• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginning Load Development

Sugarbug

Sugarbug Don't Care
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Louisiana
Read a lot here suggesting developing all loads with the cartridge all the way forward. How do I go about ensuring this? About to start my first load development.

i.e. "slammed"

Keep track of your loads...

Write them down in a book or log them on your computer.

Start low and work your way up. I like to start with the books suggestion on OAL, run a ladder test(or whatever test you prefer).

Load 3-5 of each at the starting load. Bump the powder from .03-.05gr on each load after.

Which ever load is shooting the best, tweak the OAL and go from there.

Its not really that complicated, take you time and document as much as you can.

Oh, and enjoy

First start with a reloading manual for the type of bullet you plan on using. In the manual will be guidelines for min-max charge. Follow the manual and you won't have any problems.

It's considered normal to start your charges at about 10% less than max and work your way up to max charge 0.2 of a grain at a time....looking for pressure signs along the way.

I will typically shoot 3-shot groups initially until I find a charge that groups nicely, then I will go to 5-shot groups.

You can also search for OCW or Ladder tests to find accuracy nodes in your ammo.

Also if you want to develop subsonic loads the practice is to typically work down instead of up , measuring muzzle velocity to get under 1100 FPS (975-1085 tends to be a desirable performance range).

Also check for pressure signs along the way- same as thrusty recommends

How do I ensure I am all the way against the lands so I'm working at max pressure before I start coming off the lands?

How do I ensure I am all the way against the lands so I'm working at max pressure before I start coming off the lands?

I don't recommend you go that route....Start at the overall length that the reloading manual publishes. Don't try to go from total reloading newbie to advanced in one night.

I prefer to see how they shoot at the SAAMI spec and then increase the COL in 0.01" increments to see if the groups open or tighten up. You'll need a COL gauge to determine how close you can get to the lands. What rifle are you shooting? Factory Remington?

I don't recommend you go that route....Start at the overall length that the reloading manual publishes. Don't try to go from total reloading newbie to advanced in one night.

I prefer to see how they shoot at the SAAMI spec and then increase the COL in 0.01" increments to see if the groups open or tighten up. You'll need a COL gauge to determine how close you can get to the lands. What rifle are you shooting? Factory Remington?

It's an AR with a 223 Wylde 24" Krieger Heavy Varmatch barrel (headspaced by Krieger for my bolt).

More info in the 600y AR thread I have in the semi-auto section.

Using 80gr AMax, Lapua Brass, and Winchester 748 (or Varget if I can find).

Last edited:
Might help if you list the rifle and the caliber.

What bullet and powders you have available.

You can do a lot of searching on OCW/ladder tests but you just need to get out there and just do it.

SAFETY is the most important part in reloading, don't over look anything!

Like previously stated, get a good book. Worry about shooting off the lands later

Might help if you list the rifle and the caliber.

What bullet and powders you have available.

You can do a lot of searching on OCW/ladder tests but you just need to get out there and just do it.

SAFETY is the most important part in reloading, don't over look anything!

Like previously stated, get a good book. Worry about shooting off the lands later

223 Wylde

I have the Lyman and the Sierra books.

The OCW method really works well. Once your charge weight is found you can try different seating depths. Like has been said, get a gauge to find out where your rifle's lands are. Lots of good info to be found in the stickys up top.

OFG

I'm new myself but see conflicting information all over the place be it a thread, a set of threads on this forum, on other forums or articles or even in some manuals. What I interprete the OP as asking leads me to ask this; is it not more safe to start a load with the bullet into the lands in order to find the max load for that particular rifle before making further adjustments?

Finding max load at manual recommended COAL which isn't into the lands and then adjusting seating depth into the lands at a later date with the same powder load could/would create a pressure spike that was not originally accounted for with the previous max load, correct?

It's an AR with a 223 Wylde 24" Krieger Heavy Varmatch barrel (headspaced by Krieger for my bolt).

More info in the 600y AR thread I have in the semi-auto section.

Load to mag length forget the lands on a AR.

Again, I'm new to this but my old GAP-10 would be into the lands with just 175gr FGMM. I found out by dumping powder into the chamber on more than 1 occasion.

I will be shooting at 600y and would like to not limit myself to mag length. Plan on embarrassing my self in some f t/r matches.