks like a good value for the base model and I like that you can add stuff to it as the need comes up instead of paying for stuff that you don’t have any use for.

My plan was to add a Pic rail for an Atlas bipod and then I could use it on both rifles. Which one did you end up getting? For the cheek riser was thinking about getting the Titan Universal Cheekrest. It’s simple and should hold me over until someone comes out with a stock I like. I looked for something to change the grip angle but didn’t find anything that was simple like the cheek riser.

For the trigger, the tapping threads was the part I stopped at. After seeing your message and thinking about it I figured what do I have to loose, if I screw up it will work like it did before I did anything to it so there really isn’t anything to lose for trying and I would like to learn how to tap threads. Thanks for the offer on the screw, but since I have to order some other stuff for it I can just order them as well. Do you have a list or a picture of the parts you ordered for it? Or does the post have them? I need to get the tap and a rivet gun, but I have been buying gunsmithing tools little by little (I got in to guns at the worst possible time, everything is out of stock and , or the prices are all jacked up, but from as far as I can tell gunsmithing tools are easy to find and the prices are pretty much the same as before all of this) so when I can’t find other stuff I’m looking for I get gunsmithing tools and shooting bags….. If you have any tools that you have been happy with please let me know? I need to find a good cleaning rod next, from reading the screw together ones that I have aren’t a good idea. I can still use it on my handguns so it’s not a total loss.

Was there anything you didn’t like about the HMR stock? Or did you get them as barreled actions?

About the scope mount that comes with it, I’m thinking there most of been a reason for it being different. It would have been better for Bergara if it was the same as the B14 because they could just sell the different ones they already carry instead of adding another part to their inventory. I could be wrong, but from a business standpoint it seems to work in the automotive industry.

I wonder if the BXR fits in KRG’s Ruger 10/22 Bravo stock?

The YT "review" you are thinking of is from Ultimate Reloader. I put review in quotes because it is my no means a review or a test. They simply regurgitated the Bergara press release info, showed off their sponsored gadgets that in no way relate to the rifle, and then only showed you one group....the best one of the day, with ZERO new information about the rifle.

My BMR arrived Sunday, and I had it out to the range on Moday morning. Very nicely finished, mags are great and drop free with ease. I didn't find the bolt rough by any means...it's just a new rifle and needs to a little break in...nothing a nice cleaning, some oil, and about 500 rounds won't fix. I shot 280 rounds, and did a little testing at 50 and 100 yards. I even sent 25 round at the 300 yard steel, and scored 5 consecutive hits with Federal Auto Match! I had to aim at a spot on the mountain about 25-30 feet above the steel, but I hit it!

I completed the very inexpensive (and simple) Bergara trigger mod described by another post here and on RimfireCentral. Out of the box, the trigger was at 2lb 9oz. After the modification, it now breaks at a very crisp 1lb even. Very happy with the trigger and the gun overall.

I did replace the bolt knob with a $4.29 polymer knob (1.25" diameter) I found at Ace Hardware...a vast and welcome improvement. The factory knob is too small @ .65" in diameter, but not as dainty as the Christensen Ranger 22. The bolt knob is threaded the same as the Bergara B14R in case you were wondering....M6x1.

A caveat first; The rifle comes with a 30 MOA rail installed. It's nice to have that included, but my scope is a little older (Weaver V16 MDT 4-16x40) and isn't capable of being zeroed at 50 yards with a 30 MOA built in...so I was aiming at imaginary points on the targets and shooting about 2.5-3.5" high. I would have to aim at the center of the bottom target to hit the top target, and I would aim at the bottm of the paper to hit the bottom targets...difficult at best, and unfortunately it doesn't make for very good groups. The reticle is a 1/4 target dot with very fine duplex, so all I can see is the very small center dot. Usually this is excellent for 50 yard shooting, but the scope rail messed it all up. I plan on using this rifle for base class NRL, so the scope is going to be replaced with an Arken SH4 soon enough and the rail won't be an issue.

I shot Remington Sub Sonic, CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Clean-22 Sub Sonic, RWS Target Rifle, SK Standard Plus, and Lapua Center X. Threw in a little Federal Auto Match for fun at 300 yards. I shot 6x5 targets for each, all at 50 yards. I additionally shot Center-X, SK Standard Plus, RWS Target Rifle, and the CCI Clean-22 at 100 yards, two 5 shot groups each. I can post the targets if you wish, but here are the 6x5 averages;

Remington Sub Sonic - .710" (min .550", max .856")
CCI Standard Velocity - .945" (min .712", max 1.12")
CCI Clean-22 Sub Sonic - .907" (min .524", max 1.26")
RWS Target Rifle - .612" (min .465", max .884")
SK Standard Plus - .730" (min .579", max .905")
Lapua Center-X - .805" (min .528", max 1.14")

100 Yard, two 5rd group average;
CCI Clean-22 - 2.01"
SK Standard Plus - 1.48"
RWS Target Rifle - 1.73"
Lapua CenterX - .901"

I can shoot better, and I know the rifle can shoot better. 6x5 averages are a better real world predictor of a rifles accuracy, but there were some good groups hiding in those averages. If the scope would have properly zeroed, allowing me a solid point of aim, I know the groups would have shrunk significantly. If I were Bergara, I think I would have stuck with a 20 MOA rail instead of a 30 out of the box. Until EGW or DIP or whoever comes out with a replacement rail, I'm stuck with the OEM rail. But it should be fine when I replace the scope.

Overall, I am very happy with this rifle. It is well balanced and handles well. Trigger is good out of the box, excellent if you spend 20-30 minutes with a little mod. Bolt feels good with a little wiggle, nothing too bad. The mags are great...zero malfunctions feeding or ejecting over 280 rounds. They are easy to load and drop free with ease, also. Mag release is right at your finger tip. I imagine someone with a 3D printer will come along in a month or so with +2 or +3 extensions. The stock is solid, and very well free floated. I imagine the "carbon" barrel also fits well. I prefer a near-90 degree grip, but this will do for now until something else is available...fingers crossed for a KRG Bravo. It is compatible with Rem 700 triggers, but that is all it's compatible with....the scope base screw pattern is proprietary, not similar to anything I could find on EGW's website. Kind of a bummer...they could have at least copied another Mfg's screw pattern to make our lives a little easier.

22t1IXFl.jpg
The bolt is still a little rough on my rifle after 1500 plus. I used a set of rings called ...are you ready for this ? "godturtle". I got them from Amazon, and i have a little lower set ordered. They are machined, top notch rings that should sell for twice what they do. I wish they would bring back them good old weaver scopes......

The bolt is still a little rough on my rifle after 1500 plus. I used a set of rings called ...are you ready for this ? "godturtle". I got them from Amazon, and i have a little lower set ordered. They are machined, top notch rings that should sell for twice what they do. I wish they would bring back them good old weaver scopes......
The Weaver is a great scope, but it just doesn't have enough elevation to dial down far enough to compensate for a 30moa rail. Good tip on those rings...stupid name, but they look just as nice as the Vortex Pro Series I run on my other rifles. I'll give them a shot someday.

The Weaver is a great scope, but it just doesn't have enough elevation to dial down far enough to compensate for a 30moa rail. Good tip on those rings...stupid name, but they look just as nice as the Vortex Pro Series I run on my other rifles. I'll give them a shot someday.

uRRSkPr.jpg

The rings are machined , and they are probably made by the same people that make them for the big names. Forgive the low quality photo, my phone is 7 years old.....

Reactions: NJRaised
I like the layout of the KRG Bravo, especially the grip. It looks like a good value for the base model and I like that you can add stuff to it as the need comes up instead of paying for stuff that you don’t have any use for.

My plan was to add a Pic rail for an Atlas bipod and then I could use it on both rifles. Which one did you end up getting? For the cheek riser was thinking about getting the Titan Universal Cheekrest. It’s simple and should hold me over until someone comes out with a stock I like. I looked for something to change the grip angle but didn’t find anything that was simple like the cheek riser.

For the trigger, the tapping threads was the part I stopped at. After seeing your message and thinking about it I figured what do I have to loose, if I screw up it will work like it did before I did anything to it so there really isn’t anything to lose for trying and I would like to learn how to tap threads. Thanks for the offer on the screw, but since I have to order some other stuff for it I can just order them as well. Do you have a list or a picture of the parts you ordered for it? Or does the post have them? I need to get the tap and a rivet gun, but I have been buying gunsmithing tools little by little (I got in to guns at the worst possible time, everything is out of stock and , or the prices are all jacked up, but from as far as I can tell gunsmithing tools are easy to find and the prices are pretty much the same as before all of this) so when I can’t find other stuff I’m looking for I get gunsmithing tools and shooting bags….. If you have any tools that you have been happy with please let me know? I need to find a good cleaning rod next, from reading the screw together ones that I have aren’t a good idea. I can still use it on my handguns so it’s not a total loss.

Was there anything you didn’t like about the HMR stock? Or did you get them as barreled actions?

About the scope mount that comes with it, I’m thinking there most of been a reason for it being different. It would have been better for Bergara if it was the same as the B14 because they could just sell the different ones they already carry instead of adding another part to their inventory. I could be wrong, but from a business standpoint it seems to work in the automotive industry.

I wonder if the BXR fits in KRG’s Ruger 10/22 Bravo stock?
I ordered the Atlas 3.35" Picatinny Rail Mount, #BT15. I've seen the Titan cheek rest, but I don't need it on my gun. I don't know of any way to change the grip angle...I'll wait until Boyd's, KRG, or whoever comes out with one to see my options.

If you are going to thread tap your trigger, you only need a few items (tap handle, 4-40 tap, set screws). McMaster Carr has all of them, or you can just buy the set screws from them, item #92845A716. They have taps and handles as well, but they will be easier/cheaper to get from Ace Hardware, Homedepot, etc. Just don't get a tap/die set from Harbor Freight...they tend to break very easily. I prefer to buy my taps as I need them, not an "all in one" kit. The best video I've seen on the subject is from Adam Savage of MythBuster's fame....it's a long video, but it's great.

You get what you pay for when it comes to gunsmithing tools...cheaper is not better. For cleaning rods, I like J Dewey products (deweyrods.com).

I bought my B14R as a barreled action, and I sold the HMR stock that came with my 6.5 Creedmoor on eBay for $300, which I turned around and bought the KRG. The HMR stock is fine, I just prefer the modular ability of the KRG.

The BXR won't fit into the KRG without a little modification...i.e. a little work with a Dremel tool.

Reactions: TheBlackSmith
I ordered the Atlas 3.35" Picatinny Rail Mount, #BT15. I've seen the Titan cheek rest, but I don't need it on my gun. I don't know of any way to change the grip angle...I'll wait until Boyd's, KRG, or whoever comes out with one to see my options.

If you are going to thread tap your trigger, you only need a few items (tap handle, 4-40 tap, set screws). McMaster Carr has all of them, or you can just buy the set screws from them, item #92845A716. They have taps and handles as well, but they will be easier/cheaper to get from Ace Hardware, Homedepot, etc. Just don't get a tap/die set from Harbor Freight...they tend to break very easily. I prefer to buy my taps as I need them, not an "all in one" kit. The best video I've seen on the subject is from Adam Savage of MythBuster's fame....it's a long video, but it's great.

You get what you pay for when it comes to gunsmithing tools...cheaper is not better. For cleaning rods, I like J Dewey products (deweyrods.com).

I bought my B14R as a barreled action, and I sold the HMR stock that came with my 6.5 Creedmoor on eBay for $300, which I turned around and bought the KRG. The HMR stock is fine, I just prefer the modular ability of the KRG
The BXR won't fit into the KRG without a little modification...i.e. a little work with a Dremel tool.
The cheek rest is a just incase, I hope I don’t need it. The needing to get a tap kit was one of my original reasons for not doing it so I’m glad I can just get parts I need. I priced a kit a few years ago and remembered the reason I didn’t get it was the cost. I don’t normally buy cheap tools, especially for stuff like that, but thanks for the heads up. The one thing Harbor Freight has is inexpensive ammo cans. I picked up one the last time I was there for $6.99 Which was half the price of the one I got on Amazon.
That video is perfect, thanks I’ll be checking out more on that channel. Also thanks for the parts list that takes all the guess work out of i. I’m going to to order it in a couple week.
I got a call from the FFL that it showed up, so I’m going to pick it up on Tuesday. The gunsmith (my FFL) was pretty impressed with it which surprised me because normally he doesn’t talk very much. “This is a really nice rifle!…..”
The only thing besides the cleaning rod you told me about that I need to get is the scope rings. I waited until I get the rifle to order those so I make sure I get the correct size. I’m going to get a set of Seekins Precision rings which I read are a pretty good value for the money $139 and I hear they make quality stuff.
After finding a link on this site I picked up 10 boxes of SK Long Range Match from Blue Collar. It will take a week to get here, but they shipped it out the next day and the shipping was $12 which was quicker and cheaper than any of the other ammo that I have got in the last year.
Thanks again for all the advice and help with the parts I’ll be ordering all of these as my budget allows.

I finally got a chance to re-scope my BMR with an Arken SH4 4-16x50. Originally I had mounted my Weaver Classic K series 4-16x42 on the BMR, but that scope had a limited elevation range that didn't play well with the 30 MOA rail mounted from the factory.

I'm glad the Weaver scope didn't work out...the Arken SH4 is a very impressive scope. It's a beast at nearly 3lbs, but it is an absolute fantastic scope for the money, $400. Better yet, Arken has been running a $100 off coupon code (#gobrandon) so I only paid $300. Mounted the scope using the "God Turtle" brand 34mm rings on Amazon suggested by @gr8guns...they are actually very nice for $30. A little too high at 1.26", I could use the 0.92" rings that Arken makes, and I might swap them out.

The new Arken zeroed at 50 yards with several mils of elevation to spare. The original Weaver left me guessing my POA/POI since it bottomed out the elevation knob, which was several inches difference...didn't allow for the most precise shooting. These new groups are much improved.

Anyways, got everything playing nicely together now. Headed to the range to test out CCI Standard, CCI Clean Sub Sonic, RWS Target Rifle, SK Standard Plus, and Lapua Center-X.

All ammo was shot suppressed at 50 yards from bipod w/rear bag, 6 groups with 5 rounds each. No wind, 65 degrees...a perfect AZ winter day!
Here is the data;

CCI Standard
Min = 0.42"
Max = 0.93"
Avg = .752"
CCI Clean Sub Sonic
Min = .52"
Max = .93"
Avg = .754"
RWS Target Rifle
Min = .52"
Max = 1.2" *no called flyer...just a bad round?
Avg = .69"
SK Standard Plus
Min = .36"
Max = .58"
Avg = .462"
Lapua Center-X
Min = .34"
Max = .38"
Avg = .364"

Not surprisingly, more money equates to more consistency, which means more accuracy. I shot a 5rd group at 100 yards for fun with the Lapua Center-X, and it shot a 0.66" group....so that seems to be the rifle's favorite.

While the BMR is not nearly as accurate as my B14R, it's pretty darn close. My B14R, with Center-X, shoots an average of 0.30". The B14R also weights twice as much as my BMR, so it's much more difficult to introduce unintentional movement into the gun while shooting.

Overall, I am very pleased with the rifle's performance.

Does anyone know the degree of the bolt throw for the BMR by chance? I haven’t found it posted anywhere

I finally got a chance to re-scope my BMR with an Arken SH4 4-16x50. Originally I had mounted my Weaver Classic K series 4-16x42 on the BMR, but that scope had a limited elevation range that didn't play well with the 30 MOA rail mounted from the factory.

I'm glad the Weaver scope didn't work out...the Arken SH4 is a very impressive scope. It's a beast at nearly 3lbs, but it is an absolute fantastic scope for the money, $400. Better yet, Arken has been running a $100 off coupon code (#gobrandon) so I only paid $300. Mounted the scope using the "God Turtle" brand 34mm rings on Amazon suggested by @gr8guns...they are actually very nice for $30. A little too high at 1.26", I could use the 0.92" rings that Arken makes, and I might swap them out.

The new Arken zeroed at 50 yards with several mils of elevation to spare. The original Weaver left me guessing my POA/POI since it bottomed out the elevation knob, which was several inches difference...didn't allow for the most precise shooting. These new groups are much improved.

Anyways, got everything playing nicely together now. Headed to the range to test out CCI Standard, CCI Clean Sub Sonic, RWS Target Rifle, SK Standard Plus, and Lapua Center-X.

All ammo was shot suppressed at 50 yards from bipod w/rear bag, 6 groups with 5 rounds each. No wind, 65 degrees...a perfect AZ winter day!
Here is the data;

CCI Standard
Min = 0.42"
Max = 0.93"
Avg = .752"
CCI Clean Sub Sonic
Min = .52"
Max = .93"
Avg = .754"
RWS Target Rifle
Min = .52"
Max = 1.2" *no called flyer...just a bad round?
Avg = .69"
SK Standard Plus
Min = .36"
Max = .58"
Avg = .462"
Lapua Center-X
Min = .34"
Max = .38"
Avg = .364"

Not surprisingly, more money equates to more consistency, which means more accuracy. I shot a 5rd group at 100 yards for fun with the Lapua Center-X, and it shot a 0.66" group....so that seems to be the rifle's favorite.

While the BMR is not nearly as accurate as my B14R, it's pretty darn close. My B14R, with Center-X, shoots an average of 0.30". The B14R also weights twice as much as my BMR, so it's much more difficult to introduce unintentional movement into the gun while shooting.

Overall, I am very pleased with the rifle's performance.
Cheek height still good with the new scope?

Does anyone know the degree of the bolt throw for the BMR by chance? I haven’t found it posted anywhere
I’ll check when I get mine back, but I think it’s 60 degrees. Search on YouTube. There’s 3 video reviews and they might bring it up on there.

Cheek height still good with the new scope?
It's a touch too tall...I was thinking of adding the Titan Universal Cheek Rest from Victor Company. I am considering replacing the rings with the 0.92" rings from Arken...the 1.26" rings I have now are too tall...I hate seeing so much daylight between the barrel and scope bell.

It's a touch too tall...I was thinking of adding the Titan Universal Cheek Rest from Victor Company. I am considering replacing the rings with the 0.92" rings from Arken...the 1.26" rings I have now are too tall...I hate seeing so much daylight between the barrel and scope bell.
I like that cheek riser, clean and simple.

Reactions: AZ Dan
I ordered 2 stock blanks from Boyds to try and make a stock for the BMR. Not sure if I can pull it off, but I figured it’s worth a try. I plan on documenting the whole thing and posting it if works out. If it doesn’t I’m only out $67 for each one. I would like to end up with one like the Pro Varmint.

• Angry
Reactions: Retired
I ordered 2 stock blanks from Boyds to try and make a stock for the BMR. Not sure if I can pull it off, but I figured it’s worth a try. I plan on documenting the whole thing and posting it if works out. If it doesn’t I’m only out $67 for each one. I would like to end up with one like the Pro Varmint.
P.S. I just emailed Boyds to see if they sell there stocks without the inletting……and they do
”Pro Varmint Uninlet”

Last edited:
Just ordered the steel version; I prefer the way that grey stock looks and picked up some mid-range grade ammo since Midway is currently running "free" shipping. We're in the process of moving, so it'll be a month before I can get a range report. I too, will be on the lookout for the BMR magazines.

If you guys find magazines for sale please let everybody know and I will do the same. Pretty much all of us did the same thing.

It seems that someone with a 3-D printer could make a magazine body for these Bergaras and a follower not sure on the rubbery bottom and the spring is something to work on .I’m not real knowledgeable about the process but it seems a good bet. I might get one of them 3 D printers for a few things.never to old to learn.Unless you forget what you were thinking of!

anybody interested,you can put an .030 shim under the front of theBMR scope rail to level it ,I used an old NYState liscense and punched the two holes with a leather punch.