• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Beginner Tips and Understanding MOA/MIL

Arrowhedz

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2020
I am extremely new to longer range shooting and understanding MOA/MIL. While searching the forum and YouTube for learning materials I found a video playlist on the National Shooting Sports Foundation titled "Long-Range Rifle Shooting with Ryan Cleckner."

I have watched about half the videos so far and am really impressed with the way he explains everything and talks about the subject material. I recently bought an MOA scope and have been learning how to understand MOA. His video was a great introduction to the subject and one I have since watched many times. The videos are older, but the content (to me) feels very relevant.

I am sure someone else has suggested his videos before, but on the off chance someone else new sees this and is looking for some good videos, I encourage you to check them out.

Thanks all!

Colton

I have, but to be honest haven’t had much time to read it. Between Covid and rioters been a little busy.
I hear you there. Work has been unique lately due to the circumstances our nation finds itself in these days.

MOA is determined by how many inches your POI is from POA dependent on how distant you are from your target.

MILs is whatever you see through your scope when you measure POI from POA.

MOA seems more comfortable to new users because it deals with measurements we are used to understanding.

Once you get over the idea of "measurement" MILs is much easier because it's exactly what your eyes are telling you.

Reactions: Arrowhedz
MOA is determined by how many inches your POI is from POA dependent on how distant you are from your target.

MILs is whatever you see through your scope when you measure POI from POA.

MOA seems more comfortable to new users because it deals with measurements we are used to understanding.

Once you get over the idea of "measurement" MILs is much easier because it's exactly what your eyes are telling you.

This is not accurate. Both MOA and milirands are angular measurements of a circle. I'd say once one understands it's all angles it becomes much easier. Stop thinking in inches at a specific distance or that MILS is metric and MOA is imperial. It's all about angles.

This is not accurate. Both MOA and milirands are angular measurements of a circle. I'd say once one understands it's all angles it becomes much easier. Stop thinking in inches at a specific distance or that MILS is metric and MOA is imperial. It's all about angles.

That's true. There is no metric or imperial.

It's a spherical pie delivered in whatever angular slice measurement you choose.

But.....

Without going into a big dissertation that's tough to get across in a tweet of 120 characters or less.

Last edited:
I recently read through that and am bummed I didn't see it before I ordered this scope in MOA. I think I would have gotten MIL instead, but either way I am looking forward to learning something new!
Moa scope is fine as long as it tracks well.

Reactions: Arrowhedz