• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bell and Carlson stock bedding question

SCHunter93

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2023
South Carolina
Question:

I just got a bell and Carlson stock for my R700.

It has an aluminum bedding block and the recoil lug fits pretty snugly against the bedding block. Is it still worth it to bed it?

My understanding is that the purpose of bedding the recoil lug is to ensure contact between the rear of the recoil lug and the stock. The barrel is already free floating.

It won’t hurt. Can’t say if you can improve or not without shooting before and after.
Try it as is and see if you’re satisfied.

Reactions: diggler1833
It won’t hurt. Can’t say if you can improve or not without shooting before and after.
Try it as is and see if you’re satisfied.
Before I do anything I have to wait for the bottom metal to come in from PTG. I think I will test it before bedding and then after bedding and post the results here.

The only time skim bedding a stock like that isn't worth it, is if you get bedding material in places it shouldn't be, or the prep work is garbage and you glue half of your bedding to your action and half to your stock.

I've skim bedded every aluminum block stock I've ever owned (most being 15-20 years ago).

I can't say that it actually helped anything regarding accuracy with one exception though, because I almost never shot the rifles before bedding. I just considered it part of the initial prep work.

I will say though that with bedding, trigger work, and a good handload that accuracy was pretty amazing for a factory tube.

The only time skim bedding a stock like that isn't worth it, is if you get bedding material in places it shouldn't be, or the prep work is garbage and you glue half of your bedding to your action and half to your stock.

I've skim bedded every aluminum block stock I've ever owned (most being 15-20 years ago).

I can't say that it actually helped anything regarding accuracy with one exception though, because I almost never shot the rifles before bedding. I just considered it part of the initial prep work.

I will say though that with bedding, trigger work, and a good handload that accuracy was pretty amazing for a factory tube.
Thanks for the insight.

I know that it’s the standard thing to do, and bedding compound isn’t all that expensive, so why not go ahead and do it. I am interested in seeing how much of a difference it makes.

I used to bed all my Remington 700s before I shot them . I have 6 of them with B and C and HS Precision stocks w/ aluminum blocks . All were bedded to a specific action . I decided to do some stock swapping so i removed bedding from bottom/sides/front of lug so the actions all dropped right in and could be rotated a bit. I see little to no difference . All rifles have good triggers and glass and fully tested loads out to 300 yards . I am not sure of lack of bedding makes a difference at distance though . That being said, as soon as this stock swap thing is over they will all be redone .