• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beger VLD Jump?

50MOAshooter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
I am trying to work up a 140gr berger VLD hunting load for my 284 win. It has a 29" 1:9 benchmark barrel and lots of free bore. The previous load was worked up by the gentleman i got the rifle from, and it was 168gr berger vld in 50gr of h4350. It was accurate, but very very wimpy so I started playing with it. got up to 180gr VLDs on 55gr of 4350 and 2900 fps. where as the old 168s were moving along at a about 2650. Last night i was watching ron spomer and he was comparing 120s, 140s, and 180s at silly velocities. But the point was clear, at the speeds im attaining with the 180s, id probably be alot better off with 140s going as hard as i can push them and save my 180s for my 7RM. The problem is potentially, my 168s were loaded 2.50 CBTO which put them at .010 jump and about half of the bearing surface in the mouth. The 140s at the same jump put the boat tail half way in the mouth. To get a good amount of bullet in the case, im lookong at .300 jump (yes, almpst a third of an inch). Anyone have luck with that much jump? Ive heard of people going out to .150ish and having luck. If i could Find 139 SSTs id give them a shot but reloading components around here are scarce.

I think the only way to know for sure is to try it. I have shot the 6.5mm VLDs at .150 in one rifle and they hammered. I’ve also shot them at jam, .020 and .050 in different barrels with great results.

Reactions: howler