• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bench top Tripod suggestions

NoveSPR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Gov. Blago's Paradise
Looking for some suggestions on a bench top tripod and head that would be supporting a Leica 77 straight Televid. In the unit, I'm looking for:

1) the stability to maintain the heft of a 77 mm scope safely

2) ability to adjust low enough for bench use

3) 100-150 price point (to include head)

I'm currently looking at the Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 but I'm not certain it will adjust low enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you considered a mount that clamps to the bench? Sinclair has one that I know of, or you could make one using a pipe clamp.

Take a look at the Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini tripod , I use one with my HD65 next to my rifle for calling strikes .

I do not have any advice on a good benchtop tripod but I recently purchased a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum Tripod that will allow you to set it up about a low as you can think, although the legs will be spread pretty far out for that configuration. However, the center column can be set horizontal which would allow you to set the tripod up adjacent to the bench and have the spotting scope project over it as it would with a benchtop. There are other brands that also have this feature, Manfrottto to name one, but I cannot speak for the quality of them. The Vanguard I purchased is very high quality and I could see it lasting a long time. Price is slightly higher than what you mentioned but not obscene. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I am using this table top kit from Manfrotto - it even has a ball head.
The "table top kit" has an extension - but I don't use it in this setting. The non kit is just the table top tripod.

Here you can see it setup on a bench with my Kowa scope on it - nice and low to the bench-top.
13367841834_514a9e16a1_z.jpg

Thanks to all, for your input. 7GRT, I looked at several, but in the end went with your suggestion (Velbon ultra maxi mini) even though the name is a bit odd. It pretty much seemed to fit the bill- on paper at least. I'll see when it shows up, how it works out.

If anyone knows of who or where I can get my hands on a Leica Field Case for the straight body 77 Televid, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again