• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bell and Carlson stock for Weatherby Vanguard

txsigus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Temple, TX
Hey guys my name is Charlie, new guy, first post actually and just wanted to ask you guys opinion. I have a Weatherby Vanguard .308 (with Howa action) and varmint barrel that will shoot 2" groups or under everytime I pull it out. In fact my only complaint about the rifle is the cheap plastic stock that Weatherby chose to put on it. I know 2" groups is pretty good but I am worried about the stock flexing and am wondering if I should purchase a new stock for it just to keep it doing what I want it to, and hopefully suck those groups in. I am looking at a Bell and Carlson. Or do you think that I am wasting my $ and that the stock will not do that much for me concerning the flex and group size.

Have great day and Thanks

Charlie

Re: Bell and Carlson stock for Weatherby Vanguard

I have one on my Howa hunting rifle, and it's great stock for a hunting purposes. I wouldn't put one on a target/tactical use rifle. You would be money ahead saving up for a Manners or McMillan. I would invest in a trigger job and reloading equipment to shring those 2" groups. Howa's are great rifles, so don't be afraid to spend the money on quality components.

Thanks Blue. Ya It has a trigger job done to it already.

Welcome to the "Hide". Im fairly new myself and mostly a lurker, looking and learning.

If your on a budget and dont have money to waste.....just hang around and read all these post for a few months or even a year. You will be supprised at the information here on the "Hide"

I traded for a B&C stock before I learned that they are near the bottom of the stock food chain according to the long range McMill/AICS train. As soon as I trade for a gun to go in it, I'll find out how good or bad it really is.

Two words of warning...... sometimes its better to just keep on reading and researching before throwing down some money. And be careful when speaking of group sizes....some folks get real nit-picky and anal about what a group is.
eek.gif

I also use the medalist stock on all of my Howas.I'm sure most will agree b&c stocks are a good stocks for the money You can also custom shape them if they are too bulky for your taste. I doubt that is all your problem though. I have seen pencil barreled howas shooting russian surplus that grouped that good or better. be sure to double check your optic mounts. it's not un reasonable to expect 1.25 moa out of that gun with the right load

#6560 Beavertail Forend, Strait comb
#2998 Varmint Bench Stock
#6550 Same as #6560 but with Monte Carlo Buttstock
#6655 Fluted beavertail forend, Monte Carlo Buttstock
(All Medalist Stocks)

#6560 is my pick out of the offerings.

***Note, due to the design spot bedding the front lug is highly suggested as there are variations in lug drop on the Howa/Vanguard line of actions.