• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Belt + Holster Opinions

Blackjack988

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Woodbridge, NJ
So I'm looking to see what everyone's opinion on the best holster/belt combo for my p226. I am looking for an OWB holster who's primary purpose would be training and competition. Because I live in NJ, carrying is out of the question so no considerations need to be made for that. I'm looking at a few local "Tactical Handgun" courses to start off with and eventually want to move into IDPA and similar competitions. I'd eventually like to be able to attend the various tactical precision rifle matches but i'm still a bit off from that. Also, recommendations on magazine carriers would be helpful.

I don't really have a set budget and I generally have a buy once/cry once mentality so feel free to make suggestions at a few different levels. Let me know if I left anything out. Thanks in advance!

In a similar position as you but with an m&p pro. Im going to use a padded molle belt with molle ar/pistol mag pouch. Not the fastest pouch for comps but i can always undo the retention when i dont need it. Holster is where im stuck. Im looking at blade tech thigh rig with level 2 spring loaded hood. Also prob getting the tmms system for versitility. But the rig alone is $175. I havent pulled the trigger yet, exploring other options. Hope this helps a little

In a similar position as you but with an m&p pro. Im going to use a padded molle belt with molle ar/pistol mag pouch. Not the fastest pouch for comps but i can always undo the retention when i dont need it. Holster is where im stuck. Im looking at blade tech thigh rig with level 2 spring loaded hood. Also prob getting the tmms system for versitility. But the rig alone is $175. I havent pulled the trigger yet, exploring other options. Hope this helps a little

Interesting you mentioned the M&P as one of those is next on my list to purchase and will likely replace my p226 once I get comfortable with it. I strongly prefer a belt holster over a thigh holster personally and in order for it to be IDPA legal it would need to thread through belt loops so a padded MOLLE belt is out. Thanks for the insight though.

After some further research i'm looking at the following:

CR Speed Super Hi-Torque Range Belt - http://www.crspeed.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SUPERHITORQUEBELT
Blade Tech IDPA Shooters Pack - http://shop.blade-tech.com/idpa-competition-shooters-pack-p-6846.html

Anyone have any opinions on this setup?

Last edited:
Check out the Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt. I use one for my everyday carry and it supports my 1911 and extra mag just fine. I went with the 5 stitch version for extra stiffness. They make a 3 stitch version and a 5 stitch version with a polymer insert for a very ridged belt. I have a Comp-Tac holster for my M&P.

Bladetech holsters are what I use for competition. For run/gun/classes I like Raven Concealment.
My favorite belt is the Aegis from Ares Gear Aegis Belts - 4 Week Lead Time : Ares Gear I use it as my everyday belt, and really like it now that we have CCW in IL.

Thanks for the insight! What makes you prefer the Raven over the Bladetech for classes? Also, what made you choose the Aegis over the Ranger? I have a feeling your choices have to do with your ability to carry daily. Because this rig will be solely for competition/class use, I'm not really sure I mind the extra effort of unthreading the Ranger belt as I will not be using it daily.

Check out the Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt. I use one for my everyday carry and it supports my 1911 and extra mag just fine. I went with the 5 stitch version for extra stiffness. They make a 3 stitch version and a 5 stitch version with a polymer insert for a very ridged belt. I have a Comp-Tac holster for my M&P.

Thanks for the insight. I've added the Ti Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch belt to my list of considerations based on other reviews. At this point i'm trying to decide if I should just upgrade to the stiffer CSM for my use cases. Also I've started to heavily favor the Comp-Tac international because of its flexibility. They also offer a competition-oriented pack which is pricier but seems to be higher rated than the Blade Tech. So many choices!

Bladetech is more open and easier/faster to draw from, Raven tucks up close to the body and is better when moving or rolling around on the ground. It also stays out of the way of other weapons and kit. As far as belts, the Aegis is stiffer and makes a great everyday belt as well as class belt. I really like the buckle on the Aegis and being able to get the exact tension and length that I want. I had a Ranger for many years and got a little tired of having to take the buckle off to thread, but it is still a nice belt.

Made the switch to the Volund Gearworks Altas Belt a few months back and couldn't be happier. Had been using an SOE Riggers belt since 2008 that I loved but always felt it was a bit too burly and heavy. The Atlas is more than supportive enough to run a full size 1911, 2 pistol mags and 2 AR mags for training while the slim profile and light weight make it a pleasure to use daily. I was skeptical of the adjustment system but it just plain works.

Volund Gearworks

Definitely check out Off The Grid Concepts Sidewinder Series I got my holster from them last year and could do flips without my gun falling out. (Not that I do much flipping anymore..) Great retention but not too much that you would have to wrestle with it to get it out.

https://otghex.com/products/sidewinder-series/?navselect=group2

Right now I have it set up with the IWB clips but they come standard with OWB clips. (IWB are extra)

As far as a belt, I just picked up a 5.11 Tactical belt from Dick's for about $20 bucks

Hope this helps!

Raven, G-Code, Crossbreed, any type of Raven clone all work well.

Wilderness belts rock. I also have a Jones Tactical with a cobra buckle, but have used my regular 3-stitch wilderness more lately. It's more comfortable and doesn't look so tacticool.

If your not going to carry and take classes for other types of weapons systems, a padded belt setup from HSGI or similar might be a better way to go and you can just move things around as needed. G-code has the RTi system and RCS with the moduloader makes it's easy and quick to swap.

Made the switch to the Volund Gearworks Altas Belt a few months back and couldn't be happier. Had been using an SOE Riggers belt since 2008 that I loved but always felt it was a bit too burly and heavy. The Atlas is more than supportive enough to run a full size 1911, 2 pistol mags and 2 AR mags for training while the slim profile and light weight make it a pleasure to use daily. I was skeptical of the adjustment system but it just plain works.

Volund Gearworks

Do you have the G-buckle or Cobra buckle belt? I used a Cobra buckle belt from Endeavor Stitchworks prior to getting my Wilderness Tactical belt. While I liked the belt, the Cobra buckle was a PIA because I had to remove one end each time I wanted to mount my mag holders or OWB holster.

Jones Tactical on the belt
Since it is just competition and classes I would go with bladetech or safariland thumb drive both with a drop and offset.

The drop and offset will help with the draw

Do you have the G-buckle or Cobra buckle belt? I used a Cobra buckle belt from Endeavor Stitchworks prior to getting my Wilderness Tactical belt. While I liked the belt, the Cobra buckle was a PIA because I had to remove one end each time I wanted to mount my mag holders or OWB holster.

1.75" belt with the G-hook buckle. Totally agree, Cobra make it a PITA to run the belt through any loops, much less rigid loops. The G-hook is a breeze and it's so low profile you don't even feel that there's a buckle.

Viking Tactics Cobra + Viking Tactics BROKOS + HSGI Tacos + Blade-Tech holster with tec-lok attachment or safriland ALS = WIN. that wold set you up for tactical matches or pistol/carbine courses.

Drop me a PM if you need some help. We've got a pretty good stock of all the above.

I'm currently running three OTG holsters on various belts and mounts. I can't think of any complaints. Since you're looking at just competition use, check out their Adaptive Draw series which uses the G-code RTi mounting system.

This will give you a good amount of adjustment and mounting options such as belt mount, "Duty Mount" (a slight drop off the belt), drop leg, ect. Once you find the right amount of cant and get it all set up the way you like it, it's set. When you do eventually upgrade to your M&P, you'll just have to get the holster and mag carriers. it'll lock right up to your rig with zero modifications.

https://otghex.com/products/mkii-outside-waistband/?navselect=group3

OTG's retention is great, the build quality is top notch, and their customer service was been top notch. I had upgraded to a threaded barrel and they said I could send it back and they'll made the adjustment to my holster, or they could walk me through how to do it myself.

Jones Tactical on the belt
Since it is just competition and classes I would go with bladetech or safariland thumb drive both with a drop and offset.

The drop and offset will help with the draw

For straight comp, I'd look at the Safariland ELS system. For a comp/training combo rig, I'd get a stiff 1.75 instructors belt and a Safariland ALS holster (Automatic Locking System). You can adjust the cant so that the muzzle rakes very slightly forward (opposite of typical CCW holsters). This makes the draw quicker positioned right at 3:00. Even better, get an inner belt/outer belt system with velcro. Then, you can keep the inner belt on in the belt loops and easily remove the outer belt with holster, mag pouches, etc. In this case, get an outer belt with a Cobra buckle. Here's my run & gun setup showing the outer belt. The inner belt is not pictured.

3gun%20gear.JPG

NOTE: It can be confusing trying to decipher Safariland's nomenclature. You'll see both ALS and SLS. ALS refers to the internal locking mechanism that is deactivated naturally by the thumb when indexing to draw. SLS refers to a "hood" mechanism. You can get holsters with one, the other or both. I'd suggest getting just the ALS without SLS. (ELS refers to their modular attachment system.)

Here's a video that clearly shows both mechanisms clearly:

Safariland® Model 6360 ALS®/SLS Level III Retention? Mid Ride Duty Holster - YouTube

Last edited:
Viking Tactics Cobra + Viking Tactics BROKOS + HSGI Tacos + Blade-Tech holster with tec-lok attachment or safriland ALS = WIN. that wold set you up for tactical matches or pistol/carbine courses.

Or this. I run this setup for classes. Also it's nice because you can just throw it over whatever you're wearing. Downside, it's a bit hot in warm weather and a little cumbersome for competition. The Tacos are a royal PITA to get on, but are nice because they'll take different sized mags. You can see I've got a USGI 5.56 and a KAC 308 in the two tacos.

nagepa2u.jpg
u4e7u7aj.jpg
e9uvujad.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the really detailed responses so far. You're not making the choice any easier giving me a whole bunch of new options!

I'm going to have to do some more research into what everyone is suggesting. I know I want a holster with some flexibility that can be used either as a DOH holster or as a belt/paddle style depending on the comp/class i'm in.

So gents. Apparently (and I wasn't aware of this before) Safariland is going to be sending me a 50% off coupon to holsters.com because I signed up for IDPA. This has me looking very hard at an ELS setup. From my research it looks like the main ELS belt is 1.75 inches and that falls within IDPA guidelines for an acceptable belt assuming it can pass through the belt loops of whatever pants I happen to be wearing (which should work). Does anyone have experience running an ELS specifically for IDPA?

On the other hand, I could just get holsters and mag carriers from Safariland and get the belt separately.

I run a Safariland ELS/QLS with inner/outer belt setup for 3 gun and I really like it. Very easy to reconfigure for various stages. I use their widest belt (2.25), since I think that it is the only one that accepts both ELS and QLS mounts. I think the 1.75 belt will only accept ELS and I wanted the option of the more robust QLS mount for my pistol. Even with the smaller ELS mounts, the 1.75 belt will be hard to thread through all but two belt loops and may be too thick for IDPA rules and I don't think you can use the inner/outer belt system in IDPA.