• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Beginners Setup

DDuffeeInc

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2012
Hello all this is my first post so go easy on me here.

I am a beginner shooter with about 6 months experience with pistols and just a month with rifle. I did a little target shooting the other day and really enjoyed it. It was so relaxing and at the same time challenging. I want to go further.

I am looking at what would be a good starter setup. The one thing I want is 308 ammo because of the lower cost per round to shoot compared to the larger ammo. From what I hear the 308 is not large but does have enough power to make the target.

I want to start at 100 to 200 yards then step up from there. I guess the rifle and scope I am looking for would be for 200 to 500 yards.

I have looked at a Savage 10/110 FCP HS Precision in 308. The scope I looked at was a Leupold 3 4.5x14x50. I also have looked at a Tikka T3.

My budget can be anywhere from $1500 to $3000. What can you tell me about which direction I am looking. I do understand that a costly rifle does not make a sharp shooter but I would like to start with a good setup and hone my skills to meet the equipment.

Is there anything else I need to start looking at?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Beginners Setup

If you are just starting out as in the first month you have shot a rifle IMHO you should think about a decent .22 trainer. This will help you out with your basics, be super cheap to shoot, get you practice in areas that have limited distances, good .22 trainers will last a lifetime, they will almost always keep a great deal of their value if you do decide to sell it, and they are just plain old fun.

You are on the right track with a Savage. Get you a decent Savage in the 600-800 range and a scope in about the same. Get a good base and rings and work on the fundementals of marksmanship.

Getting a .22LR wasn't my first reaction to your post but it's actually pretty good advice. Many, if not most, of us here probably learned to shoot with a .22LR.

Regarding your first centerfire, a Savage or Remington will treat you right until your skill level and experience tells you need something more.