• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bell and Carlson VS HS Precision

Re: Bell and Carlson VS HS Precision

Get behind both... and others if possible. One will be "Just Right"!
grin.gif

I'll bite

B&C

I haven't shot with a B&C yet, but I've handled them and I prefer the B&C. I doubt my opinion will change when my backordered B&C finally comes in.

If those are the two choices, I would take the HS everytime. Luckily, there are better alternatives out there.

BC, construction is almost the same and the fit and finish on the BC was better on recent stocks I have handled. Very tough to beat the Light tactical until you start talking Mcmillan or Manners with almost triple the price.

I prefer the B&C. I like the fit and just feel of the B&C. As others have said, they are a fairly similar construction, only the B&C are like half the price. After HS Precision pulled their little publicity stunt, it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think B&C gets less credit than they deserve!

Price is great for the quality you get, and you dont have to wait 6 months to get it!

ok, i might just be out of the loop. what kind of publicity stunt did HS pull?

well he sure has a colorful background, now doesnt he? makes me think twice about buying another HS-Precision stock. and ill be honest, i didnt even know that HS had rifles and pistols and a whole bunch of other stuff. i bought mine about a year(maybe more) ago. dont think ill buy another. might just save for a mcmillan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat088</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After HS Precision pulled their little publicity stunt, it just left a bad taste in my mouth. </div></div>

so using the endorsement of the fbi program manager in charge of selecting the fbi's new rifle contract is a publicity stunt? if you were a rifle manufacture, you wouldn't advertise that the fbi selected your rifle over others? do you think if another manufacture was selected, they wouldn't have used the endorsement?

show me where hsp has endorsed what lon horiuchi has done or where they have him on payrol and i'll agree with you to hate them. until then, i think you are unjustly bashing an american company. anyone that says they wont buy from hsp because of that letter need to actually read it, not just the name at the bottom.

Sorry for hijacking, but does anyone know if any of the B&C stocks will fit Tikka T3s? I can't seem to find it on their site. Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with that letter. Why shouldn't they tout their successes? It's a great reference for the company and if it true and helps them sell product, good for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing wrong with that letter. Why shouldn't they tout their successes? It's a great reference for the company and if it true and helps them sell product, good for them. </div></div>

Umm... did you bother to learn who good ole' Lon is and what he is renown for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing wrong with that letter. Why shouldn't they tout their successes? It's a great reference for the company and if it true and helps them sell product, good for them. </div></div>

Umm... did you bother to learn who good ole' Lon is and what he is renown for? </div></div>

and he also happened to be the program manager in charge of selecting the fbi's rifles. hsp happened to be the manufacture chosen. does that make them bad guys because they were proud that a large government agency selected them? because hsp used the endorsement from the fbi program manager that selected them, they should be considered the devil? can you show me where hsp endorsed horiuchi or what he has done? give me a break.

and yes, i know who horiuchi is and think he is a piece of shit.

I do, but like 300 said, he was the PM representing a well known and respected agency. There is a reason they put his job title on the letter and not just his name. Getting a contract and reference like that is a significant accomplishment. Kinda like getting an award from the pres. You may not like the man, but that doesn't diminish what you did to get it and the weight it carries.

HS PRECISION FOR SURE!!! I do not own one of the new style tacticl BC stocks. But I do have a BC synthetic stock inletted for a Mauser 98 that is a true piece of crap. It is split in three places under the action, and it has seen NO abuse. I have a few HS stocks and they are all great(especially for the money).

i went wth an A1 style B&c after i had a Pss stock i didnt care for the massive palm swell

i rather enjoy the massive palm swell, lets me know im holding something. rather than the stock that came on it, piece of shit.

I would take an HS for a centerfire rifle but a B&C for rimfire. Have an HS on my 700 and a B&C on my 10/22.

FWIW,
The only bad input I have ever heard from HS is their DBM. NOT touting either as I have both. If truth be known, I pick either as I am tired of the 6-8 month wait on others. Just picked up a Robertson stock, seems well made so we can add it to the second choice slot behind Manners and McM. Seems well made. Flame suit on.

I like the feel of the HS stock on my 700P and it seems decent. One of the front sling swivel studs pulled out (which seems to be a common problem). The B&C stocks I've seen on Weatherbys have been nice and worked well. I have seen some older Carbelite (sp?) B&C stocks that left a bit to be desired but the newer aluminum bedding block stock look good. I'm about to buy a B&C for one of my rifles and the price and delivery time were the deciding factors.

I have never had an issue with HS, and Ive had a few on some VERY accurate rifles. If its good enough for an M24 its goo enough for me. Not that there is anything wrong with B&C I just prefer HS.

Mike

there both great stock manufactures but i prefer the HS its bad to the bone and if it is good enough for the m24 its good in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-SKIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If only the Light Tactical had a palm swell... </div></div>
Hmmm... as long as you're not looking for a really deep palm swell I'm sure you could use a good rasp and cut one in there. Then use some bedding compound/epoxy and do a texture job to cover it up (or you could just smooth the epoxy then sand for a smooth finish). I'm thinking about doing this very thing. I'd like just a little bit of a palm swell in it, but not as much as the others (and I didn't want that huge forend) so I got this one knowing that I may take a rasp to it.

I have owned 3 Remington 700 PSSs that all came with the H&S. I loved them all !! Excellent quality and a decent price. I did recently purchase a B&C Medallist and I have become a huge fan !! Not because it is any better than the H&S, just because of the feel of the vertical grip !! From what I can tell they are Very similar in quality and price (B&C being a little cheaper). If H&S made a more affordable vertical grip stock that is probably what I would have but until then I will stick with the B&C Medallist.

You cant go wrong with either, I think it just boils down to which is more comfortable for the shooter !

Have not had a chance to try the light tactical from B&C but very eager to try it. Would love to have one with Karsten cheek rest installed.

Have felt a HS stock that is on the old 700P rifles (sorry forgot if there was a model name for it from HS) and if there is one stock that just fits me in every way that would be it. Loved the palm swell on it.

HS for me until I can try the light tactical.

+2 for B&C Tactical medalist. I have owned 2 H&S and couldn't get a good sight picture out of them without a stock pad. I don't like the idea of having to add to a $300.00 stock to make it fit me

LongArm

+3 for the B&C stock. I have shot a few HS stocks on my dad's rifles, and I bought the B&C for my .223AI project on the recommendation of a few people. It's a great stock for the money and while I do like the palmswell of the HS stocks, overall I think the B&C feels better to hold.

I love my B&C Tac!!!!!! I like the way the HS adjust, but I just dont like the feel

I think B&C has came a long way in the last couple of years, they are really providing for the tactical "ish" market lately, a decent stock for a fair price.

Im looking at the B&C, A buddy has the HS and I dont like the palm swell on it, I shot his rifle ok I just didnt like that swell. Unfortunately I want to be able to get behind a B&C before I buy it and then learn that I didnt like it.

I now own a b&c and i love it. I did love the palm sweel of my hs but I like the butt hook and the stiffness of the b&c. Now if the two stocks would mate and i could get a lite tactical with a palm swell i would be in 7 heaven.

I never could get used to the palm swell on the HS,had a vertical grip that was better,but only $200 less than a McM A5,next build will be a 22/243 light varmint on a B&C,other than the palm swell I don't have any problems with the HS.