• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Believe the Rifle?

Starbelly

Private
Minuteman
So I just got back from the range and I'm pretty happy with my performance, but also a little puzzled. I had been working on my position at home, getting straight back, and wanted to try it at the range. I was shooting just a tad under 200yds today. When I felt like I was straight back, my accuracy was good but the rifle was still moving a little to the left(I'm a lefty). I switched over to some steel I beam hanging targets to really focus on recoil control and noticed that if I was canted ever so slightly to my weak side, the rifle recoiled perfectly straight. And I mean perfect, I could see little paint and steel flecks coming off the target (the 308 turns the I beam into swiss cheese) I finally got the feel, and understand what people talking about when they use the term "driving the rifle"

The problem is that now I wonder if I was just over correcting somewhere in my position to counter the subtle cant to my weak side, although I'm only talking a few degrees. It did feel as if I was settling in to my NPA when I am 2-3 degrees canted verus absolutely straight. And once I got the "feel" down, I also realized I could control the recoil from other positions as well and it was the "feel" and not the position that was finally making a difference. So should I worry about being absolutely straight, or should I just believe the rifle?

Re: Believe the Rifle?

Simple mechanics here. You are still somewhat in the vertical plane rotating the vertical axis one hour to the right in that the rifle bore rides above the center line of the total mass of the rifle; also you are coupling said mass to a bigger mass, you.

The rifle is still recoiling at 11 o'clock relative to its mass and its coupled mass due to a combination of accelerating the bullet/powder along with the twist imposed on the bullet by the rifling; you just rotated the clock 1 hour to the right.

Re: Believe the Rifle?

The position needs to be consistent to hold a zero. Proper adjustment of NPA helps the position to be muscularly relaxed, which better assures bone and artificial support will be effective. The shooter must make the rifle fit the position, or the rifle must be made to fit the shooter for the best results. The OP's problem here it appears is not so much about coming to an understanding of how to build a proper position as it is making the position proper with a firearm which may not fit. The remedy is a 3 way adjustable butt, or simply do the best with what you've got and accept any consequence. I think, however, unless the shooter or rifle is outside of what constitutes average, a shooter can adapt to most any rifle out there through experimentation with technique.