• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Behold the MK1MOD3 UIMPSFBP, G2G

ewoaf

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2009
    Albemarle VA
    beaurobbins.com
    Alright fellow gear queers, I present to you my freshly developed MK1-MOD3 tactical pants.

So I was walking through walmart one day and found in the fabric section a wide selection of camo patterned fabrics. I was actually impressed. I saw German flectarn, a few contemporary digitals that looked good for the area, a couple classic US mil patterns, and all could be had for $2 /yard. So, I'd been wanting to get some pants for running around chasing coyotes, shooting, and other w/e activities. I'd also wanted some casual pants for CCW, ya know, with the little pistol mag pockets too. Disgusted with the pricing of said pants I decided to make my own once I saw the camo patterns that walmart had to offer. I bought 4 yards each of 4 different patterns. This would yield me more than enough for 8 pair of pants.
    2j1x4pz.jpg

So I'd really never seen the two digital patterns before, and am excited about having something unique. I guess that the bright digital with the redish brn on the right is called "Mountain Stalker" and I think the other one is called "Digital Urban", Just looks like a dark desert marpat to me. Then there is the classic 3 color desert and a solid in taupe. 2 pairs of each color is the plan. I also picked up several notions to help the project along. Anyone can do this with a good machine, a little sewing skill (or handy ol lady), and time. The pattern can be had at walmart. It is a Simplicity #4760. This would be a good pattern to start with making clothes for CCW, as it provides a pattern for shirts and pants. You'll just have to alter the pattern to make things "tacticool" however you want. But anyways, I took the "C" pattern and just reinforced the knees, ass, and added a pocket. Other than that, It's pretty much the same.
    11qtt0o.jpg

2emopc5.jpg

2qu886w.jpg

e16r93.jpg

So getting down to brass tacs, all I have to say is ...
    qsmtz7.jpg

1. this pattern seems to run way large. I'm 5'-10" and about 145 lbs. I wear 29x36 wranglers and had to cut this pattern small width wise, but XL length wise. YMMV...A little common sense and creativity goes a long way if you're inexperienced at sewing craft.

2. If you should choose to reinforce things, they can get a little thick, especially with BDU like material. Make sure you have extra needles on hand for when you break them.

3. for closures on the fly or pockets, anything can be used. The pattern calls for 9" zipper for the adult sized pants. I used a 7" for the adult small and it worked. I also have some 1" velcro that I used on the wallet pocket, but plan on using it for a fly closure on the next pair. A button could be used on the fly or even a snap....

4. I found an awesome thread at walmart as well. It's a Coates and Clark Upholstery thread. 100% nylon. It's strong shit and slides through the machine well. I'm using about a spool and a half per pair with double stitched seams. Anything like this in the color of your choice will work perfect.

5. you will see chalk marks on my pants because I haven't washed them yet. I use chalk to make marks and cut out my pattern. When I'm done I just throw them in the wash and all the chalk marks are gone.

Re: Behold the MK1MOD3 UIMPSFBP, G2G

Awesome... maybe ill make my own bases for ghillies now...