• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Belgium Browning BAR 30-06…What glass?

rgrmike

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Looking for suggestions/opinions on scoping my Belgium Browning BAR 30-06 grade II. I'm thinking about an NF NXS 2.5-10x32 MIL/MIL. I'm not exactly sure how it will mount though. It currently has Weaver bases but I was wondering if I can switch them to a picitanny style base? Considering a Bushy LRHS as well or possibly something simpler as I don't plan on shooting this rifle past 300yds. I was thinking I could utilize a NF with their velocity reticle or just go with a duplex and do a 200yd zero. This rifle will be used on deer mostly. Opinions/suggestions appreciated. Budget is $1000ish. Thanks!

The Bushnell LRHS and the NF 2-10x would be great scopes also.

Here are a few more I can recommend.

NightForce C522 SHV 4-14x56 - .25MOA - MOAR
cstactical
nightforce-shv-scope.jpg

Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 BRH
cstactical
swarovski_z3_3_1_4d55c17014829%20copy.jpg

Kahels Hunting line are very nice also.
cstactical
kahles%20105047.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

For hunting, I would stick with a simple 4 X for a classic BAR.
It fits the gun and adds a minimal amount of weight.

How accurate is the gun off of a rest??
Does the accuracy and POU merit an expensive optic??

I'm with hermosabeach... A simple 4x is perfect for this rifle. If you have a burning desire for more magnification I wouldn't do anything more sophisticated than a 3-9 VXII Lupy or similar. Keep the Weaver bases. All you're going to do with the picatinny is raise the scope off the receiver and make it harder to get a consistent cheek weld. Then what? Stock pack? It's not like you need the benefit of 20 MOA bases.

4X is not enough.

This is a Minute Of Deer rifle, go SFP, illuminated (I've shot most of my deer at dusk), 2-10X or a 1-8X at least.

I had a Belgian grade II in 30-06, killed many FL deer. The 1 hunting rifle I am sorry I sold.

For me, most shots were less than 400 steps, the BAR was perfect. Still kicking my ass…

My best FL buck was killed at about 35 yards. My longest FL buck was 500 steps, stood on a little pile of dirt, sideways.

Congrats on the Belgian BAR. It's that smell, only Belgian Brownings have it.

Last edited:
The Bushnell LRHS and the NF 2-10x would be great scopes also.

Here are a few more I can recommend.

NightForce C522 SHV 4-14x56 - .25MOA - MOAR
cstactical
nightforce-shv-scope.jpg

Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 BRH
cstactical
swarovski_z3_3_1_4d55c17014829%20copy.jpg

Kahels Hunting line are very nice also.
cstactical
kahles%20105047.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Mike,
Thanks for the input. I'll check out the Swaro and Kahles. I would love to get a Swaro with their BDC knobs. I like exposed turrets given the choice. NF lost me on their SHV. They only offer moa turrets and I'm trying to get away from those on all my rifles. I know it really doesn't matter for this rifles purpose but I'm just trying to standardize if I can. I should probably just get something with capped turrets, do a 200yd zero and be done.

For hunting, I would stick with a simple 4 X for a classic BAR.
It fits the gun and adds a minimal amount of weight.

How accurate is the gun off of a rest??
Does the accuracy and POU merit an expensive optic??

I got this rifle from my father and he's used it to harvest several deer over the years. I've never shot it off a rest but I'm hoping it'll be around 1.5MOA @100. To be honest even if it's 2MOA I'll be satisfied as long as I can maintain 2MOA out to 3-400yds. I'm currently out of town for a few months so I won't be able to test her out until I get back.

I'm to the point where I don't mind spending a little money on glass. For me if the rifle is worth having it deserves some decent glass. I'm done buying made in China products if it can be avoided. I wouldn't mind doing a fixed 6x or 8x but I think I'd like to have a little more than 4x. I know 4x will get it done just fine but I like having a little extra power sometimes.

Belgium Browning BAR 30-06…What glass?

I have a 30-06 Bar safari grade II...with a 2nd hand Kahles 3x10x50 on it. I think it's a very good match.

You'll be hard pressed to match or beat that Kahles for the money (IMHO). Going rate for that particular scope is @$700-$800 here in southeast US if you're ok with a used one.

I have a 30-06 Bar safari grade II...with a 2nd hand Kahles 3x10x50 on it. I think it's a very good match.

You'll be hard pressed to match or beat that Kahles for the money (IMHO). Going rate for that particular scope is @$700-$800 here in southeast US if you're ok with a used one.

I would love to find some nice used glass. I check the optics section nearly daily so hopefully something will come up. Was there any issues with the 50mm objective? Did you run the Weaver style base? What rings?

... I don't plan on shooting this rifle past 300yds.... Budget is $1000ish.

I see no need for target turrets, high magnification or the weight that comes with those things. A Swaro Z3 3-9x36 or Z3 3-10x42 would be perfect. I'd probably put a Swaro Z6i 1-6x24 on it, but that's above your budget.

Keep the Weaver bases. If you get the Z3, it's got a 1" tube, so you could probably use the existing rings, assuming you have them. If not, there's plenty of 1" rings for Weaver bases.

BTW - I love the older Belgium Bars. My dad's got a Belgium 30-06, and that is, in my opinion, one of the all-time classic hunting rifles.

Last edited:
I see no need for target turrets, high magnification or the weight that comes with those things. A Swaro Z3 3-9x36 or Z3 3-10x42 would be perfect. I'd probably put a Swaro Z6i 1-6x24 on it, but that's above your budget.

I would love to have a Swaro Z6I 1-6 but it's more than I'm willing to spend for an optic that will only get used a couple times a year.