• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Belt or Chest Rig Carried Binos

Supersum1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2018
NE
Last fall, went to the Sniper's Unknown Challenge. A large part of the competition was finding and identifying targets on the clock. At the time I used my LRF, but recognized how useful bino's would have been. So now I'm looking for information on bino's and a way to carry them on my battle belt or chest rig (Spiritus Systems Micro Fight). I'd rather not carry them in my pack for this as i want quick access to them. I'd like to stay under about $1k, although I could stretch for something higher if it's truely worth it (such as bino/LRF).

To the carry question it’s just personal preference. I don’t care for weight on my hips. YMMV.

Alaska Guide Creations makes a great chest mounted bino harness. Easy access and very secure. You do have to remember it when shooting prone though. It can be done, but depending on how you wear it, it can be pretty uncomfortable and distracting. The clips on it do allow for you to unclip and move it to the side quickly as long as you remember to do it.

I just purchased the Marsupial Gear harness. Initial impressions are good. I like that it’s minimal in design and the lid folds away- very intuitive and all one handed operation.

When I want to carry the gear (kestrel, optics, drop pouch, multi-tool, water etc) on belt or chest rig I use Safariland ELS connectors making modularity of gear menu & position choices easy.
Here is a Swarovski 8x30 LRF shown; carry the Swarovski CL binos same way.
IMG_5172 copy 2.JPG
IMG_5173 copy.JPG
IMG_5175 copy 2.JPG

What size binos are people using for something like this? I imagine x56 and x50 would definitely be too big, probably x42 as well. What about x32s or do you need to go down to x25s?

I have 8x32 Khales and do not carry them anymore due to weight, not size. Performance smokes my Leica 2400 but I am not athletic any more.

Put them on the side of your pack in a pouch where you can get at them, or put them in your cargo pants pocket.

Your looking for targets and PID; not spotting or needing to read the numbers off of license plates at 800 yards. The key here is not to buy 2k+ binoculars where you are scared that the sun is going to fade the finish let alone have them bobble around inside a pouch or pocket.

Northrup Grumman M24 binculars in your pants pocket or use something like the TYR Tactical MSS sniper pouch on the side of your ruck to put admin items and the binos in; I like the MSS better than a larger GP pouch as its shaped for something like binoculars to stand up straight in.

Hey Supersum1,

Hate I missed the Unknown Sniper last year (it was at my home range), but I was in Wyoming killing a mulie and speed goat. (y)

I've shot both of the Bushnell Sniper's and have figured out IMO the range finder bino's are the way to roll. I just wish I would have had my new Kilo3000's back in February, it would have made a big difference. I had my Swaro 15x56 for spotting and my Kilo2400BDX for ranging. I found myself staying in the Kilo for ranging and spotting instead of going back and forth to save on time. It would have been SO much easier with the range finding bino's. We managed to scratch out a 3rd in Mech, so I can't bitch too much. :)

For as carrying them; I just ordered a 5.11 6"x6" padded mole pouch. Someone on the Sig Kilo3000 thread said it'll fit perfect so I ordered one. I'll probably hook it to my pack, or I can switch it to my belt if I need to. I haven't used them in a match yet, but I have played with them on the range. They will be plenty good for matches. Are they good as the Swaro's? NO, but I don't expect them to be. Cool thing is they Bluetooth directly to my Kestrel just like the 2400BDX's. That definitely was a plus while on the clock.

Reactions: Supersum1
I have the Alaska Guide Creations for my geovids. The binoculars are right there for quick use, comfortable, have extra pouches to store small stuff, plus I picked up the pistol houlster they have that attaches to the chest rig. It works well.