• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginner reloading press/kit

Thomasj1107

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2020
So I am just starting reloading but I’ve read a ton and will read more. I have a kind of mentor to help, and I am already hooked so I will want to upgrade supplies quickly I’m sure. With that being said to want to know what the hide thinks about for a first press or kit that will allow me to get started but with the idea that I’ll want better/nicer equipment fairly quickly?

Ive seen a lot of suggestions for a Forster coax, but have also seen they’re almost impossible to get. Also besides the press, is there a kit out there that will allow me to be content with its contents and not feel like I need to upgrade them all very quickly? All suggestions and advice is welcomed. Thanks!

not that it would be the same for you but i recently started reloading my own as well . The first press I chose was the frankford arsonal m press https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020652649
it was in stock and cheap @around 148.00+ shipping . Sadly that story ended about how one would think it would the press its self is not bad My only problems with it came while trying to resize cases It uses a funky sort of adjustable clamps that were supposed to hold the case in place of a shell holder , it failed more than it held 1 in ever 3 cases got stuck no matter how much case lube I used or which brand my next press I just got is the rcbs rebel master kit a bit more money at 458+ change and shipping https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022387772
still trying to build the table it will be mounted to it's a far more stable looking press the kit well was a bit much as i already had everything else that comes in it but I thought it a good idea to have back ups make sure if you go that rout to check to make sure you kit has all the intended parts as mine was short a primer tray I guess its called for the hand primer I already have another so I am not miffed about that being missing , but was told rcbs is really good about sending missing items to make it all better I would recommend getting a better scale maybe some other brand comes with a good scale the one in the kit is really cheap and getting shell holders depending on the round you plan to be loading . regardless of what brand or press you get good luck and best wishes its fun at least I think it is , Nothing like taking and doing what you need to get better ammo and the hunt for your perfect round with your own two hands .:oops::rolleyes:o_O

Last edited:
Are you a veteran?
If you are sign up at RCBS for their VIP program and you'll save up to 40% off if you watch the sales that happen every two weeks or so.
Buying a kit is easy, hard part is which one

Midway wants $454 for the kit on the left.
This picture is from RCBS as of now.
Screenshot_20210603-062301_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210603-062812_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: acudaowner
I have a long history of using both RCBS, Lyman and Redding products. To start out, getting a press from one of these there manufacturers would be a lifetime investment that will likely never wear out. Get a Redding Big Boss, an RCBS RockChucker or Rebel or a Lyman Orange Crush II. Then when you have your feet firmly on the ground, you can move into more sophisticated machines. But and that’s a big But, you will always find uses for one of those big solid single stage presses and you may find that you never have to purchase anything more.

As always, a reliable beam scale is something else that will last forever and be a great backup to any electronic scale If you choose to go in that direction. Finally, a quality caliper and scale weights. Both can be rather expensive but indispensable to build safe reloads.

I have a long history of using both RCBS, Lyman and Redding products. To start out, getting a press from one of these there manufacturers would be a lifetime investment that will likely never wear out. Get a Redding Big Boss, an RCBS RockChucker or Rebel or a Lyman Orange Crush II. Then when you have your feet firmly on the ground, you can move into more sophisticated machines. But and that’s a big But, you will always find uses for one of those big solid single stage presses and you may find that you never have to purchase anything more.

As always, a reliable beam scale is something else that will last forever and be a great backup to any electronic scale If you choose to go in that direction. Finally, a quality caliper and scale weights. Both can be rather expensive but indispensable to build safe reloads.

Thank you, I’m leaning towards the rock chucker supreme. Would you recommend going with the kit with that press or buying the press alone and building a kit?

Depends on what your going to be reloading, rifle, pistol, precision stuff or plinking ammo in larger quantities, do you have the cash to go balls out or are you on a budget? Whats the largest your prob going to be reloading...?

Reactions: simonp
6.5 PRC. The goal is to just get into it and then tinker into PRS (will also be my hunting rifle). Balls out isn’t necessarily where I’m at but I don’t mind spending money on good equipment that will last

Just my $0.10 but Id say either a RCBS Rock Chucker, Redding BB, or Lee Classic, your reloading setup will be constantly evolving so getting a good base to do what you need then add to your collection is what I would suggest. I did everything with a RCBS Partner and hand threw powder for about 8 yrs and If I could start over I would have got a RCBS Rock Chucker and Chargemaster to start with but I was more concerned with spending money on consumables than my reloading setup at that point.

Just my $0.10 but Id say either a RCBS Rock Chucker, Redding BB, or Lee Classic, your reloading setup will be constantly evolving so getting a good base to do what you need then add to your collection is what I would suggest. I did everything with a RCBS Partner and hand threw powder for about 8 yrs and If I could start over I would have got a RCBS Rock Chucker and Chargemaster to start with but I was more concerned with spending money on consumables than my reloading setup at that point.

Rock chucker and rebel one in the same?

No slightly different the Rebel was new in 2020 see below pretty decent side by side for the Rebel / Rock Chucker

I have personally never used one but RCBS puts out nice equipment so I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Now with the chargemaster.... it’s about 360 ish. Is there anything else in between that and whatever basic measurement device comes with the kits that I could get and have an upgrade but not quite 360?

Thanks everyone! Besides the charge master what would be the second and third thing you’d upgrade from a kit if you could do it all over again

Thanks everyone! Besides the charge master what would be the second and third thing you’d upgrade from a kit if you could do it all over again
Get a good case prep center, good tumbler, and good media separator. Prepping brass is probably the least fun of reloading, also did this by hand for years, a good case prep center will change your life compared to doing it by hand...

Reactions: slowworm
I haven't found it one to be better than the other. The Rebel is overbuilt, compared to the RC. Rumor has it, the Rebel castings are MIC and final machined in the USA. Regardless, it is a solid press. I tend to overbuild and buy overbuilt. If I had just one, I'd buy the Rebel.

I haven't found it one to be better than the other. The Rebel is overbuilt, compared to the RC. Rumor has it, the Rebel castings are MIC and final machined in the USA. Regardless, it is a solid press. I tend to overbuild and buy overbuilt. If I had just one, I'd buy the Rebel.
Good to know thanks for the intel