• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Being stupidly sloppy with Kroil....

SoundFx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
NV
Hey Good People,

Here's my experience.... Many weeks ago I used a very liberal amount of Kroil while cleaning the bore of my AIAW. Some of the penetrating oil leaked into the stock / chassis area, because I was fairly messy while cleaning the barrel.

The PROBLEM didn't happen overnight, but it DID happen. The next time I took the rifle out of the safe to shoot (maybe ten days later), there was some greenish gunky mess oozing out of the rear of the receiver, just below where the bolt rests while closed. As if the bedding stuff was being dissolved by a chemical reaction. Looked to my inexperienced eye as being some sort of bedding or glue residue that was chemically acted-upon by the Kroil.

Thus far I'm thinking that it was caused by the Kroil eating away at whatever AI uses as bedding epoxy / glue. So, the moral is, be careful with the Kroil.

Anybody have some further insight? I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Sfx

Re: Being stupidly sloppy with Kroil....

I can't claim to be an expert. Damage to the bedding could be the case. Pull your rifle out of the stock, clean things up and inspect it. After everything is dried out put it back toether with appropiate specs and test fire a few rounds. If everything is ok or at least acceptable then you are good to go. If your groups are wide open (I doubt but possable.) recheck you put everything together right. There is a SMALL possibility you may need a rebed job. What you need to do is get a bore guide for cleaning so that does not happen again.

I have used Kroil once to clean my barrel. It took me over 20 rounds to get the barrel fouled back in, and things were still acting weird with the rounds. I won't use it again for any gun related cleaning. I may be wrong, but the AI does not have your typical bedding. It is a chassis system that mounts into the stock. So, that may be the paint and/or plastic stuff coming out. Kroil is a penetrating oil and will get everywhere. So use it sparingly.

Kroil does flow easily, a little dab will do yah thats for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoundFx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Good People,

Here's my experience.... Many weeks ago I used a very liberal amount of Kroil while cleaning the bore of my AIAW. Some of the penetrating oil leaked into the stock / chassis area, because I was fairly messy while cleaning the barrel.

The PROBLEM didn't happen overnight, but it DID happen. The next time I took the rifle out of the safe to shoot (maybe ten days later), there was some greenish gunky mess oozing out of the rear of the receiver, just below where the bolt rests while closed. As if the bedding stuff was being dissolved by a chemical reaction. Looked to my inexperienced eye as being some sort of bedding or glue residue that was chemically acted-upon by the Kroil.

Thus far I'm thinking that it was caused by the Kroil eating away at whatever AI uses as bedding epoxy / glue. So, the moral is, be careful with the Kroil.

Anybody have some further insight? I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Sfx</div></div>

if you BUY me a 1st class ticket to LA ....i'll give you 100.00 for the gun

Chad said what I was going to ask. AI uses aluminum bedding chassis system and should not have bedded your stock. Removing the barrel/action out of stock and inspect is what I will do, and I would want to make sure to clean any extra kroil anyways.

Just my $0.02
smile.gif

The OP stated that he had an AIAW.The AIAW has a flat bottom action that is permanently bonded and bolted to the chassis with 4 screws. The AIAW doesn't sit in the chassis the same way a Rem 700 sits in the AICS.The Kroil may have softened the bonding agent or even the stock sides underneath.

I have some good buys on stocks. Bench shooters have known for a long time NEVER get Kroil on a stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
if you BUY me a 1st class ticket to LA ....i'll give you 100.00 for the gun </div></div>

You got a deal. Only one minor stipulation though..... When you're here you have to sit with me and watch Twilight 3 over and over again while I work on it. 12 hours of non-stop Twilight (no cheating, you have to sit and <span style="font-style: italic">watch</span>) gets you the ticket and the gun. Within 2 hours I'm guessing that you'll be begging me to be released from our little agreement, offering me all your worldly possessions to be able to leave. Two hours being really generous, as the real time would probably be less. No way any sane male human could make it through all twelve.

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Kroil may have softened the bonding agent or even the stock sides underneath. </div></div>

This is my fear. It seems ok now, but I thought I'd issue another warning for those that might not know.

What's a little odd was the the stuff oozing out looked to be slightly fibrous. It was green, and there was a very slight texture to it. Didn't seem like what I would expect melting epoxy to look like. Chemically, I wouldn't guess that expoxy would be able to be melted away by something like Kroil, so it may be something else that AI uses just in this particular area. Hmmmmm.

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

I must of got a strong batch of Kroil, Because I got some on my HS M24 stock and I noticed some black rubbed of the stock onto my cleaning cloth. WTF, Now in the area where it was spilled on the stock feels soft!?
BTW this is my first post on this forum, I'm from Calguns

I use Kroil for general cleaning, even on bedded rifles, and I did not notice anything melting.
Are you sure it is not some sort of grease? Because, that would be dissolved by it.

I've used it cleaning barrels for years, works great.

Same with stock M1A trigger assemblies, toss one in kroil. The pull is 100% more smooth.

Never had a problem getting Kroil on a McMillan stock and Marine-Tex or Devcon bedding.

Are you sure it is the epoxy bonding between the receiver and the chassis?

Kroil will also gum up your trigger assembly if oiled and put up for awhile. ( 1 year + )

Just took the plastic skins off to see what the deal was, and sure enough, looks like the Kroil has slightly eaten away at the adhesive AI used to bond the action to the chassis. In the area where I allowed the Kroil to get on it (the tiny channel of adhesive between the action and chassis), I can scratch the surface of the adhesive with my fingernail and scratch it somewhat. On the untouched areas, I cannot. I highly doubt I did any real damage, because so much of the adhesive seems just fine, but I don't know if that would be the case if I just kept spilling the Kroil on it. Anyway, live and learn.

Don't be like me. Be careful with the Kroil!