• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bench order

rollover610

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
OryGun
hey all i just got done building a new bench for our new place we just moved into. and i was wondering if any of you had any specific order that you mounted your tools and press and tumbler and such. im very big on the concept of hand speed. making everything available to your hands so your not making unnecessary and time consuming extra steps.

my bench is 5 feet by 2 feet and my stuff consists of a tumblers tumbler an RCBS press hand trimmer and magnetic scale. i know they aren't the best but they were handed down and seem to work for now. im soon to get a gracey trimmer and maybe a new tumbler.

but anyways any pics and or advice on the order you have you benches set up would be much appreciated. thanks guys.

Re: bench order

Use some c-clamps and move them around in different configurations until you find the best set up for you on the bench.

Don't leave your tumbler on the bench with your powder for too long. Some say the shaking and vibrating will break down your powder and increase burn rate. I've never seen it done but I try to keep my tumbler on the floor or in another room. Just my 2 cents

T-nuts and steel plates are your friends.

Run the T-nuts up from under the bench and use good size bolts to attach the steel plate to the bench. Drill and tap the steel plate to fit the press. Go down to the auto parts store and get some Grade 8 bolts add a washer and lock tight. The plate displaces any flex from your bench (I A$$uME it's wood). If you don't like the location or need to add more just add T-nuts.

On position (I'm right handed) I like my press mounted to the left with about a foot of table clear on that side. That gives me plenty of room for a reloading block on the left and one on the right and lots of table space to the right to throw powder, mic cases, mount a drill press
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

The bench I use now is some thirty years old, it was my third effort and I finally got it right. The top is 7 ft. by 2 ft., 42" high so I can use it standing. I have a swiveling "bar" stool with back so I can work seated easily, got it at a yard sale for cheap.

I'm right handed and work the press the press with my right hand. The press is mounted near the right corner (kept about 10" of free space to it's right for "stuff"), leaving lots of clear space to it's left. My powder emasure stand is bolted almost directly behind the press, middle of the bench, but the stand is turned a bit to the left so I can easily have access to it while standing at the press operator location, without moving. My (beam) scale sits on a wide shelf just to the left of the measure, at about nose height so I can read it easy. With that set of positions, I can stand at the press while I size dnd deprime the cases, then reprime them (with a Lee AutoPrime), set the cases in a loading block, then drop and trickle/weigh each charge, if I wish, OR simply drop charges into a filled block, and finish by seating bullets, all without moving a aingle step; GOOD work flow!

I have a sturdy 3 1/2" swiveling machinest vise (from Lowe's tool department) mounted on the left front corner of the bench top. The vise is handy in itself but, by mounting them on wood blocks I can easily clamp my case trimmer, concentricity gage, Dremel tool, etc, in the vise and use them as needed.

A "bookcase" shelf unit sits on the bench top. It's 2"x8" boards, full bench width and almost to the ceiling (anchored to the wall too), with the sturdy shelves to hold a lot of weight. It holds my powder, bullets, primers and loaded round supplies. And a radio too.

You are unlikely to be happy with the tumbler set up in any fixed place. Store it and your media under the bench on a lower shelf and set it on the floor to work. Or set it on a clean 5 gal plastic paint bucket with a lid, and you can also store your spare media in it.

Install a few electrical outlets on your bench so you can get power for the tumbler, battery chargers, etc, easily. A inexpensive multi-outlet "power strip" works good.

You will greatly appreciate having good light on your new bench. I think a dual tube 48" florescent "Shop Light" fixture is a minimum, mine is a four tube fixture and it's NOT too much! Hang the fixture above the front edge of the bench top so it can easily shine straight down on your work.

Install a kitchen type paper towel dispenser on or very near your bench. Keep a quart can of denatured alcohol close by, use the alcohol and towels to clean your hands before handling primers.

A normal type gray metal "office" supply storage cabinet is great for bulk item storeage. I got mine, dented and scuffed a bit, from an office supply salvage outlet for not much, cheaper than I could have built one for anyway. It holds dies (now), cast bullet stuff - molds, lead, dipper, electric pot, wheel weights, bullet lube, metal flux, alloy ingots, lubrasizer, gas checks - plus my case sizing lube, gun cleaning supplies, micrometers, dial calipers, case trimmer, neck turner, loading blocks etc.

Sounds like a good build and lots of trial/error before perfected. Do you have any pics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use some c-clamps and move them around in different configurations until you find the best set up for you on the bench. </div></div>
+1

C-clamps are the answer. What was the question again?
wink.gif

I've putzed around with mounting stuff permanently - some things you just have to. Progressive presses, for instance. They don't do very well with flopping around not rigidly mounted to the bench, and are generally deep enough that most c-clamps (at least the ones I can afford) won't reach - hence I have to mount them permanently. But my 'main' single stage press... that usually ends up mounted via c-clamps... forever. I've found that mounting it to a wooden board w/ tee-nuts (similar to the metal plate mentioned in an earlier post, but I have access to woodworking stuff, so thats the direction I go) makes it easier to clamp, but I still clamp it.

Otherwise as soon as I buy a new piece of gear, inevitably it needs to go in a place that cramps the access to my single-stage press. So now everything - the big Forster Co-Ax, the little RCBS Partner with the bullet puller, the two Lee Reloader presses w/ the neck turner sizing mandrel and the Universal decapping die, as well as all my other gizzies (Sinclair/Wilson case trimmer, Dillon Super Swager, etc.) are mounted on wood plates, and get clamped to the bench as needed - and then stored out of the way.

I have been sorely tempted to inlet a couple strips of tee-track down the top of the bench, and mount some sliding blocks w/ toggle clamps to make things even slicker/easier to clamp tool plates wherever I fancy, but its way down on my priority list right now
wink.gif

I am currently using this setup, I am right handed and it works for me. You can see in the corner that there is a little open space between the presses, I use that for powder dispensing where I can set ammo trays on either side.

I am building a new shop that's also going to have a handloading room in it.

2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Gordo you don't know where I could find a little solo 1000 do ya? </div></div>

Those 25 lb kegs are kinda cool are'nt they. Yeah I keep a few pounds around
cool.gif

There used to be a huge lot to lot variation with it. I learned the hard way and stock up on it.

T-bolts and steel plates are your friends. I like this idea. On our alumunmia semi bulk tankers uses the same prinicapal. That is always plate against the tank surface before joining other fixutures to it. The plate absorbs the working load and spreads it over a greater area,and keeping the bolt holes intact. RCBS offers such a plate and/or one can make his own.

thanks for all the great tips guys! the last bench i did was gust kinda thrown together. this one is a very basic bench but i dressed it up a little with oak laminate and black stain. ill be keeping it for a while so i want to do the setup right the first time.