• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Beginning the Scope Shopping Process

JHutch808

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2019
Camas, Washington
I have two rifles that I will be purchasing scopes for. One is a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby Mag and will only be used for hunting larger game from time to time. The other is a Savage 30-06 with a newly installed fully aluminum bedded stock and will soon have a new match grade barrel installed. It will be used both for bench target shooting and hunting of deer and smaller game. Both currently wear Leupold scopes, one with the VX-2 3x9 and the other with a much older Vari-X 2 3x9 (don't ask, I live near Leupold). Anyway, I love my Vortex Viper HD Binos and I just got approved as LE and apparently now get significant discounts from Vortex, Burris, Steiner, Bushnell and Weaver. Looking to keep things around $1K or under on the 30-06 and probably a bit less on the .300 Wby. Looking for recommendations as most of the sporting goods stores around here are all about the Leupolds over all others. Thank you.

With some of the discounts I get, I may consider scopes up to a $1400 msrp as the discounts could bring it under $1k as well. I will read up on the better Bushnell scopes. I've only really looked at the lower models years back.

Another vote for the Forge. I've got the 3-18 on my 22 trainer, and so far I have been impressed. If one of the discounts you're referring to is through Expert Voice, I can PM you a couple other suggestions.

Reactions: JHutch808
1000 dollar,I will try brownells. At least they have guarantee if you dislike it.;)

Can you tell us what magnification you would like on the high end and low end?

Would you like first focal plane or second?

What is the max weight you would consider?

Would you like a parallax adjustment.

Zero Stop?

Certainly and I apologize for not including those. As they will be used for hunting, I'm going to say no higher than 4.5 on the low end and at least 12+ or more on the higher. FFP on the 30-06 & either on the .300 Wby. On the .300 I would most likely only use hold overs at full magnification. Zero stop on the FFP would be good and parallax adjustment on both. Not super worried about weight, but would like to keep it under 2lbs.

I have four Vortex Viper PST scopes, and I love them. You can get a Gen 1 PST 4-16x50 for about about $500 right now from Euro Optics, and a Gen 2 3-15x44 or 5-25x50 for under $1,000. If your discount is significant enough I would go with the Gen 2 as the enhancements are worth it IMO.

You may also want to look at the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50. This scope has been around for a while, so it is not on any latest and greatest list, but it is tried and true. I have a couple of buddies that love them.

I just put in and was approved for Leopold's as well and you're correct. Now I have more to reevaluate.

If you qualify for the Leupold VIP program, you almost certainly qualify for ExpertVoice. If so, you need to look at the prices on the Bushnell Elite Tactical line on EV.

I just put in and was approved for Leopold's as well and you're correct. Now I have more to reevaluate.

Awesome brother! That’s great. I have a Mark 5 HD coming thanks to that VIP program. The mil discounts that these companies give are wonderful and, for me, give me access to options I wouldn’t be able to consider otherwise. I’d advise signing up with ExportVoice and contacting Nightforce as well (Nightforce just requires an email from your mil account).

Check out Vortex PST II 3-15x44. If you would rather have a 50mm objective then check out the Tract Toric 4-20x50. The Vortex is going to be lighter than the Toric if that makes a difference and the Vortex also has a tree reticle whereas the Toric is standard .5 mil hash reticle. With LE discounts both scopes will be under $1k for you. There are also some crazy deals on the Burris XTR II 4-20x50 which is another great scope if you like the reticles.

With your discount, I would seriously consider sticking with maybe the Mark 5 since you are already familiar with the Leupold products, I also have to recommend the Vortex products if you are looking for something with well thought out features at a good price point. The PST Gen 2 3-15 fits right into that magnification range you were looking at. Another option would be a used Razor. Just some food for thought.

Just spent a good chunk of today at the Pacific Northwest Sportsman's Show looking through a number these different scopes. That along with the recommendations here gives me a lot of food for thought.

sightron i have one and its nice not the greatest nor the worst and sightmark no idea on them have never seen through the glass have models in the 1k range. vortex is nice again not the best thing I've seen the garentee is pretty sweet , I went online and felt swamped by top 10 list with names of different companies , and youtube and the video's mostly good at least to see the scope , horrable when looking through a camra through the scope but at least names of some other optics companies, i would not have thought of or known about other wise. I love choices , and having lots of choices in my mind is a good thing.
delta if you can find one not sure if they have a 1k version they may.