• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginner Production class rifle

Kylejones982

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2022
Southeast
Looking for a production class PRS rifle that's prolly gonna be in 6MM creed. Super interested in the GA PPR but getting your hands on one seems impossible. I know I want to go with a stock over a chassis. Should I build a rifle similiar to the PPR or is there another brand I may look at ? How should I go about building one out ?
Thanks

Not sure what your budget is but there are alot of custom builders out there with 3-6 month build times.
I mainly know of the boys from Texas though, Alamo Precision Rifles, Apache Rifleworks and Redbeard Gunworks.

An Alamo Precision Adjustable Ranger seems pretty similar to GAP.

Hope this helps,
-TK

Not sure what your budget is but there are alot of custom builders out there with 3-6 month build times.
I mainly know of the boys from Texas though, Alamo Precision Rifles, Apache Rifleworks and Redbeard Gunworks.

An Alamo Precision Adjustable Ranger seems pretty similar to GAP.

Hope this helps,
-TK
Production class is capped at $2500

Reactions: Texas Knight
Looking for a production class PRS rifle that's prolly gonna be in 6MM creed. Super interested in the GA PPR but getting your hands on one seems impossible. I know I want to go with a stock over a chassis. Should I build a rifle similiar to the PPR or is there another brand I may look at ? How should I go about building one out ?
Thanks

There's another active thread where the poster asked about production rifles under $2k. Many good suggestions there.

Mpa pmr
Deep south tactical alliance
Seekins havak bravo or HIT
Gap Ppr
BadRock southfork

All quality rifles geared towards prs under the 2500$ cap. Really hard to beat building a 6gt on an origin with a Krieger, bartlein or hawkhill 7.5tw thrown into your chassis/stock of chocie. You'll be in open class but who cares?

Really hard to beat building a 6gt on an origin with a Krieger, bartlein or hawkhill 7.5tw thrown into your chassis/stock of chocie.

Except a 6 BRA an origin with a Krieger, bartlein or hawkhill 7.5tw thrown into your chassis/stock of choice. :unsure::)

Reactions: Rebel Rooster
Except a 6 BRA an origin with a Krieger, bartlein or hawkhill 7.5tw thrown into your chassis/stock of choice. :unsure::)
Have one of those too! The 28" gt runs 109s at 2950, the 26" bra is 105s at 2880. The gt is I feel best balance of case capacity/speed with good barrel life. I like that it can run the varget and h4350 burn rates. Bra you're kinda just stuck to varg. But.....they sure as hell shoot with stupid easy load development.

Have one of those too! The 28" gt runs 109s at 2950, the 26" bra is 105s at 2880. The gt is I feel best balance of case capacity/speed with good barrel life. I like that it can run the varget and h4350 burn rates. Bra you're kinda just stuck to varg. But.....they sure as hell shoot with stupid easy load development.

I actually don't like Varget in my BRA - H4895 all day. With 105s, I plan on 2940 fps, 26" barrel.

Funny thing about your "sure as hell shoot" and "stupid easy load development" comments, when I first got mine and shot the forming rounds through it - arbitrary forming load (29.6 gr H4895) and jammed (e.g. arbitrary too), I shot a .4" group with my first mag and literally laughed out loud.

I tell people all the time that it's actually my least favorite rifle to shoot (somewhat facetious) because at ranges where you can reliably spot misses, it simply doesn't miss, and at ranges you can't... well... you can't, which means a little spray and pray is happening. Either it's an easy button or not worth it. Though when the target is on dry dirt out in the hills (you can spot misses), I find it to be reliable out to 1500-1600 yards and it makes for excellent wind call practice.

Thanks
You can't build a production rifle. You have to buy it built as is. There are more rules than just a $2500 limit.

That said don't get hung up on "production" as it's a joke division. Build a rifle that you like. The Origin action and prefit barrels are a good recommendation and you can put them together at home. PVA has Osprey prefits that will come in fast and are accurate.

You can't build a production rifle. You have to buy it built as is. There are more rules than just a $2500 limit.

That said don't get hung up on "production" as it's a joke division. Build a rifle that you like. The Origin action and prefit barrels are a good recommendation and you can put them together at home. PVA has Osprey prefits that will come in fast and are accurate.
Why is it a joke, Rob?

Why is it a joke, Rob?

Because it's been changed from it's original meaning to start a gear race and prices on "production" rifles going up and up to go with companies who are friends with the PRS to produce basically custom rifles for $2500. While great to get a deal it's not what the original intention was for the division. There was no need for the prices to go up and up on both rifles and optics as you can buy good gear for under the original price cap which i think was around $1500. Even more so now.

Also you get a bunch of shooters who drop to production to get trophies. Called sandbagging. All that makes it a joke and any new guy getting in who is worrying about staying in production is just limiting them selves for no good reason.

If you are in Southeast - a number of MPA "Production Rifles" pop up in local outdoor sale forums in 6mm Creedmoor and especially 6.5 Creedmoor. People buy them to shoot "long range" or compete in PRS, etc. then realize they really do not shoot "long range" or want to compete. The rifles then hit the used market in like new condition in GA, TN, etc. I have seen some at significant discount and fought urge to buy. If you do not like the caliber then buy the prefit you want and sell the original barrel.

If you are in Southeast - a number of MPA "Production Rifles" pop up in local outdoor sale forums in 6mm Creedmoor and especially 6.5 Creedmoor. People buy them to shoot "long range" or compete in PRS, etc. then realize they really do not shoot "long range" or want to compete. The rifles then hit the used market in like new condition in GA, TN, etc. I have seen some at significant discount and fought urge to buy. If you do not like the caliber then buy the prefit you want and sell the original barrel.
Any tips on what groups to start in ? Would definitely be interested in this

That's a good way to save money but don't forget if you use a prefit you are out of production. The barrel has to be replaced by the original smith to keep it production.

Reactions: moosemeat
I too, am new at this and looking at my first purchase, I was leaning towards a production rifle, specifically the MPA, production , are you saying people purchase and can’t shoot long range, or that the production rifles aren’t capable of shooting long range, ? Trying to learn in advance , really don’t want to make a $2500 purchase to find out it isn’t capable, ( not that I am either at this point )

I too, am new at this and looking at my first purchase, I was leaning towards a production rifle, specifically the MPA, production , are you saying people purchase and can’t shoot long range, or that the production rifles aren’t capable of shooting long range, ? Trying to learn in advance , really don’t want to make a $2500 purchase to find out it isn’t capable, ( not that I am either at this point )
The MPA production rifle is great - seen people buy them and then for whatever reason end up not competing then selling them locally on the used market. The "Production" rifles can be a great buy for new PRS or similar uses

I think the Production rifles are a great buy in most cases. Trying to reach that $2500 mark smiths are doing everything they can to cut cost, cut profits and put out an outstanding product that is competitive. The GA Precision PPR would probably cost at least $1000 more under other circumstances. George limits them to 100 per year because he probably isn't making any money on them until a rebarrel is needed. The list that is on post #5 is great. I would look real hard at these. If you like the offerings go for it. They are all great buys and all capable of hanging with the best customs in open division. Like Rob01 said production division isn't looked on the same way as open division but it is nice to have the option.

Last edited:
Rifles are more than capable.

People are fickle and decide they want to do something else.

Because it's been changed from it's original meaning to start a gear race and prices on "production" rifles going up and up to go with companies who are friends with the PRS to produce basically custom rifles for $2500. While great to get a deal it's not what the original intention was for the division. There was no need for the prices to go up and up on both rifles and optics as you can buy good gear for under the original price cap which i think was around $1500. Even more so now.

Also you get a bunch of shooters who drop to production to get trophies. Called sandbagging. All that makes it a joke and any new guy getting in who is worrying about staying in production is just limiting them selves for no good reason.

You really need to re-read your post to see how whiny it looks.

If, as you said "you can buy good gear for under the original price cap which i think was around $1500. Even more so now" then who gives a fuck what the price cap of the division is? Let the morons spend themselves out.

What the fuck does this "a bunch of shooters who drop to production to get trophies" mean? Where does it say that production division is limited to shitty shooters or new shooters? Can good shooters not compete in it? Said who?

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
You really need to re-read your post to see how whiny it looks.

If, as you said "you can buy good gear for under the original price cap which i think was around $1500. Even more so now" then who gives a fuck what the price cap of the division is? Let the morons spend themselves out.

What the fuck does this "a bunch of shooters who drop to production to get trophies" mean? Where does it say that production division is limited to shitty shooters or new shooters? Can good shooters not compete in it? Said who?
Pretty big balls calling people out for opinions when you run your suck all over this site giving your unasked for two cents about everything. So how about you just take it as the opinion of someone other than yourself.

As for production, it was started to get new shooters into the sport with their already owned rifles and not to get pros with custom rifles and $2500 scopes to go in to to get trophies. Nothing about shitty shooters but new. Maybe you don’t remember 10 years ago in the sport but I do. I was already shooting it for almost 10 years before that. 😉

Reactions: swampbuck