• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bell and Carlson Stock Repair

GSF777

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2023
Illinois
I just have a question about what would be the best method to filling in a hole/ bolt slot on a Bell and Carlson Mauser stock. I got a stock for a Mauser but the bolt angle didn’t fit the cut out (I think the bolt was modified). I really like the new angle on the bolt but keeping the bolt as is leaves a gap where the bolt was supposed to sit. I was looking up ways to fill this in and I’ve read that some people like JB weld. I have never used JB weld before I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or insights from their experience.
As a side note, I am also planning on painting the rifle. If that changes anything.
Thank you guys! I appreciate it.

If you're gonna repaint the stock, then I'd fill in the original bolt notch with firberglass resin with fiberglass cloth added to the resin. 24hrs to cure, sand it down smooth and recut the bolt notch to fit your new handle.

Here is something similar. I filled in the bolt notch on a LH HS Precision stock and recut a right hand bolt notch and loading port.

HS LeftHand 02.jpg
HS LeftHand 01.jpg

I used JB Weld fuel tank repair putty when I converted my stock to left hand on one and recut the bolt handle area on another.