• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing bell & carlson stock

gknittel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi, I've the oportunity to get a b&c a5 stock... similar to the mcmillan a5. Anyone had the chance to use one of these stocks?
Any recomendations?
I intend to put a rem 700 on it.
Is it a good stock?
Thanks alot

Re: bell & carlson stock

I have sold them and have one sitting here. They are good for what they are and good for the money. The aluminum bedding block is nice.

But, it's not a McMillan or Manners, it were it would cost the same.

There's no comparison to a Mcmillan. Maaybe a Maners.
If you can afford it, save up a month and order a Micy A5 (from somewhere that wont force you to wait 5 months)

Get an A5, cry once, and be happy for years and years.

Onto the question you asked.... I've only felt one rifle with a B&C on it. I'd pay $200 for the one he had, but I'm sure it cost much more. The forend was so flimsy you could bump it and make it contact the barrel. NOT good for rough shooting off a pod.

Mcmillan and AICS, or nothing

the Bell and Carlson Remington 700 BDL Varmint/Tactical stock is an excellent, more timely and less expensive way to go than the McMillan line of stocks.

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_02_BIG-963x469.jpg

bc_2094r.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Bell and Carlson Remington 700 BDL Varmint/Tactical stock is an excellent, more timely and less expensive way to go than the McMillan line of stocks.

</div></div>

ranger1183 if you don't mind, how much work did you have to do to widen the barrel channel to fit the heavy barrel, if any? How did you go about doing it if needed? Thanks.

That is a very nice stock, and I'm not knocking them. But if you hold a Mcmillan in one hand, and a B&C in the other....

Maybe it's just me

PS, maybe it was just my buddies stock that felt the way it did, but I wasn't impressed at all.
Could have been their bottom of the line stock for all I know. But I don't think it was.

Thanks alot for your comments. Unfortunately I can't get a McMillan easily from my cuntry, but ocassionally there's a store that offers a b&c a5 and since I never heard any comments about it I wondered if it is worth it.
I will give it a try.

Thanks!!

I like the B&C madalist a lot

I had a badger M5 installed on it, rem 700 and it seems to be a perfect match.

yeah, you could spend a lot more money on another stock, and its your right to do so, but, for me I see no reason to.

I had one of those with a badger M5 installed. its a good stock once you skim bed your action to the stock and sand the paint away from the barrel channel. they are adjustable in every way you can think of, but with that comes its heafty weight. It weights as much (if not more) than the AICS my rifle is sitting in now.

By the time you spend $400+ on that stock, and a desent DBM ($300ish) you are already at the price of a AICS, So I sold that stock and got a AICS which fits me better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no comparison to a Mcmillan. Maaybe a Maners.

</div></div>

Keith have you had the chance to examine a Manners stock up close? In my opinion the Manners gives nothing away to the McMillan, they are both very high quality. Give Manner's a call, Tom Manners generally answers the phone himself and talk to him about what separates Manners from the pack. You'll be impressed I promise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no comparison to a Mcmillan. Maaybe a Maners.

</div></div>

Keith have you had the chance to examine a Manners stock up close? In my opinion the Manners gives nothing away to the McMillan, they are both very high quality. Give Manner's a call, Tom Manners generally answers the phone himself and talk to him about what separates Manners from the pack. You'll be impressed I promise.</div></div>

Keith will soon be putting his hands on my MCS-T w/ 90% carbon fill. I too have the opinion that Mcmillan is the best but chose Manners for this build to see. I held an MCS-T awhile back that felt too light and hollow in the butt end of the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no comparison to a Mcmillan. Maaybe a Maners.

</div></div>

Keith have you had the chance to examine a Manners stock up close? In my opinion the Manners gives nothing away to the McMillan, they are both very high quality. Give Manner's a call, Tom Manners generally answers the phone himself and talk to him about what separates Manners from the pack. You'll be impressed I promise.</div></div>

Keith will soon be putting his hands on my MCS-T w/ 90% carbon fill. I too have the opinion that Mcmillan is the best but chose Manners for this build to see. I held an MCS-T awhile back that felt too light and hollow in the butt end of the stock. </div></div>

Ask for a heavier fill... It's a custom stock...just like a Mcmillan...

Like I said, a Maners IMO is the only stock that could compare to a Micy.
The post was started to ask about B&C. I said that I'd personally save up and get a Micy or Maners. For something youll have for 5 years.... whats $200 extra bucks? 25 cents a day?

Again, spend the money, cry once, and be happy forever.

And the excuse on wait time doesn't apply as much anymore because there are several companies now that keep Mcmillans in stock.

I'm not putting any stock company down. I'm just giving Mcmillan the credit it deserves. And it deserves to stand alone at the top.

And the reason I didn't mention AI above is because I feel they are purpose built. Like their AW rifles. They're a different class in my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Bell and Carlson Remington 700 BDL Varmint/Tactical stock is an excellent, more timely and less expensive way to go than the McMillan line of stocks.

</div></div>

ranger1183 if you don't mind, how much work did you have to do to widen the barrel channel to fit the heavy barrel, if any? How did you go about doing it if needed? Thanks. </div></div>

This rifle was custom made by Jense Precision. KK Jense is an expert gunsmith and builds custom rifles (only). He's the guy to ask about what modification, if any, were done to the stock.

http://jenseprecision.com/

I have an Bell and Carlson Remington 700 BDL Varmint/Tactical stock with a Remington action on it. It is not a McMillan, but I am not embarrassed to show up with it and it hasn't let me down. I think that you need to bed or skim bed the stock as they always seem to ride the action on the stock metal bearing block on two narrow strips 1/8-inch either side of the action screws if not bedded.

The stock's gripability (made that up) certainly is not the equal of the McMillan, but it is alright. The stock is also more prone to aesthetic dings and scrapes.

I would buy another Varmint/Tactical stock for its adjustability if I were fund or availability limited.

i have a rem 700 sps tactical dropped in a b & c a5 medalist and i love it. its a little on the heavy side, but its well built,comfortable to shoot, and looks really sharp....and you can actually get them once in awhile when you order one instead of the months of waiting for its McMillan equivalent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">......................
Onto the question you asked.... I've only felt one rifle with a B&C on it. I'd pay $200 for the one he had, but I'm sure it cost much more. The forend was so flimsy you could bump it and make it contact the barrel. NOT good for rough shooting off a pod.
</div></div>
The stock you handled was probably from B&C's Dura-maxx line of injection molded plastic stocks.
I had one that I never used and wound up selling for that very reason. They may be fine for some people, but not me. These usaully go for about $100.00 new.

The Medalist line with the aluminum core running from the grip all the way to the tip will not flex like that. I am not comparing it to a McMilan or Manners, but for the $200.00 or so it costs for the non-adjustable model, it is a good stock. I have beat mine up alot and it still works well. The adjustable model pictured above has a higher price.

I think the light tactial is a great stock as well. Frankly Im suprised they can get it out the door at $200 and consider it a great buy. I have a Mcmillan A2 and like it but I dont see the $300 difference.

If Im jumping out of planes I might feel differnet but for 99% of us it will be just fine.

I have an Rem 700 LTR sittin in a B&C medalist. It's been bedded and no complaints on durability or accuracy. My only complaint, which is personal preference, is the very wide square foregrip. Not a big fan of that, but like I said, that's my opinion.

the barrel channel is fairly easy to open up i use a milling machine and a ball endmill to open up barrel channels
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Bell and Carlson Remington 700 BDL Varmint/Tactical stock is an excellent, more timely and less expensive way to go than the McMillan line of stocks.

</div></div>

ranger1183 if you don't mind, how much work did you have to do to widen the barrel channel to fit the heavy barrel, if any? How did you go about doing it if needed? Thanks. </div></div>

I used one of the B&Cs on my little 223 savage. I paid $150, had to do some sanding on the barrel channel and trigger area. It sands easy as it is really full of air and light.
I did notice some flex and removed the action for more sanding.
It's a decent affordable stock, not a McMillan. It works good for hiking and killing critters, but don't expect to be able to really beat it up.

There is a huge difference between the Dura max and the Medalists lines, I think there is more than one person on here that dosn't know which is which. I understand the Medalists is not a Mac (or Manners), but I promise you there is nothing "flemsy" about them. The adj. is very nice but a bit heavy. If the non adj fits you well as it does me (I've had both), its another option and very nice stock that dosnt cost near as much.

okie

Agreed. The Medalists I have are very rigid.
I had a Duramax and it was pretty flexible, about the same as some low end factory synthetic stocks. Lean towards the Medalist, of the two.

But it and a heavy contour goes right in without alteration.Mcmillans are nice but they are more for bragging rights ina way.They are better than b&c but the price is ridiculous.

I have two B&C a5's and a McMillan A5 adjustable. the biggest difference between the two stock is weight. I personally like the feel of the McMillan better. I don't see any difference in way they shoot. It all comes down to feel and preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: freedive10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I am still debating if I should drop the hammer on getting this stock!!</div></div>

dude......go fill up your bathtub.....if the stock floats....you'll have your answer there and then.....mostly

the next dilemma you got then is to anchor a stud or cup to low density foam ........let us know how that work out for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonbearman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But it and a heavy contour goes right in without alteration.Mcmillans are nice but they are more for bragging rights ina way.They are better than b&c but the price is ridiculous.</div></div>

On the B&C, would you or anyone happen to know if any/how much inletting it would take to put a Rock Creek M24 contour in the A5 adjustable??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: freedive10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I am still debating if I should drop the hammer on getting this stock!!</div></div>

dude......go fill up your bathtub.....if the stock floats....you'll have your answer there and then.....mostly

the next dilemma you got then is to anchor a stud or cup to low density foam ........let us know how that work out for you.</div></div>

Hmmm, seems that LoneWolfUSMC cut one down the middle and it was fiber glass and aluminum... no low density foam to attach to.

this brilliant stuff makes me laugh.....ain't the internet wonderful.....

next time some wanna-be breaks his stock cause some keyboard commando told him that the B&C stock was good to go.......i'll remind him or her of your enlightening post and reply.....

I have a short .308 in a B&C varmint/tac stock. No, it is not a McMillan, but for a bit over $200, it is just the ticket for a rifle that started out as an action with a takeoff barrel screwed on and headspace set.

It shoots about .75moa everyday and better on others.

I have several McMillans, but the B&C is a good buy and a good stock.

david

I have the B&C A5 medalist and its a great stock, nice and tight when I dropped my 308 700P on it. only thing I wish it had was a thumbwheel to raise and lower the cheek piece and a way to lock it in the same place everytime.