• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginner - need equipment recommendations and advice

Dustycoyote

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2023
USA
Hi all,

I am looking for some guidance in starting to reload.

I have never reloaded before and am looking for some equipment recommendations (and would love any other guidance experienced reloaders are willing to offer about getting started.)
I'd love to get some specific equipment model recommendations as well as equipment "type" recommendations.

I will reload 9mm, 223/5.56, and 6.5Grendel. I don't expect to ever need more than those three.

I realistically only expect to load maybe 1000 to 1500 rounds a year but value my time and would like equipment that is simple, accurate, reliable, and takes minimal ongoing adjustments or maintenance. I am not a competitive shooter but would like the ability to load quality precision ammo. (when I say precision, I mean that from a recreational/hobby sense. Precision means something different to me than it would to a competitive shooter I'm sure. I would like to be able to match or possibly exceed factory rounds maybe??)

I've been reading reviews and forums about different presses. Based on info I've read on your site and others, I have the current assumptions. Please correct me where I'm wrong or advise me where I need more info;

Current assumptions;

I believe that a single stage is what would be most convenient and appropriate for my use. It seems a turret will very probably even end up costing me more time in adjustments for caliber than the turret might save me overall? I am not sure on this one yet, as I am not sure that the turret introduces as much complexity as I am thinking it does.
I had originally thought that a progressive was what I wanted, but after reading more I am thinking that a progressive would just be a pain in the butt for someone like me. It seems to be more for a high volume shooter who is going to do large runs of a single caliber. For me, I would probaby spend a lot more time (and make more errors) getting things set up for small runs.

I think that I should be looking for something with quick change dies? I believe that this dramatically reduces the amount of adjustments I need to make as I change from one die type to another?

A lot of the presses on the market seem to have been designed many years, or even decades ago. This seems odd to me since there seeem to be a lot of little niggly issues with almost every machine/model I do research on. I know this isn't a large market but, with the passion and investment I see in the reloading community, I would have expected more innovation in the equipment to make them more convenient or consistent. Maybe it's there and I'm missing it?

The reading I've done so far has kind of led me to the following models. they are roughly in order of my current preference;

MEC Marksman -
  • seems to be a more recent design with good reviews in a few places (like Loaddevelopment.com)
  • But several reviews on Amazon aren't so great. and some comments in these forums point out some weaknesses.
  • Not sure if this model includes "quick change" dies or not. Is this one a pain to change between dies, or over to new calibers?

Forster Co-Ax
  • This one seems to have been around a while and loved by many
  • Made in USA and supposed to be good quality
  • uses non-proprietary die holders (Quick-change plates??) so I could by from any vendor I want for parts?

Frankford Arsenal M
  • seems a lot like the CO-AX but cheaper and made in China
  • overall good reviews and comments, but some members of this forum have had issues and moved to other presses

RCBS Rebel
  • Haven't done any research on this one yet but one member said they like it.
  • seems basic with nothing innovative standing out about it. But again, I haven't researched it.

Redding Boss
  • I add this one just because I might be able to get it at a bit of a discount.
  • Can't find a lot of comment on it but I assume that the videos and comments on the "Big Boss" apply to this one as well.
  • seems like an old basic design but its value is that it is well-built?

Should I be adding others here, or maybe turrets??

Besides the press itself, what kind of a $$ outlay am I looking at? what dies will i need to buy, what other equipment (cleaner, etc.?) what equipment is not required but I should probably plan to get it? (an example here might be a hand primer tool? seems like a lot of people don't use the primer tool on their press??)

for any of this other equipment, what features/ qualities should I be looking for? Any specific models anyone recommends? And what guidance would you give to someone who is just starting out and is free to buy whatever equipment would be best?

I'm not wealthy, and want to watch costs, but I value quality design and durability. I'd like something that I can pass to my kids and am willing to pay more for better design and quality.

Any direct help or direction you can give me is much appreciated.

thanks all.

Also,
Where to look for the best prices on reloading materials like bullets, powder, primer, etc.??

OP, any of the presses you have listed will work. Take a look at kits if possible. They will have a lot of base items you will need. You can pick up the other items along the way.

If by watching your money you mean getting started at a reasonable price, dont bother with the 419. While it’s a really nice press at $1200+ for the press alone, you would be watching your funds walk out the door.

Last edited:
Reloading 9mm on a single stage sucks. A lot. We've all been there at some point in our reloading journey (the poors, anyway) and quickly abandoned it altogether. if you're shooting 1500 rounds a month, go for it. If you're doing 1500 rounds a year then screw that.

At your volume, buy the 9mm and focus on the precision stuff for reloading. Buy plinking .223 too and only reload the rounds that count.

I'd also focus on the scale and the dies more than the press. And components. That goes without saying. You can load some damn accurate ammo on a cheap lee single stage.

My biggest 2 pieces of advice...

1. In my opinion, the cheapest but most impactful item to add to the bench is dedicate reloading journal. No form of precision can exist without repeatability. A journal WILL be instrumental in achieving this. They make reloading journals you can buy online but I just use a simple spiral notebook.

2. Pace yourself and prioritize where your money goes. You will discover VERY quickly that this hobby is the definition of a black hole when it comes to your wallet. there are 900 things I would like to add to my bench but I am methodical about what I purchase and when. Ask yourself what new piece of equipment will benefit you most an specifically how it will benefit you. I am currently dedicating my money to things that will cut down on my time at the bench. For me, the more time I spend at the bench, the less I shoot.

All of the equipment you listed will work just fine. I'm on a MEC Marksman. While its not the perfect press, its still a really good one in my opinion. Sure, every tool will have its pros and cons when compared to each other but solid loads can be made using less expensive equipment just as effectively as more expensive equipment.

Consider why you're going down this path. 1000 rounds a year isn't a lot, and it will take you a long time to break even in equipment and component costs against factory, not factoring in your time and effort. As mentioned, you're not going to enjoy doing 9mm on a single stage.

If you want a separate, shooting related hobby - any of those presses would work. I'd avoid the 'reloading starter kits.' They have lots of stuff you may not want, or need, or be happy with the quality of. Keep reading any of the number of forum posts that break down the tools you need, then get mid tier versions of those piecemeal. You'll end up buying fewer things twice.

Hi all,

I am looking for some guidance in starting to reload.

I have never reloaded before and am looking for some equipment recommendations (and would love any other guidance experienced reloaders are willing to offer about getting started.)
I'd love to get some specific equipment model recommendations as well as equipment "type" recommendations.

I will reload 9mm, 223/5.56, and 6.5Grendel. I don't expect to ever need more than those three.

I realistically only expect to load maybe 1000 to 1500 rounds a year but value my time and would like equipment that is simple, accurate, reliable, and takes minimal ongoing adjustments or maintenance. I am not a competitive shooter but would like the ability to load quality precision ammo. (when I say precision, I mean that from a recreational/hobby sense. Precision means something different to me than it would to a competitive shooter I'm sure. I would like to be able to match or possibly exceed factory rounds maybe??)

I've been reading reviews and forums about different presses. Based on info I've read on your site and others, I have the current assumptions. Please correct me where I'm wrong or advise me where I need more info;

Current assumptions;

I believe that a single stage is what would be most convenient and appropriate for my use. It seems a turret will very probably even end up costing me more time in adjustments for caliber than the turret might save me overall? I am not sure on this one yet, as I am not sure that the turret introduces as much complexity as I am thinking it does.
I had originally thought that a progressive was what I wanted, but after reading more I am thinking that a progressive would just be a pain in the butt for someone like me. It seems to be more for a high volume shooter who is going to do large runs of a single caliber. For me, I would probaby spend a lot more time (and make more errors) getting things set up for small runs.

I think that I should be looking for something with quick change dies? I believe that this dramatically reduces the amount of adjustments I need to make as I change from one die type to another?

A lot of the presses on the market seem to have been designed many years, or even decades ago. This seems odd to me since there seeem to be a lot of little niggly issues with almost every machine/model I do research on. I know this isn't a large market but, with the passion and investment I see in the reloading community, I would have expected more innovation in the equipment to make them more convenient or consistent. Maybe it's there and I'm missing it?

The reading I've done so far has kind of led me to the following models. they are roughly in order of my current preference;

MEC Marksman -
  • seems to be a more recent design with good reviews in a few places (like Loaddevelopment.com)
  • But several reviews on Amazon aren't so great. and some comments in these forums point out some weaknesses.
  • Not sure if this model includes "quick change" dies or not. Is this one a pain to change between dies, or over to new calibers?

Forster Co-Ax
  • This one seems to have been around a while and loved by many
  • Made in USA and supposed to be good quality
  • uses non-proprietary die holders (Quick-change plates??) so I could by from any vendor I want for parts?

Frankford Arsenal M
  • seems a lot like the CO-AX but cheaper and made in China
  • overall good reviews and comments, but some members of this forum have had issues and moved to other presses

RCBS Rebel
  • Haven't done any research on this one yet but one member said they like it.
  • seems basic with nothing innovative standing out about it. But again, I haven't researched it.

Redding Boss
  • I add this one just because I might be able to get it at a bit of a discount.
  • Can't find a lot of comment on it but I assume that the videos and comments on the "Big Boss" apply to this one as well.
  • seems like an old basic design but its value is that it is well-built?

Should I be adding others here, or maybe turrets??

Besides the press itself, what kind of a $$ outlay am I looking at? what dies will i need to buy, what other equipment (cleaner, etc.?) what equipment is not required but I should probably plan to get it? (an example here might be a hand primer tool? seems like a lot of people don't use the primer tool on their press??)

for any of this other equipment, what features/ qualities should I be looking for? Any specific models anyone recommends? And what guidance would you give to someone who is just starting out and is free to buy whatever equipment would be best?

I'm not wealthy, and want to watch costs, but I value quality design and durability. I'd like something that I can pass to my kids and am willing to pay more for better design and quality.

Any direct help or direction you can give me is much appreciated.

thanks all.

Also,
Where to look for the best prices on reloading materials like bullets, powder, primer, etc.??
I am going to post again since I didn't actually address most of your questions.

I personally don't recommend reloading anything that you will be shooting in bulk. For me, that's 9mm an 5.56. When I look at the cost/time involved, it makes wayy more sense for me to just buy ammo than to reload. I only reload for my precision rifles. Having said that, if you still plan to reload for stuff like that, a progressive press would be the way to go. The time an energy you save for this purpose specifically using a progressive press will be invaluable.

As far as what kind of $$ you could be looking... This is a DEEEEP hobby. Pick a number anywhere between a good chunk and a truly vomit worthy amount... You will land somewhere in that range.

My opinions on "additional tools" would be to keep it as low cost as possible. To me, there is no sense in additional equipment if you already have that functionality. You gave the example of a hand primer tool... If the press you choose already has that function, just stick with that until you become more experienced, then add tools to fill any need or want that may arise.

I don't have any specific recommendations on brands as damn near all of them will work just fine. I will say this though... if you go the extreme cheap route, you will spend more money in the long run for upgrades. Stay somewhere in the middle for cost. Equipment will be good enough to last you a long time and not cheap enough to make you constantly wish you had spent more to begin with.

For what sites/stores work for components, I suggest keeping an eye on the in stock thread. It will serve a dual purpose of showing you what stores guys are looking at as well as alerting you to what in stock and where. A valuable thread to watch in todays absurd market.

I would buy any of the presses you have listed and learn how to reload, get experience reloading, too many buy all the high end equipment but don't know how to reload. Once you gain experience you will know what upgrades you will want, the single stage press you buy now will not be a waste, I have more than one press as I am sure many do, I have my single stage presses set up for certain functions and leave them that way.

For the amount of rounds a year you’re talking about definitely don’t bother reloading as others have said above. Also said for 9 and 5.56 only at 1,000 rounds just buy a case a year of each and go shoot. The financial aspect of reloading is the only thing most consider but the time and space are also huge considerations. It’s also a huge rabbit hole of gear that is never ending. So unless your just dying to be a reloader skip it, buy ammo and shoot.

Reloading is not how many rounds. Rifle loading is a journey. Quickly your rifle becomes much more. Learn the basics. See the print.

Before you buy any reloading tools or presses, go buy a proper reloading manual like the Hornady one.

Ignore, at first, all of the load data. Read the chapters on how to reload and how to select tools.
Read it again.
And again until it all begins making sense.

Go buy a second manual and do the same thing.

Then and only then should you start buying stuff.

If you insist on reloading 9mm, then just go buy the 4-hole turrett press made by Lee. On sale, they cost about $125. It comes with everything needed to load 9mm including the dies. You'll still need a scale, calipers, loading blocks and a bunch of other stuff to include brass, bullets, primers, powder.

At this point you'll have spent enough to purchase 4-5,000 rounds of plinking ammo and you don't have anything loaded yet. Not to mention the hours you'll spend trying to load all of it to get to that 5,000 number, and the time used sourcing components.

If all of that is worth it to you, then you can do the same with the 223/5.56 stuff. You'll save quite a bit, and your return on investment comes much quicker.

For the Grendel, the ROI is much better.

I've been reloading since 1988, and 9mm was the second cartridge I loaded for. Even back then when components were cheap, I found out it really wasn't worth my time for the amount I shot and the time invested to load them.

If I shot 9mm more, I'd load them on my progressive press. It's just not worth my time unless I shoot more than 100 per month. Even then, the component cost is so close to loaded ammunition, it's not really worth the bother.

Reactions: Dustycoyote
Coax press and forster dies

Calipers with both hornady headspace and bullet comparators

Powered three way trimmer/chamfer/deburr

Electronic powder throw/scale

Vibratory tumbler and some 20-40 grit cob blasting media

Reactions: Dustycoyote
For your goals I would get a turret press. You can leave your dies set up and buy additional turrets for each caliber. I have the T-7 and the 419 Zero. The 419 will never be worth the money for most people and definitely not for you goals. The T-7 while more expensive than the Lee will allow you set up for two calibers per turret head.

Mid to lower price auto dispense powder scales will do fine. Chargemaster/Hornady/Lyman etc.

Expensive dies are worth the money in my opinion but Lee dies do just fine. The only dies I’ve had bad luck with are RCBS and all except one instance that could have been my fault.

Hand primer. Frankford Arsenal Platinum is worth the $80 ish you will pay for it.

Spend the money for a better powder funnel up front. The cheap generic size plastic ones are just that. Static will drive you crazy. I use the lyman brass smith pro. $34 at midway.

For your goals I would get a turret press. You can leave your dies set up and buy additional turrets for each caliber. I have the T-7 and the 419 Zero. The 419 will never be worth the money for most people and definitely not for you goals. The T-7 while more expensive than the Lee will allow you set up for two calibers per turret head.

Mid to lower price auto dispense powder scales will do fine. Chargemaster/Hornady/Lyman etc.

Expensive dies are worth the money in my opinion but Lee dies do just fine. The only dies I’ve had bad luck with are RCBS and all except one instance that could have been my fault.

Hand primer. Frankford Arsenal Platinum is worth the $80 ish you will pay for it.

Spend the money for a better powder funnel up front. The cheap generic size plastic ones are just that. Static will drive you crazy. I use the lyman brass smith pro. $34 at midway.
+1 on this , great advice . T7 makes life easier . Frankford primer tool is a solid piece w/ adjustable depth . Chargemaster is plenty fine to get going, works well with stick powder .

+1 on this , great advice . T7 makes life easier . Frankford primer tool is a solid piece w/ adjustable depth . Chargemaster is plenty fine to get going, works well with stick powder .
I concur the turret recommendation. I went that route initially because I had used a friend's single stage for pistol and liked the ability to size and flare the mouth at one stage without changing dies. You get a lot of flexibility.

There are some fairly cheap progressive presses to do handgun ammo on. I made a lot of ammo on my Lee Loadmaster.

Reactions: FireFoot
thanks to everyone for the info.
Going to post a little more info here and some updates based on some of the advice I've gotten from members.

First,
I understand that reloading can, and is likely to, grow into a bit of an obsession and a costly one. I've already experienced that when my brother recommended to me that I should build a gun in order to better understand my firearms. As I was doing my research for my first build, a forum member who was giving me advice stated that "once someone starts building guns, those guns tend to breed". I found that to be too true....

Reloading is a bit different for me in that I really don't have a lot of time for an additional hobby. I actually think it sounds like a big pain in the butt. But I do want (and think it is important) to develop this skill and understanding of my guns and ammunition.

I don't expect to save money by reloading, with the possible exception of on my 6.5 Grendel. I'm hoping that, after the inital investment in equipment, I'll be able to shoot the grendel more often. It's tough to go out a play around with it when every pull costs me 1.00-1.50 right now. And I think that I may be able to relaod the .223 for a similar cost for what I am paying retail, but with the benefit of a higher quality bullet. (ie a varmint bullet rather than M855 or M193...
But overall I just want to have the skill and understanding of reloading, And to be able to secure my own supply and access to my 2nd amendment rights when laws may make it hard to find supply via retail sales...

That is why one of my priorities is for simplicity and convenience. I want something that I can get set up the way I want and then leave it that way.

Some of the answers above have made me lean toward turret systems. I'm not really concerned about the ultra level of consistency that a single press may offer over a turret. If the community thinks that a turret unit isn't a big downside to a turret for someone like me (other than adding a 100.00 to the inital cost), and if it's not going to add complexity and constant readjustments to my operation, then I am really interested in the turrets flexibility and convenience..
I still wonder if a CO-AX or another single press with quick change capability wouldn't still be quicker, and would like some feedback on that. But multiple comments that loading 9mm on a single is a tedious nightmare make me think that a turret may be what I want.

Here is what I am thinking now;
A turret press
  • Maybe a T-7 or a Lyman AA 8?. (also looked at the RCBS but don't like that it has less stations)
    • I like that both of these have lots of stations. I am hoping to get at least 2 calibers completely outfitted on one turret.
    • I like the extra station on the Lyman and the savings in cost can help fund some of the additional equipment I need
    • The T-7 seems to be pretty universally respected.
    • I haven't seen really anything online that makes me think the Lyman wouldn't perform similarly. Maybe not exactly as well but seems to be a lot of good feedback online for it
  • I would utilize one of the turret stations for a powder drop with a LnL case-activated dropper equipped.
    • I would add LnL bushings to this powder station so I can change powders as needed for each caliber.
  • pre recommendation above, I would use the primer tool onboard the press for priming (did watch one video review that said the Lyman primer needed some cleaning and deburring to make it work right...)

Any thoughts or concerns on these units?

One question I have is what types of dies I need to get for each caliber? Will I be able to fit 2 or even three calibers on a single turret on one of these units?
I know I need a resizer and seater for each caliber. What else do I need?
And I've seen people referring to full size dies (resizing?) and non-full size. For each die type, what should I be looking for??
If I go with carbide, does that mean I will never have to use lubricant? Would I want carbide for all dies, or just resizing?

And thank you to everyone who gave any specific products that they like. It helps for me to get specific models to look into.I'm interested in models of equipment that is good quality but where I'm hopefully not funding some brands marketing budget if I can avoid it...

Also, how long can I store smokeless powder? will it last years (decades?) in a dry container? same for primers?

Complete equipment list that I think I need so far (special thanks to Wile-Coyote and Spife7980);
  • Press
  • dies (types I need?)
  • primer tool (likley to be on the press)
  • powder funnel, dispenser, and trickler (and the LnL case activated drop)
  • shell holders (i saw a recommendation to only use Lyman if I go with the Lyman turret, otherwise any brand is good?)
  • mechnical beam scale (to measure powder loads??)
  • loading block (don't konw what this is)
  • Calipers (I have some, but it was said that I should get some with both hornady headspace and bullet comparators?)
  • A case comparator or depth micrometer help to measure shoulder bump (is this wat is being referenced in the line above?)
  • Powered three way trimmer/chamfer/deburrer
  • Brass Cleaner
  • Do I need a bullet puller?
Anything missing? recommendations or more info???

What he said ^^^^ and reconsider a turret press, for that volume a T7 or 419 would be my choice.
Try a Redding T7 turret press you get all your dies for a specific caliber set once and get a separate turret for each rifle . never adjust any dies again swap out a turret and you’re good to go! 419 is nice, but they are expensive!

For calipers I’m pretty happy with my I gauging calipers when I started out I had very cheap Lyman or Hornady calipers weren’t very consistent. I gauging works very well ( for the price)but I’m sure others such as Mitutoyo are better, but more money

Last edited:
Coax press and forster dies

Calipers with both hornady headspace and bullet comparators

Powered three way trimmer/chamfer/deburr

Electronic powder throw/scale

Vibratory tumbler and some 20-40 grit cob blasting media
This is a good answer to your question. Focus on rifle. I would only say that my Lyman 8 turret press is by far my favorite and with the turret that creedmore sells for it, it's even better. Lots of folks love the co ax though and the simplicity of it is attractive. I just like being able to leave my stuff set up for a few calibers. I have a mec also and a rcbs that I'm about to trade for a dillon just for context.

Reactions: 338dude
For brass prep with the amount you’re going to do hand tools from lyman . I use a cheap vibratory Tumblr with walnut hull media from Harbor freight. Also, you mentioned a bullet puller. If you do enough that it is necessary a collet puller in your Turret for that caliber set it once, and only use it when necessary.

Carbide dies are for straight wall cases. Usually pistol. You don’t need lube with carbide dies.

I use a 4 die set up on pistol but 3 does the job just fine. The 4th die is a factory crimp die. If you don’t use it the seater die will crimp when you seat the bullet. It just depends on how you set it up.

2 dies for rifle works fine. I don’t see a need in your program for bushings etc etc.

Beam scales are accurate but maddeningly slow. A good powder drop like you plan on will cover most any pistol load.

I made many thousand rounds of good ammo with just dial calipers. I now use the comparator and headspace gauge. What you’ll find in reloading manuals is overall length which is measured by calipers. Not headspace or distance to the lands that these tools measure.

Can I assume that the .223 and 6.5 Grendel are semi-auto rifles and not precision bolt guns? If that’s the case don’t overthink it. Full length size and set the oal to what runs best in your rifle. No extra gauges needed.

so,
If I get a good powder drop, I don't need the scales?

and, do I need a die/tool to remove the factory crimp from my lake city 5.56 brass?

Pistol = powder drop

Rifle= depends

You need scales to determine what you’re dropping though.

I just sold off my reloading gear - put it all in a spreadsheet to value it before selling and I had about $4200 worth. That was for a Co Ax with all the toys to load for precision plus components (LabRadar, autotrickler) - I loaded about 500 pistol rounds before I gave up on pistol ammo.

It really made sense for magnum center fire (top notch 300 PRC for $1.25 vs mediocre Hornady for $3 or premium loaded ammo for $5). It was actually as fast to load 300 PRC as it was for .223, and faster than loading handgun ammo (one extra brass prep step for pistol (flaring), two for my tight chambered handguns (Flare and LEE FCD).

I think I came about $3500 short of getting my money back from reloading 🤣🤣. If I get back into it, I would never do handgun calibers or 223 on a non progressive again. I also got rid of my big magnum rifles and went back to a Creedmoor where I can shoot $1.70 apiece Berger ammo and sell the Lapua brass for around $.60.

The big upside of my whole journey was that I learned a LOT more about internal ballistics. Why some loads shoot, why some don’t, why guns “like” certain bullet weights or brands of ammunition. Was a great education, and after the loss on selling my gear and the savings from reloading are netted out, it was $500 well spent.

so, per that last note, Does a turret make it any better to load pistol rounds? Or would I need to be looking at a progressive to make it bearable?

Reloading is a bit different for me in that I really don't have a lot of time for an additional hobby. I actually think it sounds like a big pain in the butt.
Because of this ^^^ I'd recommend you not get into reloading. As others said. 9MM & 5.56 ammo is readily available and prices are coming down.

I spent a lot of time getting a friend started in reloading for his 308 and 6.5 CM. Getting him all of the correct stuff. It's been a couple of years since I set him up.

I visited him recently and took a look at his reloading bench. It was a mess with other tools and crap covering the bench. He hadn't done any reloading. A waste of my time and disappointing.

Reloading is a passion and hobby for many of us. I actually get a lot of enjoyment of reloading as a hobby. The dozens of Deer & Hogs taken by my family was all taken with ammo I reloaded.

Becaues of those two sentences you posted, I'd consider backing away.

Because of this ^^^ I'd recommend you not get into reloading. As others said. 9MM & 5.56 ammo is readily available and prices are coming down.

I spent a lot of time getting a friend started in reloading for his 308 and 6.5 CM. Getting him all of the correct stuff. It's been a couple of years since I set him up.

I visited him recently and took a look at his reloading bench. It was a mess with other tools and crap covering the bench. He hadn't done any reloading. A waste of my time and disappointing.

Reloading is a passion and hobby for many of us. I actually get a lot of enjoyment of reloading as a hobby. The dozens of Deer & Hogs taken by my family was all taken with ammo I reloaded.

The reason I'm looking at reloading is the sentence that comes after that.

I don't ever expect reloading to become one of my regular hobbies. I expect that I'll do it 2 or 3 times a year. I want the intelligence and understanding that comes from reloading. I want to have the skill. And the equipment in case that skill ever becomes more critically necessary.

The reason I'm looking at reloading is the sentence that comes after that.

I don't ever expect reloading to become one of my regular hobbies. I expect that I'll do it 2 or 3 times a year. I want the intelligence and understanding that comes from reloading. I want to have the skill. And the equipment in case that skill ever becomes more critically necessary.
It takes A LOT of time, no matter how you slice it. The nice tools make it much faster but they are a lot more money, but I get what you're saying.

You say you enjoy reloading, yet you tell the OP not to bother ? Go away !

Unless I missed it, we still haven’t seen a budget. All the things recommended, while good, start to add up and you should know how deep you’re jumping in.
Since it’s low use and to build understanding, a 223 Lee loader is like $50 from the Lee site, paired with a single flat of primers ($10), box of bullets ($30), and pound of powder ($40) from your local sportsman’s/cabelas/etc puts you all in at like $130.

Doing it “in case it becomes critically necessary” could be done a lot cheaper and easier by stacking a case a year in the basement for a rainy day. Takes up a lot less room, too.

If you value your time, loading 9mm and .223 on a single stage press is going to be soul-sucking.

And loading 1500 rounds a year, it's just not worth it. If you're worried about it becoming "critically necessary" just put away an extra case of each caliber each year.

If you just want to learn how to reload, someone in your area that reloads would be happy to show you the basics on their equipment.

A mentor of sorts would be a great idea as mentioned. If not a mentor then simply someone to show you what all is involved. You have a general location? I bet someone is in your area.

Reactions: oldnewguy
These last two comment got me thinking whether I should be reconsidering getting into reloading. Its a good point that I could learn the same info without necessarily getting all the gear. Or even by just getting some very basic gear. And, as I already recognized myself, only the Grendel makes any financial sense to reload on.

Having said that, The Grendel is the one that I am most interested in, and that I was hoping reloading to help me get out and shoot more. Saving 50cents a round when shooting that gun starts to make a lot of sense after only like 1000 rounds. And if I am going to buy something to reload the grendel anyway, then its not much more investment to by the dies, etc. for the other two rounds I believe. And there is always the chance that I start to get excited about improving accuracy on the Grendel really getting into reloading for the precision aspect. (I almost hope that I don't get excited about this as I already have a lot of hobbies that are pretty big black holes for money that should be going to retirement funds.. :) )

Thinking now about whether I can get what I want without necessarily committing the funds and time to reloading but until I think that is the best route, I'd like to still get info to build out a reloading plan.

Interestingly, the note from TheOfficeT-Rex may have sent me the opposite direction of what he possibly intended.
I went to Lees website to look up that basic $50 reloader. I saw that it doesn't work with 6.5 Grendel so I started looking around their site. Lots of good info there....

Reading about their new Six Pack Pro progressive got me thinking about some things. I had previously wondered why so many experienced reloaders say that they have more than one press, and why so many say that they perform different stages of the reloading process on separate presses. Then I watched a youtube vid a guy did about the six-pack where he said he loves it, and that it is a great press, but that he wouldn't use it for rifle rounds. He says that the reason is that the case resizer lube gets all over the other stations and messes things up. So it started to make sense why people might use separate presses for separate stages.. Is this pretty common for everyone? They don't want to do rifle rounds on a progressive (or at least the resizing stage for rifle rounds?)

Since I am focused on speed, convenience, and reducing the amount of time reloading will take up, would it make sense to buy a single press to do resizing and prime/deprime, then a cheap progressive like the six pack to do everything else?

I am not sure I understand fully why the general recommendation is for beginners to stay away from progressives. I might need some more insight here.

My concern is that a turret doesn't really seem like it would be a whole lot faster than a single press that has quick change bushings for the dies. Wouldn't a progressive be the fastest? Even if I'm infrequently doing lots of maybe 100-300 rounds of a each caliber?

As far as funds/budget (asked by TheOfficeT-Rex),
Entering this with almost no info, I had hoped to keep this under $1000. As far under that as I reasonably can while not getting cheap equipment that will underperform.
I am willing to pay more to get the types of equipment/gear that improve speed/convenience. Alternately, I am not a precision shooter, and I don't think I need to pay the premium for top brands that focus on absolute performance. (ie. Everything I am reading seems to show that I would be fine with Lyman or even Lee [rather than say a Dillon] for most things, as long as I am buying the right type of equipment...) Everything I am reading about presses and dies, etc. seems to show that most well known brands seem to get pretty consistent good reviews for someone like me.
Research so far seems to show that I could do this for quite a bit under 1000.00, but the farther away from that number I get, I start to create some real inconveniences for myself.

And, in case a progressive can be part of a good equipment plan for me, the Lee Six pack may be about the only one that seems to fit the bill for the funds I want to spend. Any feedback on it?

Last edited:
A mentor of sorts would be a great idea as mentioned. If not a mentor then simply someone to show you what all is involved. You have a general location? I bet someone is in your area.
That's how I started loading. I spent 3 Saturdays at the guys house in his loading area of his basement going through the whole process and ultimately, loading a bunch of .308 for myself. There's really not any other way to get all those little habits put into your process without going through some major growing pains. It's Definitely the best way to learn how.

Given your budget you couldn’t get into a good progressive and all the components. Just my opinion.

Plus plus plus you’re worried about time and progressives sound fast. Well they damn sure are, after you learn them and all their quirks and get it set up. By the time you get set up reliably you could load a thousand rounds I’m thinking. And just for one caliber. Change calibers, start over.

You’re right, a press with quick change dies is almost as fast as a turret. Almost.

I just started reloading about 1 year ago. I wanted to take up the hobby to learn. I went with the RCBS Rebel Master reloading kit. I reload 6.5 x 55 Swede and .223 Remington. I use RCBS standard dies. I saved all the brass I shot prior to getting into reloading. Do I save any money? No. Do I enjoy "getting away" for a bit? Yes. Do I enjoy the "testing" and "analytics"? Yes.

But let me tell you...you will end up adding so much stuff to your reloading room!!!

You really could spend as much as you have....1000s upon 1000s upon 1000s if you have it and let yourself.

I am not sure I understand fully why the general recommendation is for beginners to stay away from progressives. I might need some more insight here.
In my opinion its because going down the progressive route while learning the process completely from scratch is a pretty big bite to chew right out of the gate. There is a lot going on at the same time. I single stage press can help simplify the process and help you learn the specifics that go into each stage.

Reloading is both simple as hell and complex as can be. The idea is simple and the components needed are few but complex because there can be a lot of nuance that goes into it. Skill and knowledge like that can only be earned through experience.

I have a few jeep projects that I plan to work on shortly. One of them needs a new engine. I have done a ton of research and can comfortably say that I know every nut and bolt in that 4.0 liter. But I promise you I will run into problems 30 seconds into the project because I have never done it before. I don't know all the tips and tricks that makes it a much easier process. Now throw a transmission rebuild and an axle swap together with the engine rebuild and I'm in serious trouble. Too much going on at the same time. Something like that can easily derail a new hobby... But if you are patient and willing to learn it all at the same time it can be done no problem. Pros and cons to each route.

Having said that... I still recommend a progressive press for your purpose. I can tell by your posts that you are an engineer analytical type (all precision shooters and reloaders are to a degree) so I don't think you would have a problem starting out that way.

A good starter "progressive" is the Dillon 550. Much easier to correct small issues compared to a true progressive. Easy and fast to change calibers (as long as they're the same primer size). With the volume you're discussing, you'd never outgrow it. Get a decent deal, and you could sell it used in 10 years for more than you paid.

Listen since you’re not taking the advice to just buy ammo and shoot we’re done with you! No I’m just messing with you lol. Buy the Lee 4 hole turret press with the auto drop kit. Buy the Lee 4 die 9mm carbide set. Maybe a cheap scale. Tightgroup, bullets and pistol primers. You don’t even need lube and honestly don’t hardly need to clean the brass. It couldn’t be an easier cost friendly way to start. Now your reloading pistol and you can learn a lot. Jump into the other calibers once you’ve mastered the 9 and add stuff to your bench then. There’s the easy button laid out for you and in all honesty a fantastic press. By the way you can use the Lee turret as a single stage also you’re not married to the turret process. Just by an extra 4 hole plate and put the die’s in it and turn it manually to whatever die you need when you need it for rifle.

Last edited:
The Lee turret is a great suggestion, especially if you don't want to spend Dillon money yet. Simple to use, super cheap and fast to swap calibers.

I haven't carefully read all the posts in this thread... just skimmed... but the thought processes have been belabored for the 50+ years I've been reloading shotshells & metallic, with "precision" rifle appearing in my setup 5+ years ago. A few thoughts:
  • OP's age is not given. Why does that matter?
    • Because good reloading gear is essentially a lifetime investment. My shotshell presses date back to the 1980s (MEC progressives in 12, 20, 28, .410). For metallic cartridges, my Dillon RL-550B progressive dates back to 1996. Tens of thousands of rounds loaded on them.
    • Dillon Precision has cost-calculation and break-even calculators on their site. My presses paid for themselves LONG ago.
    • With that said: one should not chase handloading for cost savings unless you're looking at a very long term.
  • Wrt single-stage vs. progressive:
    • You can run a simple progressive press (exemplified by Dillon RL-550 series) in a single-stage or hybrid manner as well as progressive (where a loaded cartridge comes out with every actuation of the press's handle)....
    • ... But a single-stage press is going to require 3-4 handle actuations for Every.Single.Cartridge. The term "soul-sucking" used earlier in this thread applies, especially for pistol ammo.
    • Don't let anybody tell you a Dillon RL-550 or similar can't load "precision" rifle ammo. I use mine in a hybrid fashion for precision rifle but can run true progressive for pistol or bulk rifle (the latter requires that one knows what they are doing).
    • True progressives that auto-index and auto-feed are not amenable to hybrid operation... these are the ones that high-volume shooters would want.
  • The earlier advice to buy a PRINTED HARDCOVER reloading manual is about the best advice you're gonna get. It will be a reference you can keep handy on or near your bench. The sections which describe the how-to, why and wherefore of pistol and rifle reloading don't change - my 1970s Speer manual's guidance on those topics is as good today as it was 50 yerars ago.
  • Reloading is a deep and potentially VERY expensive undertaking. Finding an in-person mentor is a good idea.

I haven't carefully read all the posts in this thread.
    • Don't let anybody tell you a Dillon RL-550 or similar can't load "precision" rifle ammo. I use mine in a hybrid fashion for precision rifle but can run true progressive for pistol or bulk rifle (the latter requires that one knows what they are doing).
Multiple National high power championships have been won on a Dillon 550 (although some charges might have been thrown with a funnel).

So a Dillon 550c, which gives the user control of whether it indexes to the next station, can effectively be used as a single stage (or even kind of like a turret), for now, but let's me move to progressive loading as I develop skills and understanding?? Am I understanding this correctly?

I understand that Dillon is great equipment, but it's also pretty pricey. Are there any other manual indexing progressives that members would recommend as well?

Also, do the quick change bushings from Lee or Hornady work with any brand of press?

and I was thinking of doing a case activated powder drop from Lee or Hornady. Do those work well? Is that worth the investment for speed/simplification of the reloading process?

And as for the question about age...
I'm old enough to have earned some stress wrinkles from raising three kids, but young enough to still need to work a job to pay for all their mistakes... :)

That really does play into part of why I'm looking at reloading.

If I can do it efficiently enough not to impact my life too much, it makes a lot of sense to me to spend my money on equipment that will be a lifelong valuable asset and tool, rather than spend it on consumables like ammo. I like this idea even if it makes several years to realize an ROI.

There were a couple suggestions farther up the thread on some reloading books. Any other suggestions on good manuals?

And, how involved and time consuming is it to change calibers on a manual indexing progressive like the Dillon 550? I am assuming that the quick change bushings makes a vast difference in the speed to make a change??

And, if I get a case activated auto dropper, do I still need a scale?

Last edited: